Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
"I'd like to read this book on Kindle"

Such a nice little link under all the books we'd like to see as ebooks but are not yet available in that format.

It does make me feel like my opinion is important to Amazon (and maybe even the publishers-!-) but does anyone know if it makes any difference at all whether you click the link or not? I can't really imagine Amazon saying to a publisher or copyright holder, "Hey, someone requested your book in digital form, you'd better do it quick!"

Have any of you seen a book they requested as ebook actually appear as an ebook later?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
not yet
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Nothing that I've personally clicked, but someone on the Amazon forums recently reported that a book they'd clicked had become available on kindle. Just don't know whether it was due to the clicking or not...it's very possible it was a coincidence.

I'd suspect they'd need quite a few clicks before the publisher would think there was a big appetite for a particular title.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
malliemcg
malliemcg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Kindle3-WiFi
I'd like the equivalent for the kindle store. I'd like to buy this in <<Australia>> there are too many books just not available, and as a consumer, there is no good reason for it. Perhaps such an action would encourage publishers to pull their fingers out...
malliemcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have seen kindle books appear after I have clicked, but it normally takes a long time, and it is probably less than 10% of the total clicked. It's difficult to tell whether the clicking helps. Hopefully Amazon presents the statistics to the publishers. On the other hand, it may be a way of getting us to stick around -- hoping that we are making a difference. Either way, it is a good marketing strategy.

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I seem to recall a statement by someone presumably in the know that the clicks are accumulated for a period (such a month) and then sent to the publishers.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Hope it works for "The History of Love"

Bought Nicole Krauss's new novel, Great House, for the Kindle today, and tried to buy her earlier one, The History of Love, but it wasn't available as an e-book so I clicked "I'd like to read...." The NYT review of Great House talks about how it reworks some of the same themes from The History of Love, so it'll be interesting to see if the new book generates demand for an electronic version of the earlier one.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
I have to agree with malliemcg. I'd prefer a "I demand this ebook available in Europe" in Kindle Store.
Georestriction is utterly stupid!

Last edited by Bikeridr; 10-16-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Replaced "want" with "demand"
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
Rie142
Rie142 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Such a nice little link under all the books we'd like to see as ebooks but are not yet available in that format.

Have any of you seen a book they requested as ebook actually appear as an ebook later?
Yes I have seen several.
Rie142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
It is good to hear that some people have seen books become eBooks after they have clicked the Amazon link requesting it. I haven't yet seen any of my requests granted, but in hopes that it makes a difference - eventually - I will continue to use the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
I have to agree with malliemcg. I'd prefer a "I demand this ebook available in Europe" in Kindle Store.
Georestriction is utterly stupid!
I am in the US so haven't noticed the geographical restrictions that have been placed on some (many?) eBooks - I am sure there are some that aren't available in the US, though - but agree with the non-US folks here that it makes very little sense. Is the restriction placed on them by the publishers due to some obscure international law? I can't imagine the authors have anything to do with it - certainly they would want their creations available to the widest possible audience. On the other hand, wouldn't the publishers also want to sell to the widest possible audience??

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It probably helps Amazon let the Publisher know what books folks are looking for and could effect which books the Publishers put forward.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Georestrictions stem largely from the rights that publishers negotiated with authors. If a publisher did not specify in their contract with an author that they had the right to publish and ebook version of "Book X" in Australia, they simply have no legal right to sell "Book X" in Australia.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Georestrictions stem largely from the rights that publishers negotiated with authors. If a publisher did not specify in their contract with an author that they had the right to publish and ebook version of "Book X" in Australia, they simply have no legal right to sell "Book X" in Australia.
So the author has to bring a list of countries, including the USA, in which she or he wants their book to be published, otherwise it's only available in Massachusetts, (just as an example )?? That doesn't seem as if it would be in the best interests of either the author or the publisher, and still makes little sense to me. But then, I have no experience with publishing nor with what an author goes through in order to get a book (eBook or pBook) published and distributed, so I just have the point of view of a reader. As a reader, I think all books should be available to all people everywhere.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
If you are a self-publisher author, your ebooks are available anywhere, no restrictions. In the old model of printed books, if your books are sold through a publisher, that publisher may make deals with publishers in other countries for those companies to print and sell the books there (it saves shipping and distribution costs for the first publisher, and provides for some localization like translations). This is an agreement between the two publishers that neither will sell into the other's area. The first publisher gets a cut of the selling price. This is a reasonable way to handle things if you have to transport physical items. It's not necessary in the ebook world, but these agreements are for the most part still in effect, meaning that some ebooks cannot be sold into other countries until the agreement expires, which may take many years.

The author has no say in any of this.

I would be surprised if this model lasts much longer. It may be that in future contracts, ebooks will be excepted from such contracts.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote