Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #31
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Dale:

Sorry. It was always explained to me that PDB was Fictionwise and Fictionwise uses and sells eReader. We will TRY to get a label on the box that says PalmDOC to avoid any more confusion!
That won't help. The problem is much larger than just a label. Yew see, there are a ton of websites out there that mention the Astak DOES support eReader. If yew do a search, yew will find them.

It was reading this in that variety of places (NOT just one) that convinced me to purchase this product. It is certainly no secret I was disappointed. However I grow less and less unhappy with it as firmware improves (I am currently using the Lbook firmware), and I have stripped the DRM from the eReader files and converted it to HTML so I can read those as well.

But still, at the end of the day, it *was* the promise of eReader support that had me open my wallet for this reader. I suspect there are many others who bought it for this reason as well, after seeing the above mentioned websites saying eReader is supported.

The problem is those sites are independent and there is precious little yew can do about them, aside from contacting every single one and asking for a correction. I doubt many would bother.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #32
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
ThomasMcKean: I've been wondering for a while now, and thought I should just ask, so here goes...

Is your continual use of 'yew' in place of 'you' an affectation, an artifact of speech-to-text software, or something else entirely?

When I view it as an affectation, I find it immensely annoying! I keep wondering what small trees with sturdy, springy wood have to do with whatever you're talking about.

When I look at the "Disabilities Advocate" title on your posts, I start viewing it as a possible software issue. Viewed that way, it seems like a pain-in-the-butt that's worth the effort to ignore.

Then, of course, there's all of the "gee! I never thought of that!" possibilities that I, well... haven't thought of!

Would you be willing to enlighten me on this issue?

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #33
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Why get anal retentive about the way someone chooses to write the word (you) "yew". I sometimes use "u" on this forum. BFD!!!. This is not a forum for anal retentive English speakers. It is for discussion. Some choose to use words that are not standard as do many on the web. Do you get angry if someone uses "lol". Maybe that is annoying to some as well. I use slang in Russian and French on other forums and do not get berated for the use of "slang" or skewing words. Such is life.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #34
jncrft
jncrft began at the beginning.

Device: none
Me, too

Hidari, why get anal retentive about a question someone chooses to post? There are many good decaf brands of coffee on the market. When I read the message, I had the same question. Using "yew" is not equivalent to using "u" -- a yew is a kind of tree, while "u" can only be an abbreviation.

I didn't see any berating, just curiosity -- it is a strange usage. Give others the benefit of the doubt -- your life will be better, and the world a more peaceful place (not that I mind a good debate, but rancorous ones are a drag).

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Why get anal retentive about the way someone chooses to write the word (you) "yew". I sometimes use "u" on this forum. BFD!!!. This is not a forum for anal retentive English speakers. It is for discussion. Some choose to use words that are not standard as do many on the web. Do you get angry if someone uses "lol". Maybe that is annoying to some as well. I use slang in Russian and French on other forums and do not get berated for the use of "slang" or skewing words. Such is life.
jncrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #35
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
If it makes you happy. I have no opinion. That I learned long ago on MR. I am not one of the chosen ones of this site. Just seemed anal to me. So, I am wrong. You are right. Congratulations. I apologize for posting. I will try to refrain from any attempt to attack a questioning of a "yew" in future posting. I will go to my local temple tonight to ponder my transgression. You have shown me the way. Thank you for your enlightenment.

Last edited by hidari; 04-10-2010 at 11:00 AM.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #36
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Oh my goodness. Such controversy!

I would think the use of "lol" would be more annoying any day than the use of "yew", but that's just me. I have been known to type a "lol" here and there on occasoion, but I try to do it as rarely as possible! lol!

The idea that "yew" would be a text to speech software glitch is most interesting. I do have dragon diction naturally speaking, but it is an old version I happened to spot at the goodwill and I bought it for like $3.99 or so. It has been sitting in the back of my car now for months. I never bothered to bring it in.

(K I just went out to get it. It was $2.00 and there is a big banner on the box that says, "New version! Now supports Windows 97!" The CD says it is version 2.0, so yeah that's going back a ways. Maybe I'll install it just so I can see how does with the word, "antidisestablishmentarianism." If it can handle that, then it must be a good program! But who knows if it will work on Windows 7?)

But I digress! I suppose there is a far more obvious question, which is, "Why is an award-winning author tying YEW instead of YOU?" I get this one often.

I am quite ambulatory. I can move my arms and fingers and legs and feet, though it is quite painful to do so. The "YEW" is really more of an autistic thing, I think. I didn't want to comment on it, but I hate to see this squabbling.

Chalk it up the autistic, oddballl, sideways way I see the world.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #37
jncrft
jncrft began at the beginning.

Device: none
Interesting

Now that's interesting. I know this is off-topic, but I'm a linguist and this is a fun topic for me.

