Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #166
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else think they can get blacker looking text than before by cranking the font weight up? In the past it seemed like the best I could do was a dark grayish shade, now it seems like it's really dark with the weight cranked up. It's really quite nice in terms of contrast.
Definitely has changeed. I had Amasis at full weigh before, but at that level it now looks like bold. Sideloads seem a little weightier (could still use a little darkening).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #167
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Hm, I tried to load some custom fonts onto the Mini after updating to 2.5, but while they showed up in the font menu, selecting them just resulting in the device rendering the books in... I think it was Georgia?... while claiming resolutely that it was my chosen font.

But it wasn't!

Was this happening before?
Were the fonts named correctly? Did you power cycle the Mini after copying the fonts into the fonts folder?

Those are the two problems I've seen most often when installing new fonts.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #168
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The problem being is that Kobo generally does not make the update available to all users at the same time. Other updates have only been made available in certain markets. For those of us who want the latest and greatest(?) and want it NOW!, the direct download links are much desired. If you don't like living on the bleeding edge, the firmware update -- if it is for your area -- will arrive sooner or later.

My key for the availability of a new firmware upgrade is that Kobo has in past, generally updated the Kobo desktop app just prior to the release. So when the desktop updated to 3.21 from 3.20, I started expecting a new firmware release. I refuse to discuss the role of chicken entrails in this process.

Regards,
David
David.. Ok thx for info.. I was unaware of that. I will try the desktop method..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #169
Aurora borealis
Ebook addict
Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo touch
I noticed that since the update, when putting the Glo in sleep mode, covers from books that are on the SD card appear ridiculously blurry and low quality, even if the cover image is actually really high quality. When putting the same book on the internal memory, the cover displays with its actual (good) quality.

What's the deal with this? Is there a workaround? (Except putting all books on the internal memory, which is not feasible with the huge manga collection I have...)
Aurora borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #170
mjost
mjost began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
A very minor bug, but annoying all the same:

When you go into full dictionary, there is an arrow in the top left corner, and x in the top right corner. In 2.4.0, the arrow would take you into the part of the dictionary where you could edit the input (ie take off the -ed on a verb when the verb wouldn't show in in the dictionary otherwise) and the x would take you back to the book.

The bug? In 2.5.0, BOTH the arrow and the x take you back to the book. Useful, two separate buttons performing the same function.
I see the same behaviour.
And this is not just a "two button do the same thing" issue. Now Kobo lost the functionality to edit the word to look up in the dictionary.
Given the fact, that the dictionary tends to define words in terms of a similar word, this is real bad.
Something like ".. the act of ..." and you had to manually edit the entry to look up the second word. This is now no longer possible - annoying...

Martin

... Even better would be, if I could look up a word inside a dictionary entry, the same way I look up a word in the normal text: by a long tap.
mjost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #171
joris_
joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

For some reason, external links don't work anymore on 2.5.0 for me. Whenever I tap a link inside a .kepub.epub, I'll be asked if I want to open the webbrowser to access the URL. If I confirm that, the browser opens but doesn't ever navigate to the URL. Instead, it's stuck on the home page (Google). Not sure if this functionality worked in 2.4.0, though.

Does anyone know if external links worked on 2.4.0? If it did, I think I might downgrade back to 2.4.0...
joris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #172
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjost View Post
I see the same behaviour.
And this is not just a "two button do the same thing" issue. Now Kobo lost the functionality to edit the word to look up in the dictionary.
Given the fact, that the dictionary tends to define words in terms of a similar word, this is real bad.
Something like ".. the act of ..." and you had to manually edit the entry to look up the second word. This is now no longer possible - annoying...

Martin

... Even better would be, if I could look up a word inside a dictionary entry, the same way I look up a word in the normal text: by a long tap.
agreed. to everything you posted. glad i'm not the only one it bugs...more likely to get fixed if it bugs others as well
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #173
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora borealis View Post
I noticed that since the update, when putting the Glo in sleep mode, covers from books that are on the SD card appear ridiculously blurry and low quality, even if the cover image is actually really high quality. When putting the same book on the internal memory, the cover displays with its actual (good) quality.

