Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #16
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
One of the big factors in whether a e-ink reader can serve as a monitor is how fast the pixels can be changed.
A monitor will require the ability to do at least 15 frames a second, an ereader really only needs to do about 4 frames a second (and probably a lot less).
E-readers use a grey-scale system. It is possible to reduce the grey-scale to true monochrome with only black and white. This increases the speed of the screen update. Some Android-based ereaders already include this innovation. Obviously no good for Quake 3, but adequate for text processing.

One software issue is that most ereaders that can be slaved as a monitor will most likely run Android. Whether they can talk to a Windows laptop may depend on if an app can talk to a Windows OS via wifi, blue-tooth or USB.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
E-readers use a grey-scale system. It is possible to reduce the grey-scale to true monochrome with only black and white. This increases the speed of the screen update. Some Android-based ereaders already include this innovation. Obviously no good for Quake 3, but adequate for text processing.
Monochrome text looks more ragged. Gray-scale allows anti-aliasing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #18
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
The big bottleneck in screen refresh is the controller, not the e-ink screen itself. E-ink demonstrated video capability years ago.

Book readers focus on power saving measures to help achieve long battery life. A diametrically opposed goal if you want video.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:19 AM   #19
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
Did anyone try the unit and can give us a review?
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #20
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
New video of some Chinese guy actually using it :

It looks fine.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Monochrome text looks more ragged. Gray-scale allows anti-aliasing.
I use a monochrome A2 mode on an e-reader to browse and read pdf. I find it adequate. I would be happy to use this quality on a monitor for text-based operations.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #22
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
<deleted>

Last edited by twowheels; 04-06-2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: tried to fix embed of the youtube video for others -- didn't work...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #23
Alexandros
Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3, DXG, sony prs-t2
Just to let you know guys,
I've ordered the paperlike monitor from dasung. Hopefully i'll have it in my hands by the end of June, and then i'll be happy to post a full and thorough review.
Alexandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #24
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
I also ordered paperlike monitor.

Let us make a thread where we shall discuss software updates and optimizations.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #25
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I look forward to your experiences!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:31 AM   #26
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Where is the website to order and how much ? Thx
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #27
Alexandros
Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, according to their twitter page
https://twitter.com/dasungtech
and their site
http://www.dasung.com.cn/
the sale has ended. That is the international pre-sale, the main production line will have China as a target market.
But, they have stated, that they are trying to find ways to channel their product internationally, which is difficult for the moment.
The whole thing is in its infancy, very promising for a niche market like why are, but too early to tell wether it will be viable.
Stay tuned though, as stated above, i and others in this forum have taken the chance, bought one, and are going to post full and detailed reviews about the monitor!!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:09 PM   #28
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Any updates?
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:45 AM   #29
ZeKK
Enthusiast
ZeKK began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
any updates?
Who buy this device? Are you happy to work with this device?
ZeKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #30
Alexandros

Hi everybody,

Sorry for not responding for so long but i was hoping to get the monitor first. I haven't received it yet for a number of reasons.
First of all I had asked Dasung (in the beginning July) to delay the shipping of my unit since i live in Greece, and as i am sure you know, we had a severe crisis during the summer, including capital controls.

About two months ago, since the situation had been stabilized i asked them to ship my monitor.
At first they responded that they would.
After a few days, i asked them about the status of my order and they responded that they had to check some things out to make sure the monitor is in the best possible state.

To make a long story short about a month ago they contacted me saying that there is some kind of issue with some monitors that they try to resolve with EINK.
Since then i have been waiting.. Three days ago, i e-mailed them asking if there were any news. I haven't received a reply yet.

During this time i tried to make contact with Feher, a member of this forum that had also ordered the monitor and with whom i had previously been exchanging messages but to no avail.
I don't know how things went in his case. The last time we talked he was waiting for his piece(it was back in June).

I have seen a few reviews of the monitor from people who got it on the web. Below are some links for anyone interested..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_IhYLh2Jw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGesx9by00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBLJiF99mmk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2r7k0M_UIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKCqvxcSb3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxfv3-MqiE

A really interesting one is from the link below, where the poster states that there is a problem with the c button that clears the screen. The screen stopped clearing as it is supposed to do after a month of use. This may be similar to what has been described to me from Dasung (not in so many words)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DbdaPQyLY

If you check the comments on the video you'll find out that the poster says they have acknowledged the issue and they will replace the monitor once it is solved!

As i see in their twitter page they are selling the monitor again.

https://twitter.com/dasungtech

Are there any other members of the forum that got their monitors? I would really like to know their experience?

Sorry again for not reporting, but i had hoped i had something more to report...