Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
valar84
valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox + Wifi
Problem with streaming since last update

Don't know if anyone has the same problem, but ever since the last update, which is otherwise excellent, I've had problems with streaming videos on the Vox from Youtube or the browser. The videos work well, but once every other minute, the video stutters. I've noticed that at that moment, the bar below the video shows that the buffered part of the video that has already been downloaded just vanishes (the blue part of the bar right to the cursor). It's like the Vox emptied the video cache while it was playing, forcing the video to stop and wait for the download to begin again, causing it to stutter.

I've checked the amount of storage on my Vox and it makes no sense. I have something like 700 MB of app storage remaining and nearly 5 GB of free space on the internal SD card (I put my videos and music on an external microSD card).

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem and if you've solved it. Otherwise, I might decide to just do a factory reset of my device to see if it solves the problem.
valar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
valar84
valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I did a factory reset and the problem is still there. It's very annoying, considering I was using the Vox to watch videos online a lot.

No one else has that problem?
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
gs1973
gs1973 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Haven't tried with videos but something similar is happening with my music. Only started after the update.
Sometimes stutters or stops all together. Player tells me it's playing one song but in fact playing another and now I've lost the sound...
I've done a restore and the issues are still there.
gs1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
mumsews
mumsews began at the beginning.

I get this when I go onto FB occasionaly - it appears to be whenever the unit is also checking for emails.
mumsews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
bobbert
bobbert began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
get a task killer, set it to crazy aggressive and disable all the programs and services running in the background. I use "advanced task killer free". Since the upgrade the amount of unwanted and unnecessary junk that hogs resources and causes videos to stutter is beyond annoying.
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
valar84

I tried doing that, it didn't work. Plus, the behavior doesn't fit a device that struggles with many running programs or with the video. I have seen devices that struggled to play videos, the stutter is constant, with the video freezing for a few seconds while sound continues playing and the like. This is not it.

As I said, it really looks like the device is emptying the cache every 30 seconds or so, so it starts downloading the video and playing it, and for a while it works. But then the cache empties, the data is gone, so the Vox can't play a video without data and stop for a second, while the download restarts. That's how it looks like.

And if I play HD videos that are on the device itself, not streaming, there is no problem at all, so it's evidently not the CPU or GPU that screws it up. They're doing fine, it's really a problem of the temporary files used when streaming a video online.

On a different level, I've noticed that if I keep a SD card mounted in the device, it never really goes to sleep and the battery drains relatively quickly, maybe 10% per hour. If I unmount it, the device sleeps well and can take 15 hours to lose 10% battery power.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Deeden
Deeden began at the beginning.

Audio streaming cuts out

There is a problem with audio streaming too. Since the last update, the TuneInRadio app no longer plays continuously. Before the update, this app worked reliably until I turned it off, but now it cuts out when the current piece of music finishes. If I restart the app, a message appears, saying that streaming stopped. Then the current piece plays, and the whole thing cuts out again. I hope the Vox team will look into fixing this glitch.
Deeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

For me the update seemed to speed things up on my Vox but lately I have noticed (despite using Advanced Task Killer) that my Vox is once again slowing down. It once again takes forever to load and completely come to life when being turned on at first. It's very slow when surfing the internet and using facebook (despite good internet speeds). When it decides to update the Kobo library it takes forever (even when there are no new books for it to download or only one new book). Also, while updating the library or checking for updates it is impossible to do anything else on the Vox without it locking up. When I have tried to watch a video from YouTube on my Vox its been so slow that I usually give up before the video starts to stream. I don't really understand why after having experienced such an improvement from the update in the beginning things are now once again coming undone. Using my Vox for anything outside of eReading is now pretty much out of the question.

Good luck solving your issues with YouTube. At this point I'm done with trying to troubleshoot my issues or dealing with Kobo Support. I'll just use it as an eReader until it doesn't work for that purpose and then replace it with an android tablet and run the Kobo app there.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeden View Post
There is a problem with audio streaming too. Since the last update, the TuneInRadio app no longer plays continuously. Before the update, this app worked reliably until I turned it off, but now it cuts out when the current piece of music finishes. If I restart the app, a message appears, saying that streaming stopped. Then the current piece plays, and the whole thing cuts out again. I hope the Vox team will look into fixing this glitch.
I think I had TuneIn shut off the other day when the screen went off. Then I checked and found I'd set Wi-Fi sleep policy to turn off when the screen turns off, so I changed it to Never. (That's Menu - Wireless Networks - Wi-Fi Settings - press Menu again, then Advanced and it's at the top of the list)

Anyway, I just Googled TuneIn Radio stopping on Android and it seems others are also seeing this, sometimes stopping after 10 minutes. Mine's been playing now for about 20 minutes since I first saw this message and started messing around.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote