Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

I guess I'm surprised that you guys are complaining about lack of 3G, especially free 3G. First of all 3G is painfully slow and very unreliable compared to WiFi. Second, 3G where you stream lots of videos would be cost prohibitive! Read the fine print on almost every cellular data plan. Most of them have a 5GB limit but call that unlimited. Go over 5GB and you have to mortgage your house to pay the bill. Anyone who thinks Amazon should have provided free 3G is naive. Even pay for 3G is a waste IMO. As I stated, those video files will not be nearly as large as you think and the KF will hold plenty for you to pop over to the beach and watch a video or 5.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #32
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
The majority of people wouldn't know what to do with a USB slot. Remember, most of us are in the minority. If I hand my dad a kindle fire with an sd slot & an sd card he wouldn't know what to do. Same with the majority of people I encounter. Cloud is what it's all about. Whether you like it or not most of your personal information is already in the cloud. What's the harm in just having a few movies, your music library or some docs up there. With the backbone amazon has, your stuff is good to go.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #33
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I guess I'm surprised that you guys are complaining about lack of 3G, especially free 3G. First of all 3G is painfully slow and very unreliable compared to WiFi. Second, 3G where you stream lots of videos would be cost prohibitive! Read the fine print on almost every cellular data plan. Most of them have a 5GB limit but call that unlimited. Go over 5GB and you have to mortgage your house to pay the bill. Anyone who thinks Amazon should have provided free 3G is naive. Even pay for 3G is a waste IMO. As I stated, those video files will not be nearly as large as you think and the KF will hold plenty for you to pop over to the beach and watch a video or 5.
I only disagree with the 1st part. There are plenty of times where I've streamed Netflix or hulu + on my iPhone @ work.....during lunch and the quality was incredible.

Anyway I agree that I can completely understand why amazon would not have 3G on the Fire. Especially free. They can't afford to pay for all that bandwidth.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
The majority of people wouldn't know what to do with a USB slot. Remember, most of us are in the minority. If I hand my dad a kindle fire with an sd slot & an sd card he wouldn't know what to do. Same with the majority of people I encounter. Cloud is what it's all about. Whether you like it or not most of your personal information is already in the cloud. What's the harm in just having a few movies, your music library or some docs up there. With the backbone amazon has, your stuff is good to go.
Perhaps it's different in the US, but one issue with the cloud is that, in the UK at least, the most common form of broadband internet access is ADSL, where downloads are much faster than uploads. Eg, with my ADSL connection, I get about 4Mbps download speed, but only about 350kbsp upload speed - more than 10x slower. It would take an eternity to upload movies to the cloud for subsequent downloading again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #35
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps it's different in the US, but one issue with the cloud is that, in the UK at least, the most common form of broadband internet access is ADSL, where downloads are much faster than uploads. Eg, with my ADSL connection, I get about 4Mbps download speed, but only about 350kbsp upload speed - more than 10x slower. It would take an eternity to upload movies to the cloud for subsequent downloading again.
I could understand that then. With amazon specifically though, when you buy something it stays in the cloud. So you don't have to upload anything. For instance, I bought a few songs last weekend & amazon asked if I wanted to save to my cloud drive & also download. I did both. But there would be no reason to upload in that case. That's here in the US, so yeah I don't know how much different it would be.

Now if you did have to upload something you should do it ahead of time. I also uploaded music to my cloud storage & I just let it run overnight when it would it wouldn't affect my connection because my wife & I both work from home. We also stream all of our movies & tv at night after work. So the upload at night helped, took a few days of off & on, but it worked.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Well yes, but Amazon wants to rent you the movie so no need to upload. This hardware is an outlet for their online store. They want to stream movies, music, audio books, and likely even text books at some point.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Indeed - I do appreciate that. I was thinking specifically of the practicality of using the cloud for your own content. Probably fine for books (small), or even music (moderately large), but it just doesn't work for video.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #38
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
No, it's a USB client, not a USB host. ie, it's just like an eInk Kindle - you can plug it into a PC to charge it, or to transfer files to it, but you can't connect other USB devices to it.
My Coby 7024 7" tablet came with an adapter cable that allows me to connect keyboards, mice and thumb drives to the single mini usb port. It runs Android 2.2 (not rooted) and in the settings menu you can select the usb port to be either a device or a host port.

I doubt that the Fire will allow this but Android does. Maybe rooting will do it.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #39
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Good luck with that. All the $200 range Android tablets I've seen are pretty bad. I doubt you will get as much bang from the buck from any other low-priced tablet.
The Lenovo Ideapad A1 looks interesting. Supposed to be released this month and sell for $199 running Gingerbread. Little is known about it except that it is supposed to have a 1024X600 IPS screen, micro sd card, mini hdmi, a usb port and a built in GPS.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #40
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
They want to keep the first release simple, and at that killer price point.

Eventually, if not sooner, I expect they will copy Apple (again) and offer other, more profitable options. E.g. there's iPod Touch 8Gb, then 32Gb, finally 64Gb. 199/299/399. I now know I could have made a go of 8Gb (and would have preferred a non existent 16Gb option), but went with 32 Just In Case. Apple got more of my money as a result, and it didn't cost them anything close to $100 for the 24Gb I have yet to use.

Or maybe they just want to sell more Cloud storage.

And we'll see, maybe you'll be able to 'pin' content so it is available offline, like Kindle for Web, and won't have to stream every darn thing. Though that is usually a very practical option for video that you're only going to view one time.

I would really like to see Audible content streaming and synching so I can switch between Fire and my iPod Touch without losing my place.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-05-2011 at 10:33 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #41
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah it should have been 16gb at min, but I did pony up the $20 for a year of 20gb Storage and for that I get unlimited music uploads I've already uploaded 26 gb of music in VBR MP3's and it works well streaming to my other android tablet using the amazon App, and uploading tv show to pull down later won't be too bad.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #42
shadenfroh
shadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toys

Device: none
The Lenovo A1 has made it really competitive now. It has two cameras, bluetooth, gps, and microSD & SD slot.

And there's a deal to get the 16GB version for $230

My interest in the Fire has nearly been extinguished.
shadenfroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #43
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Good luck with that. All the $200 range Android tablets I've seen are pretty bad. I doubt you will get as much bang from the buck from any other low-priced tablet.
What about a rooted nook color? They show up under $200, and probably will more now that the fire is coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadenfroh View Post
The Lenovo A1 has made it really competitive now. It has two cameras, bluetooth, gps, and microSD & SD slot.

And there's a deal to get the 16GB version for $230

My interest in the Fire has nearly been extinguished.
I was excited about it for about 10 minutes. Then I bought a Nook Color for $149 instead. I felt like I'd get more flexibility for a lower price. (Ooops...I mean I was excited about the Fire for about 10 minutes, not the Lenovo!)
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Well, I think the assumption is that people will mostly use it in their own homes, which likely have Wi-Fi internet. I'm not even sure you can get a wired only router these days.
I know my Modem is both wired and wireless so I think you might be right about that.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I now know I could have made a go of 8Gb (and would have preferred a non existent 16Gb option), but went with 32 Just In Case. Apple got more of my money as a result, and it didn't cost them anything close to $100 for the 24Gb I have yet to use.
I started with 8GB and exchanged it for 32GB when I discovered 8GB wasn't enough. I'm now at 12GB with apps, audiobooks and a few videos. I store no music on my touch. 16GB would've been plenty, but there was no option for it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote