Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Image display: Available screen area

I've read several fairly old posts that recommend displaying images with a slightly smaller height to allow for status bars, running title headers, etc, on many reader screens, and display for a height of approximately *720 ~ 760 px*. This is intended to keep the bottom portion of the image from being cut off.

So if you were using an image 600 px wide by 800 px high, you would effectively reduce display of the image by 10%. That sure seems like a lot.

Is this still a good practice to follow? Do most reader screens really use that much space to show status bar, etc? Do most reading apps/software follow the same ratio?

Inquiring minds want to know... (well, my inquiring mind, anyway. I don't know if I have company in this question.)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I think 720 is too much for most readers. 760 is more reasonable. Reading apps are often on touch screen devices so the status bar can generally be removed to be reinstated with a touch of the screen. Too large an image will generally be shrunk by the display program so the aspect ratio is more important than the actual pixel size. Today with higher resolution screens and some readers offering a zoom feature it is likely best to go with a bigger display and let it be shrunk. On most devices using an SVG wrapper around the image will guarantee a good fit.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I thing trying to match the available screen space is rather pointless. You can never be sure what the size of these elements, plus possible user-defined margin and whatnot will be. And worse, some users like reading in landscape orientation. I say use a "good enough" size and let the readers resize if needed.

My reader can be set with or without status bar, with or without headers... but it has some minimal margin that cannot be overriden.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I think the only time you might need exact viewing area size would be if you are designing a fixed-format book specifically targeted at one device.

I say stick in the larger images, they can scale down if needed, and not look like little thumbnails on higher resolution reading devices.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Thanks to all for your advice. SVG does indeed seem like a good bet.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert