Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
surfinjim
surfinjim is on a distinguished road

Device: Netronix, customs, Bookeen, iRex, PRS-700
Hello from France

Hello,

I am Jimmy from France. As a Computer Science researcher, I have been working on fast structured data transformation engines since the early 90's.

Amongst many other projects, I am investigating e-paper specific challenges, from a technical point of view. I am also personally expecting a lot from e-paper technology, since IT books are not quite convenient to take along to the beach when waiting for wind rises ;-)

I just joined this forum to share ideas about the evolution of writing/reading/ergonomics and better understand the "real readers" expectations.

Hope to discuss with you someday,

Jimmy
surfinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, surfinjim. Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
surfinjim

Smile Thank you

Thank you Spartacus2112,

Mobileread forums are a great and unique mix of "book addicts" and technical enthousiasts or experts. I will try to take some time to share some insights in my favorite expertise areas as frequently as possible.

Best regards,

Surfin'Jim
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
tINmOUSE
(stand in: rOBOTmINION)
tINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watch

Device: none yet. Waiting for Mentor.
hi!

Would you agree that with technical books that the ability to search for text and make notes is high on the wish-list for an ebook-device?

Hmmm... text search. What devices have that already? Anyone know?

Last edited by tINmOUSE; 07-07-2008 at 08:00 AM.
tINmOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
surfinjim

Totally agree

These 2 features are high on top of my priorities. In fact I am working on these 2 topics :-) With a third one: GUI responsiveness !

As a technical book reader, I do not feel comfortable with the read-only devices we have today (except the iRex of course), even if they have a lot of merits. Of course it is sometimes to be able to read with only one hand to turn pages, but technical docs require a lot more.

SurfinJim
Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
tINmOUSE
tINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watch

Yes - that currently places the iLiad in a class of its own.
Can it do text searches?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
surfinjim

Yes it does

Of course, this depends on the file format. One of the good things about the ILiad is that you can easily add software to extend the set of file recognized formats. For example Look at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ILiad_FBReader.

Best regards,

SurfinJim
Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
tINmOUSE

wow. did not realize that.
I guess the only stumbling block is its price then.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi surfinjim and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Salut Jimmy et bienvenue ! i see you're in paris, you should come to the MR apéro we're organising. we will get to see some e-paper prototypes from tebaldo, and different devices (you have to bring yours, of course !), in person. should be a lot of fun and very interesting.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:50 AM   #11
surfinjim

Hello !

Hello Cassidym, Salut Zeelda_pinwheel !

Thank you for your welcome posts. I will try to see if I can come to your apéro, but did you define the schedule ? I do not know yet if I will be in Paris at the end of next week (do not change the schedule for me). But anyway, it will be a pleasure to show you what we are working on, or simply discuss about it.
Best regards,

Jimmy
Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello Jimmy,
i hope you can come ! for the moment, we are talking about the 18th of july, but you should follow the apéro discussion thread (see the link in my first post) to hear about any possible modifications. please let us know ! it would be great to hear about what you are working on.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #13
surfinjim

Apéro

Thank you for your interest, Zeelda !
I will try to come but this will probably be difficult. I will confirm later, OK ?
Do you yourself work on e-paper related projects ? I think you are a Webmaster (or Web Designer), aren't you ?
Do you (plan to) investigate e-paper specific problems ?
Best regards,
Jimmy
Old 07-08-2008, 07:36 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

yes, i am a webdesigner. how did you know that ? i am interested in e-paper purely as a dilettante !! and because i like reading, and gadgets, and because i have a small appartement with too many books already... and many other reasons. but i don't have any technical connection to e-paper. and i have an interest in e-publishing which is perhaps a little more linked to my professional activities.

no worries for the apéro ; we will be very pleased if you can come, if not, perhaps we will do another one later on !

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 07-08-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
surfinjim

> yes, i am a webdesigner. how did you know that ?

I know a lot about a lot of people
No, seriously, don't be afraid, I simply remembered a discussion between you and another MR member but I was not sure.

Tags
e-paper, format, publication, xml