Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Price drop on HarperCollins ebooks on Amazon?

Titles by this publisher no longer have the notation "price set by publisher" and prices appear to have dropped. Many are priced not at the usual round numbers of $12.99 etc., but rather something like $11.67 or $10.94.

Fingers crossed that this mean what I hope it means

Edit: I just checked one book: American Sniper. It's priced at $10.94 on Amazon and $12.99 on B&N - first time there's been in a price difference from a major publisher in years!

Last edited by JoHunt; 09-10-2012 at 12:15 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
BooksOnBoard in the UK have just dropped the price of some of Ray Bradbury's eBooks (HarperCollins) too
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Nice find! I tried to give you K and I guess I just gave you some.

Here is another: The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver, Harper Perennial. $9.68 on Kindle, $11.99 on Nook.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Titles by this publisher no longer have the notation "price set by publisher" and prices appear to have dropped. Many are priced not at the usual round numbers of $12.99 etc., but rather something like $11.67 or $10.94.

Fingers crossed that this mean what I hope it means

Edit: I just checked one book: American Sniper. It's priced at $10.94 on Amazon and $12.99 on B&N - first time there's been in a price difference from a major publisher in years!
I see Kobo has it for $14.99 Well, this is interesting.

Sony has the $14.99 price and still has the "The price of this eBook was set by HarperCollins" disclaimer. They're going to have to get with the program.

Last edited by TimW; 09-10-2012 at 12:54 PM.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
exposition
exposition began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just checked - the Amazon.com pre-order of Michael Chabon's Telegraph Avenue has dropped to $9.99.
exposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exposition View Post
Just checked - the Amazon.com pre-order of Michael Chabon's Telegraph Avenue has dropped to $9.99.
Ke-ripes...BoB has it for $8.70. Competition is a wonderful thing.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
It's still $14.99 on B&N. Hmmm I wonder where I'll buy it

Last edited by JoHunt; 09-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
So much for "Amazon will undercut everybody."

Shades of 2009, huh?
Back then you could hunt for ebook bargains and it paid to be platform agnostic.
A round of applause for Judge Cote and the DOJ might be in order.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Give them time. I bet the drop the price in a day or two.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Shades of 2009, huh?
Back then you could hunt for ebook bargains and it paid to be platform agnostic.
A round of applause for Judge Cote and the DOJ might be in order.
I love it...this is how it should be. If BoB has a cheaper price, I'll buy from them. Many thnx to Apprentice Alf.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Not related to HarperCollins, but by the same token, as much as I like using Amazon, I'll always be checking the prices at BooksOnBoard too before I buy.

I'd been wanting to buy the book about German goalkeeper Robert Enke (A life Too Short) for a while but was waiting to see if it'd come down to nearer £5. Kobo, Sony, Waterstones, Google - all £6.49. I nearly bought it from Amazon for £5.64, but I'd remembered someone on here recommending BooksOnBoard so thought I'd check there first.... bought it from them for £4.35.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've been doing some random checks on books from HarperCollins and it seems that on 5 of the 6 books I looked at, BoB was cheaper then Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Here in the UK, BoB have been cheaper than Amazon on a whole range of (non-Agency) books for quite some time now. Amazon aren't quiet the all-seeing, all-price-matching Behemoth they're made out to be

Edit:

Aha! http://myemail.constantcontact.com/A...id=8pn7FFMDJUo

Last edited by MrTeatime; 09-10-2012 at 04:42 PM.
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeatime View Post
Here in the UK, BoB have been cheaper than Amazon on a whole range of (non-Agency) books for quite some time now. Amazon aren't quiet the all-seeing, all-price-matching Behemoth they're made out to be
It's always been the case that a free market with several competing vendors would yield the best value for the consumer...and the cheapest vendor wouldn't necessarily be Amazon. The Price Fix Six are trying to prop up paper book sales.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
American Sniper is WELL worth the lowered asking price!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote