Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #31
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I think we can both agree the original news, EMI offering non-DRM music finally, is good news.
Good news because it's a step in the right direction. But it still falls short.

The iPod is pretty much the only device that supports AAC. iTunes still doesn't sell MP3 (which is the standard) and therefore doesn't sell what I want.

For $1.30 (which is 30% higher than what the market charges), I expect to get exactly what I want.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #32
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
The iPod is pretty much the only device that supports AAC.
Yeah, I was recently suprised by that too since AAC is an open standard. I know iPods and the Zune support it, but most of the "2nd tier" manufacturers like Creative and Sandisk don't.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #33
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
The iPod is pretty much the only device that supports AAC. iTunes still doesn't sell MP3 (which is the standard) and therefore doesn't sell what I want.
Don't forget: You can always burn iTunes music onto a CD, and make DRM-free MP3s from that. I simply start a sound recorder, play the song from iTunes, and save that as an MP3. It's not hard, I save my CDs for albums, and I don't even own an iPod.*

I think we ALL agree that no-DRM music (and e-books) are good, and that both still have a ways to go to be great. We may argue about the proper price for an MP3 single, but we ALL agree that e-books' average price should be considerably less than they are.

And obviously, all this is being done because of business, and the pursuit of profit... not for altruistic motives. But that doesn't mean we can't still applaud their efforts and encourage them to do more.

*Just wanted to make sure no one here thought the matching initials were more than a coincidence...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Quote:
The iPod is pretty much the only device that supports AAC.
Yeah, I was recently suprised by that too since AAC is an open standard. I know iPods and the Zune support it, but most of the "2nd tier" manufacturers like Creative and Sandisk don't.
The Sony Reader does.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #35
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe this development will convince the U.S. and U.K. governments to reconsider their support for DRM to bolster and protect the music and book industries.
Advert
Old 04-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #36
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
So, in other words, iTunes has bought their prices down to be competitive with the non-DRM sites. <sarcasm>Wow</sarcasm>
What other non-DRM sites with music from mainstream labels would those be?
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #37
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
What other non-DRM sites with music from mainstream labels would those be?
Audio Lunchbox comes to mind.

But I wasn't talking about "mainstream" music. I was talking about music in general.

But what is "mainstream" music anyway? The drivel on the radio (which - at least in my area - seems to be rehashing alot from the 1980's) maybe?

With the radio getting worse and worse, and people leaving it for their MP3 players, what plays on the radio isn't "mainstream" to me.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But what is "mainstream" music anyway?
These days, the phrase doesn't mean much. The online music market is opening up everyone's horizons beyond the stuff (and saying "stuff," I'm being kind) they push in traditional markets. Being a jazz fan myself, I get my music online or from satellite radio... and I record more and more of my vintage vinyls into my MP3 player.