Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It seems to me that almost anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs could probably fit in here.

A quick random scan found the following near the end of "The Return of Tarzan":
Quote:
The next morning, as they were preparing to embark upon the cruiser, Tarzan ventured a suggestion to Jane Porter.

"Wild beasts are supposed to be devoid of sentiment," he said, "but nevertheless I should like to be married in the cabin where I was born, beside the graves of my mother and my father, and surrounded by the savage jungle that always has been my home."

"Would it be quite regular, dear?" she asked. "For if it would I know of no other place in which I should rather be married to my forest god than beneath the shade of his primeval forest."
You can find the equivalent, and better, in almost any of them you pick up, whether it's Tarzan in his jungle, or John Carter on Mars, etc. etc. etc. And the covers!

Discard your PC inclinations, turn off your credibility sensor, and push away your desire for subtlety. Take a deep breath of credulity and dive in.

Last edited by gmw; 01-17-2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Typo.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
You mean that someone else actually read that book? The only reason I bought that was because I really liked the Brothers Hidebrandt. I bought their LOTR calendars for several years.
Luckily I didn't buy it, but got it from the library back in '79.
I had those calendars also. I sold them on eBay when the LOTR films came out.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone read Greyfax Grimwald by Niel Hancock. It was the first book of the Circle of Light. I don't remember much about it, but I remember thinking it was awful. I found it soon after I first read LOTR when therer really wasn't much contemporary fantasy to choose from.

Edit: It seems to be back in print, for the kindle at least.

Last edited by BenG; 01-17-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #19
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Deathlands, it is like crack I have read 51
endworld, GAH I have read them all.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Anyone read Greyfax Grimwald by Niel Hancock. It was the first book of the Circle of Light. I don't remember much about it, but I remember thinking it was awful. I found it soon after I first read LOTR when therer really wasn't much contemporary fantasy to choose from.

Edit: It seems to be back in print, for the kindle at least.

I had all of these at one time, buying them when they came out.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), I never read them.

Are they really that awful?

Do they really stink like a skunk trapped under a house?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #21
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I can't give any titles - my grey cells refuse to retain any details if it reaches a level of dreadfulness sufficient to make me wish I'd never started it ........

Bit like terrible expensive restaurant meals that you've had to pay for ........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #22
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Any of the books from the Richard Blade series.

This series spanned the 1970's and were written by a collection of authors under the pseudonym "Jeffrey Lord." Part James Bond, part Conan the Barbarian, all guilty pleasure.

I found one of these in a used bookstore, read it, and began a search for the rest. A terrible, sexist, horrible, wonderful, can't-put-them-down, don't-want-to-pick-them-back-up type of read if there ever was one.

Here is the cover form the debut issue The Bronze Axe:

And a quote from same issue:
Quote:
Cold water was dashed into his face. Blade, stung and shocked by the icy blast, sat up with a muffled curse. What in hell?

"There," said the girl. "That is better. I was sure you were not dead. Now you must help me. At once. I, Princess Taleen, command it!"

Blade sat up, squeegeed water from his eyes with his fingers, and stared at her. It was typical of Blade a facet of his character which had saved his life many times over that he accepted, immediately and without question, the realities of a situation. Not for a moment did he believe himself mad. Something had gone wrong with Lord Leighton's experiment. As simple as that. He would sort it out later.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #23
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"squeegeed water from his eyes"!

My potential read list is exploding at the seams already.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, yes, those Richard Blade series - a strange bastardization of genres.

I see these all the time, all over the place.

But I have yet to see one in an outhouse.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #25
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I had all of these at one time, buying them when they came out.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), I never read them.

Are they really that awful?

Do they really stink like a skunk trapped under a house?
I don't remember anything about the book itself except for the cover. I only remember thinking it was awful but I don't remember why.
I'm tempted to buy the kindle version just to find out.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #26
BenG
Home Guard

I remember the Blade books though I never read any. There were also editions with racier covers.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #27
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oooh, my library has book number two from the Blade series. It might be going onto my pile.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #28
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I remember the Blade books though I never read any. There were also editions with racier covers.
You might be thinking of the GOR series. There were re-issues that dropped the Boris Vallejo art for photographic covers.

Actually, the GOR books by John Norman is probably yet another series that belongs in this list.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
You might be thinking of the GOR series. There were re-issues that dropped the Boris Vallejo art for photographic covers.

Actually, the GOR books by John Norman is probably yet another series that belongs in this list.

Unreadable! (In my opinion.)

However, the first 4 books (some would argue only the first 3 books) were OK.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post

No I was thinking of covers like this one
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3671/1...db2d97b7_b.jpg