What's the deal with this? Is there a workaround? (Except putting all books on the internal memory, which is not feasible with the huge manga collection I have...)
I didn't see that. The firmware is now storing cover images on the SD card for books on the SD card. But, for some reason they are being generated with a lot worse quality.

Right now, the only thing you can do is complain to Kobo and ask to get it fixed. The calibre driver will be updated in the next release to allow sending of cover images to the SD card as well as the book. These are generated at about the same level as the firmware generates the images on the main memory.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #174
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
My thanks to all those answering my post concerning the ability to crank the font weight up enough to get really dark text that rivals what you'd expect for bold text. I thought I'd lost it and had set the text for less than optimal contrast. Glad it wasn't just me, and may I add how happy I am to see text with so much contrast on a front lit device. My Glo continues to improve and make me glad I upgraded from the Touch. Well done, Kobo!

If we can get the software developers at Kobo to start making sure they haven't broken anything else when fixing problems or introducing new code perhaps we'll end up with a truly superlative device one day. They certainly have the most evenly lit front lit devices with the best resolution -and with introduction of the Aura have upped the bar again.

If they manage to clean house on all the niggling little details they will really have it down.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #175
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora borealis View Post

I did have similar issue with the book covers on the SD Card.

You may want to give this try:
  1. Plug your Kobo to a PC
  2. Go to your SD Card
  3. Go to koboExtStorage->images
  4. Cut out all the files in the images direct and paste on your PC
  5. Unplug the Kobo
  6. Turn off/on the Kobo
  7. This would force the Kobo to regenerate all the book covers again
  8. If everything turns out okay, you can delete the files from your PC
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #176
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
anyone else having the reader turn completley off, even using the sleep cover?
getting annoying having to power on the reader, wait for the coloured LED's, then re-selecting the book each time I read,

with the older firmware version, close the cover, open, all good and the battery lasted months
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #177
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Regarding the "light bug", I suspect this is related to the manufacturing tolerances of the LEDs used and the associated driver hardware - when you crank down the "light level" setting below a certain point the LED will no longer produce light. Previously the lowest setting may not have hit the "switch-off" point of any LEDs, now with a lower lowest setting some LEDs will cut off. Also it probably takes a bit more "ooomph" to switch on the LED than to keep it on and dim it beyond what would be it's "on" point. This would be why it stays on at the lowest level but when you sleep and wake up it doesn't illuminate at that same level (or at all).

Manufacturing tolerances would explain why some folk see a problem, others don't.

Not really a bug that could be fixed in software other than taking away the ability on some devices to lower the level beyond what was previously possible.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #178
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Unable to Wifi Sync

So today I tried to do a wifi sync. I can connect to my network it says its checking for updates but 30 mins later it still trying to sync. Any one else with a wifi sync issue?

Kobo Glo here.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #179
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Angry Dutch dictionary totally broken

The Dutch dictionary doesn't work at all with firmware 2.5.0 installed.
When you highlight a word the dictionary pops up and only displays a message that there is no dictionary entry for the word "……" (fill in any simple, common dutch word).
This dictionary is totally not functioning. It's the original dictionary supplied by Kobo on the Touch.

Did a factory reset and updated through the Kobo Desktop to the new firmware 2.5.0. The problem still exists.

Last edited by Anak; 04-22-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: + original Kobo supplied dictionary
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #180
fraughton
fraughton began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Not sure if I should be starting a new thread for this or not.
I attempted to sync my wife's kobo touch yesterday over wifi. I checked on it 15 minutes later and it still said downloading at the top. I left it for almost an hour and still the same. That's when I noticed that it was completely locked up. No response from touchscreen or any buttons. I couldnt even turn it off. I did get it powered down by using a paper clip.
Now when I power it on the screen flashes black once, then goes blank and the light on top is flashing green. I attempted a factory reset. No change. Ive called Kobo several times, but all I get is the call volume is too high message and then they hang up.
The kobo is a year and a few months old, so chances are I'm out of luck on getting it fixed. Anyway, I'm just hoping someone here may have a suggestion that I havent tried yet. Kobo's own troubleshooting page only suggests basic or factory resets before telling you to buy another reader.
Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.
fraughton is offline   Reply With Quote