Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Netflix released for Android - limited to five (5!) specific devices

Quote:
Finally, Netflix has come to the Android platform. Or some of it, at least.
Quote:
As of today, four HTC model phones (the Incredible, EVO 4G, G2, Nexus One) and the Samsung Nexus S are the only devices capable of running the app.
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/...android-phone/
http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/12/n...tibility-moot/

A slide from Google I/O earlier this week says there are 36 OEMs...

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No Galaxy S, but the Nexus S has it??? They're basically the same hardware. Not that I'd probably use it much anyway. I hardly ever use TV.com, Sprint TV or HBO Go, but it'd be nice to be included.

I see some folks on XDA have got it working on the Nook Color.

Edit: I just realized that post was kinda whiny. It is good to see Android get supported and hopefully we'll see more support soon. I'd hope support for honeycomb tablets would hopefully be coming soon.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-13-2011 at 01:16 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Yes, just give the XDA-developer hacks a few days or weeks.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Yes, just give the XDA-developer hacks a few days or weeks.
Lol they wasted no time and had it up for the droid x
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you use the PlayOn app you can view Netflix on many other Android devices. The downside is that the picture quality on anything but a phone is not so hot. I'll bet you that's one of the limitations for the Netflix app.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If you use the PlayOn app you can view Netflix on many other Android devices. The downside is that the picture quality on anything but a phone is not so hot. I'll bet you that's one of the limitations for the Netflix app.

Well the Video quality of Netflix is ALWAYS not so hot no matter where you stream it. I have a Roku and the HD's are OK not great but decent enough. The rest the video quality is horrible even on the best TV's.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I got it working on my Nook Color - pretty easy actually.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Well the Video quality of Netflix is ALWAYS not so hot no matter where you stream it. I have a Roku and the HD's are OK not great but decent enough. The rest the video quality is horrible even on the best TV's.
I stream Netflix and Amazon VOD to a Panasonic HDTV and a Vizio HDTV using the TV's apps and picture quality is really good for SD and excellent for HD. However I'm on FIOS internet and have a big pipe to my house.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I stream Netflix and Amazon VOD to a Panasonic HDTV and a Vizio HDTV using the TV's apps and picture quality is really good for SD and excellent for HD. However I'm on FIOS internet and have a big pipe to my house.
*sigh* I want Fios, I have comcast and it's pretty solid but I think Fios is better.
My set up is Comcast HD --> Vizio HDTV---> Roku --> Panasonic Blu ray.

Also I'm sort of a blu ray snob when it comes to picture quality. You watch The Dark Knight or Avatar on Blu ray and then watch netflix then I you'll know what I mean

but Amazon HD VOD is pretty sweet for streaming.

Last edited by boswd; 05-13-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I can easily tell the difference between SD and HD but on my Panasonic 54" plasma I can't tell much of any difference in Blu ray versus streamed HD. Where I can really see the difference is watching 3D at home versus the movie theater. It is so much better at home.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There's an updated App in the market today. It supports more phones directly and no longer automatically locks out other devices.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
it's kinda good and sad at the same time that now supports the OG droid.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote