Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
significantly enhanced contrast (for djvu files) 90x,60x

A while back I reported a bug on the djvu file viewer:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=134

for those not familiar with the djvu file at all, here is the wiki entry of mobileread for djvu files:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/DJVU

In a nutshell: the djvu file is a very advanced format for storing scanned books efficiently. Accordingly many books scanned by google, which are stored on www.archive.org are saved in the djvu file as well. Normally you won't have a white background in those old books (unless it was digitally removed). Now djvu has the option just to display the foreground and just ignore the background. And in the source text it is a single line as I reported in the bug report. I went through the effort in writing to the Guys in Kiev and pointed them to that particular line.. nothing happened.

So tonight, I went through the trouble and recompiled the old djvu file viewer from pocketbook-free (which ment, that I had to first recompile all the corresponding djvulibre libraries, which kept me occupied for quite a while). Finally, I changed the line to not render the page as "color" but display either only the foreground or just display the text mask.

The results are stunning. What a contrast you can get out of that ebook!

In a while I will upload some screenshots. Then you can make your own judgement. At the moment, I've just added the new compiled viewer just to the context menu so that I have the choice to either open it with low contrast in "colour mode" (the default mode. It might be useful if you have primarily picutres in your djvu file and not text) or in the high contrast mode, which is obviously a pleasure to the eye when reading text.

And in the end we want to be reading text with our ebook reader, don't we?

Is there some interest in the contrast enhanced djviewer app? Shall I upload it as well?

EDIT:

Newest Version here/ Neueste Version hier/Новейшая версия здесь
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78#post1401078

Last edited by review; 02-17-2011 at 05:34 PM.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Evidence :)

On the left side is how a typical djvu file from a scanned book will look on the latest Pocketbook firmware (2.0.4, January 2011).

On the right you will see the result of my adapted version of the djviewer which displays only the foreground mask and this in black/white leading to the highest readability and best contrast.

The first file shows that it is not just a black and white filter but true layer selection: it only displays the text layer and not the dark colour of the book cover.

The last picture shows clearly how bad the contrast is if the pages are rendered with the "colour" mode on a 8bit grayscale ebook... and the screenshot is looking even better than it does in reality! In reality the text is barely readable. However, if you compare it with the modified version you will see the significant improvement.

Those are one and the same file. Just displayed with the native pocketbook viewer (left) and with my viewer (right).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	difference0.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	66000   Click image for larger version

Name:	difference1.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	66001   Click image for larger version

Name:	difference1b.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	66002   Click image for larger version

Name:	difference2.jpg
Views:	1264
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	66003  

Last edited by review; 02-03-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
This is good to know even when using djview on the desktop.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
very NICE!!!! Yes uploaded!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
On the left side is how a typical djvu file from a scanned book will look on the latest Pocketbook firmware (2.0.4, January 2011).

On the right you will see the result of my adapted version of the djviewer which displays only the foreground mask and this in black/white leading to the highest readability and best contrast.

The first file shows that it is not just a black and white filter but true layer selection: it only displays the text layer and not the dark colour of the book cover.

The last picture shows clearly how bad the contrast is if the pages are rendered with the "colour" mode on a 8bit grayscale ebook... and the screenshot is looking even better than it does in reality! In reality the text is barely readable. However, if you compare it with the modified version you will see the significant improvement.

Those are one and the same file. Just displayed with the native pocketbook viewer (left) and with my viewer (right).
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
fantastic: will be very happy to free ride on you once more if you upload your new app
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
review
Addict

1) unzip the attached file djviewer-bw.zip
2) copy djviewer-bw.app into the folder system/bin on the internal memory
3) place the test file called textbook.djvu somewhere
4) edit extensions.cfg in system/config and add the bold part:
Code:
djvu:@DJVU_file:1:djviewer-bw.app,djviewer.app:ICON_DJVU
5) Enjoy reading with an excellent contrast.

These steps will make my version of the djvu viewer the default viewer. If you want to open the file with the viewer provided with the pocketbook just select djview from the context menu of the file. The file will open in exactly the same place and with the same zoom and orientation as the file in my version of the viewer.

Also, I've attached the screenshots of the attached djvu file. The left is with pocketbooks viewer and the right with my version.

That is an improvement of contrast, isn't it?

EDIT:

Achtung, dies ist nicht die aktuelle Version! Diese ist bereits veraltet. Link zu neuester Version im ersten post.
Attention, this is not the most recent version. Please see first post in this thread for a link to the most recent version.
Внимание. Эта версия старого. Не загружайте его. Используйте ссылку в пост № 1

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...27&postcount=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	66008   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	66009  
Attached Files
File Type: zip djviewer-bw.zip (587.9 KB, 621 views)

Last edited by review; 02-09-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
wow!!
review, you're restless..
you should get paid by pocketbook for all this hard work, thank you so much.
karma on its way.
t
P.S. sorry for being OT, but I would like to profit on your djvu knowledge:
recently I converted a 2000 pages color scanned pdf that pb did not show correctly into djvu format.
now pb shows and handles it correctly, but from a 200MB file I got a 500 MB djvu (???). wasn't it a compression format? I used default settings (pdf2djvu GUI on win7), except that I checked no metadata and no hyperlinks. just a couriosity..
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
This looks great!

I was wondering if maybe this thread should be moved to the sub-forum. It would be easier to find for the newcomers.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
review, PB should definitely pay you!

EDIT: in the future, when we update to the new firmware versions, will we have to modify the config file again?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
jsmith65
jsmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: PB 902, Nook

I noticed the very sharp difference immediately after trying your program. This is one more reason I don't have to pdf'ize my djvu files.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by jsmith65; 02-04-2011 at 08:51 AM.
jsmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
This is amazing! Thank you, review…
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
review
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
review, PB should definitely pay you!

EDIT: in the future, when we update to the new firmware versions, will we have to modify the config file again?
Generally a firmware update shouldn't delete or change this file... but then, the last one keeps on deleting the games folder.. so you never know what the guys from Kiev add to the next firmware.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

@Review: I know you guys are computers gurus, but I have a question from a non-savy computer: These steps are done when you connect the PB to the computer or need to be done using poterm(like hacking the PB)?

I dont see when I connect the PB to computer, I can see the system file but is empty..

thanks!
Quote:
1) unzip the attached file djviewer-bw.zip
2) copy djviewer-bw.app into the folder system/bin on the internal memory
3) place the test file called textbook.djvu somewhere
4) edit extensions.cfg in system/config and add the bold part:
Code:
djvu:@DJVU_file:1:djviewer-bw.app,djviewer.app:ICON_DJVU
5) Enjoy reading with an excellent contrast.

These steps will make my version of the djvu viewer the default viewer. If you want to open the file with the viewer provided with the pocketbook just select djview from the context menu of the file. The file will open in exactly the same place and with the same zoom and orientation as the file in my version of the viewer.

Also, I've attached the screenshots of the attached djvu file. The left is with pocketbooks viewer and the right with my version.

That is an improvement of contrast, isn't it?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
review
Addict

I'm sorry for not giving the detailed instructions.

1) if on the internal memory there is only system but no config in system just create an empty folder called config.
2) open notepad and copy, paste the line mentioned above and save it as extensions.cfg on the system/config folder

This is not a hack! No poterm or other funny stuff. This is a completly independent application for your pocketbook. Keep me updated how you're getting on and don't hesitate if something still does not make sense.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
skydive
Addict

Thanks!!

Very helpful, i'll do it and let you guys know!

GOOD Karma on your way!!

Quote:
I'm sorry for not giving the detailed instructions.

1) if on the internal memory there is only system but no config in system just create an empty folder called config.
2) open notepad and copy, paste the line mentioned above and save it as extensions.cfg on the system/config folder

This is not a hack! No poterm or other funny stuff. This is a completly independent application for your pocketbook. Keep me updated how you're getting on and don't hesitate if something still does not make sense.