How does autism motivate the choice of yew vs. you? Is it avoidance of interaction that autistic people have, extended to typed interactions?

I hadn't noticed before -- well, this is only my first week on the board -- the books you've written. They sound fascinating.

Jon
jncrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #38
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jncrft View Post

Now that's interesting. I know this is off-topic, but I'm a linguist and this is a fun topic for me.

How does autism motivate the choice of yew vs. you? Is it avoidance of interaction that autistic people have, extended to typed interactions?

I hadn't noticed before -- well, this is only my first week on the board -- the books you've written. They sound fascinating.

Jon
Autism effects everything. It is a neuro-sensory disorder so that what is perceived through the five senses is disorted either in the brain or on the way to the brain itself. The world does not make sense. Some of us can compensate. Some of us can't. Most of us fall somewhere inbetween.

By the way, for those wondering about my signature, yes I really do carry a Title of Honor. It was given to me as an award for outstanding international disability advocacy.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #39
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
@ThomasMcKean: Thanks for enlightening me. And the Title of Honor is waaaay cool. And for your calm and informative response.

@Hidari: If I was going to get anal retentive and annoyed about it, I'd have asked him to stop doing it (or made some other more negative comment). Back here in reality, I was curious about why. Seeing it as annoying when I view it as an affectation... that's just me. Hearing about why he writes that way, on the other hand, is really interesting.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
LET'S ALL TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND CALM DOWN, PLEASE.

The response was way out of proportion to the original question, which was politely asked.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #41
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I must admit I was curious too. I'm from Tennessee, Blue Ridge Mountain territory. My mom and I thought that maybe it was an old spelling of you. There are many areas of the mountains that hold onto the 'old way' of doing things. For example, the name Rutherford. I think most people would pronounce it Ruth-e-ford. My mom on the other hand grew up with it being pronounced Rull-er ford. Don't ask me where the L sound comes from, she doesn't know either, it's just the way it was.
I think curiosity is a good thing. I have found that most people that want to know something aren't being insulting by asking, they just simply want to know for knowledge sake.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #42
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
LET'S ALL TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND CALM DOWN, PLEASE.

The response was way out of proportion to the original question, which was politely asked.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

Don
(Moderator)
That's the only reason I answered. I didn't want a war in the forums.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #43
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Yes, let us relax!!

Dear All:

Please remember that all of you: Thomas, Hidari, and many others will all have different opinions. This is a forum; and we all play a major role. Take it easy, please.

You may note that I also often use "thru" when "through" may do the job better. These things on spelling of words just develop and become ingrained. It is hard to change once you make it your own!

All of you are very respected members of the Astak Designated Forum. That makes me proud to know all of you! Whether you know it or not you are a TEAM on here and many new people look up to you. Please enjoy the ending of Winter and the beginning of Spring and enjoy each other on here!!

We ALL bring our habits to this forum and they are a part of us. Let us enjoy a bit of diversity on language!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #44
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
One of my own embarassing moments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I must admit I was curious too. I'm from Tennessee, Blue Ridge Mountain territory. My mom and I thought that maybe it was an old spelling of you. There are many areas of the mountains that hold onto the 'old way' of doing things. For example, the name Rutherford. I think most people would pronounce it Ruth-e-ford. My mom on the other hand grew up with it being pronounced Rull-er ford. Don't ask me where the L sound comes from, she doesn't know either, it's just the way it was.
I think curiosity is a good thing. I have found that most people that want to know something aren't being insulting by asking, they just simply want to know for knowledge sake.
S
I remember when I took a job with the City of Morgan Hill as an Intern for the Environmental Element of the General Plan. I got up before the entire council and citizenry to explain the boundaries. There was a road called Llagas Road. I got up and said "it stretches from "Log-is" Road to the North" and everyone was bewildered!! The word is actually Spanish (Mexican) and is pronouced "Ya-Gis". People laughed out loud at me. But it broke the tension and I was kidded for weeks about promouncing double "L" as a "la" sound when double "L" is more like a "Y" sound.

Also, in Kansas City, "roof" is somehow pronounced "ruff" like a dog sound.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #45
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Back on Topic for my post (grin)---

Can some one tell me EXACTLY WHAT ASTAK SUPPORTS ? in the way of PDB ?

Honestly, I, like the original poster, bought PP specifically because of eReader PDB support.... In fact, I took back another eBook Reader I had recently gone through efforts to buy because of no PDB support.

It really is confusing as everything/where says PDB support.

I know the old Palm devices used PDB books (which I have a ton)

So, am I screwed (as far as this topic goes people....haha)

James

*ps- dont get me wrong, i like my replacement choice, just it would suck if pdb is not native supported... will look intot he link that was posted for explanation, thanks all....

Last edited by cancelx; 04-13-2010 at 09:29 PM.
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote