Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
excalibra
excalibra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
scanned pdf

I have an old book scanned in pdf format as 2 book pages in a page. As the scan quality is not good, I can't use OCR to change the pdf into a flowable/readable text format and convert to mobi. Therefore, I used briss to cut the double pages into one page in pdf format,but the pages look small in my kindle 3's 6 inch screen. I converted pdf to images as one jpeg file for each page.What is the best way to view these in kindle 3, how can I change the jpeg files into a size to be displayed best in 6 inch screen? And another question, should I put the pictures as jpeg to kindle or is it better to change them again to pdf or some other format after resizing?
excalibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Have you tried cutting the pdf into four or even six pieces?
-----------------
| A1 | B1 |
|--------|-------|
| A2 | B2 |
|--------|-------|
| A3 | B3 |
-----------------

(pardon my ascii...)

laborg
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
excalibra

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborg View Post
Have you tried cutting the pdf into four or even six pieces?
-----------------
| A1 | B1 |
|--------|-------|
| A2 | B2 |
|--------|-------|
| A3 | B3 |
-----------------

(pardon my ascii...)

laborg
thanks but how can I do that, which program? What should be the height of each piece?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
you are using BRISS and it can do that. View the whole page and divide it up.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
excalibra

I tried Briss to cut the pages in half,but the resulting pages are not satisfactory as there are a lot photos in the book. Maybe, dealing with jpeg files of the pages might give a better result. Which width and height should I resize the jpeg files to fit on kindle 6 inch screen?
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
First you could extract the images from the PDF and then use Scan Tailor to split them, straighten them, etc.

Resizing is optional. I think the Kindle should be able to fit larger pictures. If it doesn't, there has to be a setting somewhere. Resize only if the Kindle struggles with flipping larger res pictures (600 dpi is the default in Scan Tailor). If the page flip is slow, find out what the maximum Kindle screen resolution is and you can use IrfanView (or similar) to do a batch resize to fit the screen exactly.

JPG at 90% quality will probably do the job and not put much stress on the CPU (or battery life?). But what do I know, I don't own a Kindle. You'll have to experiment.

PS: Next time please be more descriptive with the post title...
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote