Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
hardvice
hardvice began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle / iPad
Losing relative font sizes on conversion

I'm in the process of converting a bunch of MOBI .PRC books to .EPUB. The original html files from which I built the MOBI files (using Mobipocket Creator) use relative font sizes in the CSS. For example, the CSS class for the book title uses font-size: x-large; while the class for chapter titles uses font-size: large;.

When I convert the MOBI books in Calibre, everything comes out as normal-sized text. If I open the .EPUB book in Sigil, it appears all of the classes of different sizes are being combined as class=calibre4.

I can edit the books in Sigil to restore the relative font sizes, but it's obviously a pain.

It seems like the font size rescaling in the Look & Feel page during conversion should take care of this, but it's not. None of the source files contain any explicit (i.e. point-size) font size declarations; they use font-size: normal; for body text instead, and I'm guessing that's the problem.

If I use the font size rescaling in Calibre (currently set as base font size 12.0 and font size key 5.0, 7.0, 9.0, 12.0, 13.5, 17.0, 20.0, 22.0, 24.0), I get the same result--all text is the same size. If I explicitly disable font size rescaling, I get the same results.

I'm currently using the Default Input Profile and the iPad output profile.

Is there anything I can change during the conversion to preserve these font sizes? I'm converting a couple hundred files, so anything I can do in Calibre would be preferred to editing all the input or output files manually.

Thanks in advance.
hardvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In PRC files all font sizes are remapped to use the <font> html tag. calibre handles these just fine. Are the relative font sizes showing up when you view the prc file?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
hardvice

Hey Kovid,

Thanks for the fast reply!

The PRC files--both the original source file and the one in Calibre's library--display the fonts correctly.

I've mocked up a sample file and am attaching it here. Included are the original HTML document, the PRC built by Mobipocket Creator, and the EPUB built by Calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sample_ebook.zip (103.9 KB, 198 views)
Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Will be fixed in next release
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
hardvice

Awesome! Thanks!
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
hardvice

Just wanted to let you know that I've just installed 0.70 and this conversion is now working perfectly. Thanks so much! This will save me a ton of time.