Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #181
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Got the latest update to ICS today.
You can now use the S-Pen and sign in on the phone. It can be your name or anything else you prefer.
Supposedly it also has Pop-up video, but I haven't been able to fin how you do it.
Battery life seems better, I now have some 85% Deep Sleep, before it was more like 65%.
If you are brave, you can get Jelly Bean as well. Just head off to XDA.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #182
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
At this point, yeah it would be foolish to pick up a Note when the new one is around the corner.
Yeah, I'll wait until the dust settles.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #183
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
If you are brave, you can get Jelly Bean as well. Just head off to XDA.
I'm not much of a rooter.
I've heard that it is a lot smoother.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #184
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not much of a rooter.
I've heard that it is a lot smoother.
Yes, there have been significant changes related to graphics in JB, there is an interesting presentation on youtube from this year's Google IO that explains how they achieved it. Anyway, Sammy will likely roll out JB for the Note in the coming months.

If anybody's interested, the presentation is here.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #185
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipperJones View Post
To me the Note is the end all be all. It fits perfect in the hand (with a little learning curve) and offers up the best of both worlds. I stuck one of these [Spam link removed by moderator] Covers on mine and its like a 21st century paper back! Love it!
I played with the Note at the Samsung store that recently opened in Canada. A truly beautiful phone, and I would have considered it had it been available for my network. It looks big, but it nevertheless fits in your hand and that extra real state is really welcome.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-28-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Removed spam link from quote.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #186
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I played with the Note at the Samsung store that recently opened in Canada. A truly beautiful phone, and I would have considered it had it been available for my network. It looks big, but it nevertheless fits in your hand and that extra real state is really welcome.
That is how I kind of found it. I was in London, near the Olympic Village, on a short vacation, and Samsung had opened a flagship store just outside Stratford station. I went in there two days in a row to play around with it. Once I got home, and back to my HTC Desire, I knew I wanted to switch.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #187
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I am seriously confused. I have been trying to convince my wife that I need Galaxy note so that I can keep my ereader at home and carry just one device. Guess what! She almost agreed for once. Dang! Pops in the Nexus 7 and I am back to where it started. Now how do I convince her that I need (read want) both?
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #188
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I purhcased the Samsung Galexy Note over the weekend and love it. My previous phone was IPhone 3gs which had only one drawback for me. Low volume for calls and I don't yet have any hearing problems. The Note is supassing my IPhone is every aspect, great volume, video, aps, speed, etc. i read lot on my phone and also listen to audio books.
My reader of preference was Bluefire, which is crashing badly on my new Galexy Note. Is there a fix for this? Mantano or Aldiko will do, but Bluefire as always been my go-to reader.
Dixie
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #189
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

You now have a screen that is actually larger than a Sony PRS-350. Pretty amazing. There is also CoolReader that you can tweak in pretty much any way you like. It may take a little experimentation before you get it the way you want to, but once you try out a few different setings you should have the optimal reading conditions for your needs.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #190
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
You now have a screen that is actually larger than a Sony PRS-350. Pretty amazing. There is also CoolReader that you can tweak in pretty much any way you like. It may take a little experimentation before you get it the way you want to, but once you try out a few different setings you should have the optimal reading conditions for your needs.
screen that is actually larger than a Sony PRS-

Size matters.

They did a survey of TVs HD, Blue Ray,etc. The most important feature to the customer was size.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #191
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I had a look at the Galaxy SIII and the original note while shopping today. They just look so cheaply made, I don't know. On the display units the casing felt rough from wear, the screen protruded from the body, and the feel of the plastic was anything but nice. How are your units holding up?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #192
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Mine is just fine. I have it in a flip case that also functions as a holder for credit card, bus card and a few notes. It goes in an out of my skinny jeans around ten times a day and looks the same as when I bought it. I have absolutely no complaints.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #193
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
screen that is actually larger than a Sony PRS-

Size matters.

They did a survey of TVs HD, Blue Ray,etc. The most important feature to the customer was size.
Hmm. Size generally, or 'bigger is always better'?

If I was asked what the most important aspect of a TV screen was for purchase I would probably have said 'size' as well, but the logic would be: needs to be 32" to fit my room. I could live with 28" but 36" would be too big.

The same applies to handheld devices with regard to pockets, purses, palms, etc.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #194
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I had a look at the Galaxy SIII and the original note while shopping today. They just look so cheaply made, I don't know. On the display units the casing felt rough from wear, the screen protruded from the body, and the feel of the plastic was anything but nice. How are your units holding up?
Mine looks and feels brand new, but it's been in a case since day one. I use a holster/case from Seidio. I refuse to put electronics in my shirt pocket ever since my Palm died a tragic death by drowning in a toilet. My pant pockets hold too much other crap to be of use.

Skinny jeans would just look sooooo wrong on me!
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #195
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
My S3 is only 3 months old, but it looks brand new. And I don't take particular care of it, I don't have a case or any protector for it.