Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I'm also waiting somewhat nervously for Qt 5.6.0 to migrate from testing here, and see if anything breaks horribly.
Oh, wait, that was right now.

Should be fun.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I'm also waiting somewhat nervously for Qt 5.6.0 to migrate from testing here, and see if anything breaks horribly.
Oh, wait, that was right now.

Should be fun.
I'll be interested to know if they do indeed backport WebKit into 5.6 (it's still in the source) in the various distro repo versions. If they do, I wouldn't expect any insurmountable obstacles. If they DON'T put it back in, nothing short of compiling your own Qt5.6 with webkit included will stand a chance (as far as Sigil goes, that is).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-27-2016 at 02:38 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, sure it's available in the Arch Linux repos. 45 packages depend on it. (Who knows what the Qt devs were thinking. )

Just upgraded my system, which doesn't include sigil since I built that myself, and Sigil starts up okay without even being recompiled...

As it has been established that Sigil does not officially support 5.6.0 (because that would require building Qt5 from scratch to get QtWebKit), there is all of a sudden an unexpected chance that things will break and bleeding-edge distros have issues because we move so fast.
But as you say -- hopefully nothing insurmountable.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:53 PM   #19
CJMiller
CJMiller began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
I opted for Qt 5.4.2 since that's what the Sigil folks use. My eyesight is bad, so at first I was saddened to not see it on the basic "all downloads" page, but those are only "all" of the versions of 5.6.0. There is another link to the archive of previous versions I finally spotted on my third try. Here's the location of the 64-bit Linux installer:

http://download.qt.io/archive/qt/5.4...-x64-5.4.2.run

Once I had that and updated cmake it seems to have compiled fine.
CJMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As it has been established that Sigil does not officially support 5.6.0 (because that would require building Qt5 from scratch to get QtWebKit), there is all of a sudden an unexpected chance that things will break and bleeding-edge distros have issues because we move so fast.
But as you say -- hopefully nothing insurmountable.
Well, in all fairness ... it has only been established that Sigil does not officially support the Nokia-provided pre-compiled Qt5.6 packages.

If, in a few years, when other distros get around to providing Qt5.6 (and prove to have with WebKit backported), I may lift my "unsupported" notice and change my build instructions to use the distro-provided Qt5 instead of Nokia's.

Fun stuff. Many distro's Qt5 packages are just now becoming sufficient to build Sigil with (which is why Nokia's packages have been recommended in the first place), and Arch's Qt5 version may soon be too advanced to build Sigil. Damned if you do; damned if you don't. Never mind Windows developers who would love to be able to use Qt5.6 because of the great Qt5/ Python 3.5/Sigil/VS2015 convergence that may only happen once in our lifetimes (but can't because now that all pieces can use the same compiler runtime, Qt5 dropped a component Sigil relies on. Oh well. I'm used to building Qt on Window anyway).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-27-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Advert
Old 03-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMiller View Post
I opted for Qt 5.4.2 since that's what the Sigil folks use. My eyesight is bad, so at first I was saddened to not see it on the basic "all downloads" page, but those are only "all" of the versions of 5.6.0. There is another link to the archive of previous versions I finally spotted on my third try. Here's the location of the 64-bit Linux installer:

http://download.qt.io/archive/qt/5.4...-x64-5.4.2.run

Once I had that and updated cmake it seems to have compiled fine.
Glad to hear it worked for you. Thanks for your persistence.