Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #106
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
I have, however, decided that I shall keep going on about it at every available opportunity in the forums (and anywhere else), in the hope that Kobo will realise what an amazing feature they had and may consider future changes to give us it back as an option. Or give us series sort.

Feel free to go on about it along with me, too.

Please Kobo. Look at us all who miss sort by series! It was wonderful, we miss it, it made our reading lives easier in a way only Kobo did!
I'm with you on this 100%.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #107
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14nc310t View Post
@davidfor:
I'm sorry but I still do not understand:

1) Kobo do multiple key sorting except on Series field.
No, you stated that Kobo programmers don't know how to do multiple key sorting. I gave multiple examples of where they still do this. "by Author" sort by the author and within that by title. "by Type" sorts by file type/book format and within that by title. OK?

Of course, that doesn't matter. The programmers have no say in this. They are asked to implement something, and unless they come back with a "that's impossible", that is what they do. A decision like this is made a a different level.
Quote:
2) Only Kobo had this feature. No competitor has this.

3) They discontinued it since 2.4 without any comprensible reason.

This is is what I say foresight and competitive advantage!
Then why the hell Kobo removed this feature ?
What I said was that I don't believe any other ereader has any concept of series at all. The Kobo shows you the series and allows you to search on the series name. That beats the other readers that don't have it at all.

And they didn't discontinue it for no comprehensible reason. As I stated, it was changed because it was not strictly correct. The sort sequence name was "Title". When selecting that, the books were not sorted by the "Title" but by something else. I don't agree with the decision, but I can see why it was made.

I have stated the above far to many times in this forum. Including in a long discussion on what makes up the title of a book. I keep hoping to see the equivalent function come back.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #108
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And they didn't discontinue it for no comprehensible reason. As I stated, it was changed because it was not strictly correct. The sort sequence name was "Title". When selecting that, the books were not sorted by the "Title" but by something else. I don't agree with the decision, but I can see why it was made.
Publisher contractual terms may be at work here. They identify a title, and expect it to be used/seen in the way they have specified.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #109
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I know it involves more work on the part of the user, but if you employ Calibre, then Series sorting isn't a very difficult thing to implement in terms of using it to create shelves for your series. Of course, for side loaded titles only. But, then I think if you're sensible you download your titles and import them into Calibre anyhow -no guarantee Kobo will be around forever. Calibre really is much simpler than people think, and far more powerful if you start getting into advanced features. It's a little gear headed in it's mentality, but with a short investment in time to read a little about it and decent examples(Thanks PeterT) anyone can figure it out.

Frankly, with very little work in Calibre you can use the series fields to create bookshelves based on actual Series & Series numbers or index, or group items onto shelves by whatever criteria you like such as Genre, Author, etc. -even have books on multiple shelves if you need to cross reference to such a degree. Well worth the effort to learn very little about calibre and edit a field or two as you add a book. You can even do a bulk edit and select a bunch of titles and change them in one fell swoop.

That said, if Kobo recognizes the series field, then why not allow you to sort by it? A Series/Number-Title sort wouldn't be a bad idea. If Series Info exists put the items in that order then sort everything else by Title. Better yet, Kobo could implement a simple configurable multi-level sort and let us all sort however we like. With a Reset Terms button it could be nearly foolproof.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #110
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
The thing is, i don't want to make a shelf per series. Lots of shelves = bigger database = device slowdown: and potentially more to rebuild after a reset.

The information on series and numbering is there, and it USED to be used.

In my SCIFI shelf, all the Honourverse books were in series order, along side the other series I have in that genre. I simply needed to page through that genre to find what I want to read. Why make a shelf for them all? Especially when I finish reading #1 in a series,I have to page through 5 pages within a series shelf to find #2 because it starts with a w?

The previous way made sense. It was usable and liked, and ,more importantly, a feature only Kobo had.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #111
14nc310t
14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
...if Kobo recognizes the series field, then why not allow you to sort by it? A Series/Number-Title sort wouldn't be a bad idea. If Series Info exists put the items in that order then sort everything else by Title. Better yet, Kobo could implement a simple configurable multi-level sort and let us all sort however we like. With a Reset Terms button it could be nearly foolproof.

14nc310t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #112
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I noticed since 2.5.0 (and yes, I was upgrading as soon as the new version became available) that text in dictionary lookup (popup window) gets cut on the right. English dictionary, side-loaded ePubs. Does not happen always, but it is frequent enough to be annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
There seems to be a new bug, there is too much white space on the footer, and when the glo first wakes up the white space runs right over the body of the text!! If you advance a page and go back that problem goes away, but there is still way too much white space being used (more so than before).
Do you have a testcase? Can someone else confirm these two bugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I now get lousy looking covers on the sleep/power off screen for sideloaded books unless I manually generate the images.
What do you mean exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowella View Post
That works, what also works is searching for a title with the localised account, usually the title does pop up, sometimes more than once and with different prices.
And that's why Kobo will not fix this "bug"... ;-)
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #113
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Do you have a testcase? Can someone else ...
I'll confirm the second one. See post 105.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #114
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

I added the series sorting to the bug thread. It's an enhancement request, but it's also a sort of regression. I think it's useful to have such a sorting, and I don't understand why it can live together the other sorting options

@John F: thank you, I missed your post. I'll add it later.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #115
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I noticed since 2.5.0 (and yes, I was upgrading as soon as the new version became available) that text in dictionary lookup (popup window) gets cut on the right. English dictionary, side-loaded ePubs. Does not happen always, but it is frequent enough to be annoying.
Same here on a Mini.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #116
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB
I now get lousy looking covers on the sleep/power off screen for sideloaded books unless I manually generate the images.

What do you mean exactly?

The sleep covers looks like a thumbnail size image blown up to full screen. If I generate a replacement image, it looks okay but a bit annoying to do that for every book. I could use Calibre to generate the covers for every book since they are now cached on the SD card but again, a bit annoying to have to do that.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-30-2013 at 01:45 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #117
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
OK, I tried to find a word where this is happening, and it appears that a lookup for word "temporary" has one of the lines cut of at the right boundary.Tried in two separate side loaded epubs, the same result.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #118
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Also, see post #92.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #119
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Ok, I added the first two bugs.

@DNSB: ok, I understand now. Can you use the "template" in the first post of bugs thread and fill the data?

@anyone: do you know if a simple epub and kepub creator exists?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #120
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Ok Lucas, continuing on from here:
Quote:
Ok, I added the first two bugs.
I can confirm I don't seem to have the problem with kepubs, either original or sideloaded (i.e. an epub sent to device with Joel's kobotouchextended plugin).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote