Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
DarkTrick
Enthusiast
DarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kindle Touch
PW2 display speed (pageswitch)

Hi,

I just found this video, that shows about how fast the display can switch colors. Just if anybody is interested in and didn't know, already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDrFp7tGgv8

For non-German speakers: He basically talks about a bug, that does appear on the PW2 and will cause the color-switch to be incredibly fast.

Personally, I would like to see, if this speed is also available for the VNC server or general Desktop-Movements.

regards
DarkTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrick View Post
Hi,

I just found this video, that shows about how fast the display can switch colors. Just if anybody is interested in and didn't know, already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDrFp7tGgv8

For non-German speakers: He basically talks about a bug, that does appear on the PW2 and will cause the color-switch to be incredibly fast.

Personally, I would like to see, if this speed is also available for the VNC server or general Desktop-Movements.

regards
And the 'bug' is what?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Either the good old A2 waveform update mode, or the 'new' GL4 they added somewhere in FW 5.5.x.

Which might be toggleable in some hidden menu somewhere, I guess? The other reagl stuff used to have one.

Note that I've never played with them in KOReader, because it's mostly terrible for text (as can be seen in the horribly aliased output in that video) [at least A2 is, can't speak for GL4, never tried it].

(cf. https://github.com/koreader/koreader...-kindle.h#L114, which is commented to address the question of when stuff was added to the drivers)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-15-2016 at 09:48 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lab126 is not a bit shy of re-defining what already works, are they?
I recall Geekmaster (negatively) commenting on that at length.

I have a KT (still on 5.3), a stack of PW-1s and two of the four 7th generation Kindle models available.
(And a bunch of non-touch Kindles, which I am currently ignoring.)

What I am looking for now is things that have changed (by intent or otherwise) to our advantage.

A weakness of that "change for changes sake" development model.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Now, if you want to see something trippy in your (let's say FW >= 5.5 to be safe) reader, try this:

Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr liglDebugParams readerSensitivityMode:5
Someone at lab126 had too much time on their hands ^^.

Once your eyes have finished burning, the default should be 8.

BTW, that menu I was talking about is still here:

Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pillow customDialog '{"name":"sensitivity_control","clientParams":{"show":true}}'
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 04:01 AM   #6
DarkTrick
Enthusiast
DarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDarkTrick juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
And the 'bug' is what?
The bug is, that the fast-switching behaviour apparently should not be available.

Thanks for the hints about the update modes. I didn't know, that there actually *are* some
So the information I shared was already known.
Anyway... Are there known methods of changing the update modes on non-jailbraked kindles?

Quote:
Which might be toggleable in some hidden menu somewhere, I guess?
would be nice, if amazon would support such a toggleable menu...(?)

Quote:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr liglDebugParams readerSensitivityMode:5
can you give me a hint, where to enter that? in a ssh-shell?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

At any command line.
telnet, ssh, serial port, kTerm, etc etc etc
Old 04-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
DarkTrick
Enthusiast

I was playing around with the above commands on my old kindle touch, but no way of changing the display change speed ( probably not yet implemented ).
Unfortunately I can't use my Paperwhite at the time for these things, so

could anybody (knc1?) who can play around with these options post a video on youtube, so I - and everybody else - has a chance of seeing the quick changing and its consequences?

regards?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The eink controller docs say the DU (direct update) and A2 (animation) modes are intended for things that need to change fast, like a touchpen cursor. Those modes update to saturated black or white only (no gray pixels in the update region). In fact, for the Broadsheet eink controller (K2/DX/DXG/K3) displaying any gray pixel in DU mode converts it to white. Pure black and white complete the update MUCH faster than gray pixels (which can be demonstrated with my kindle video player or my "newtrix" demo. The fast update can be followed by a slower update that supports gray pixels, which can fade in without any annoying flash (depending on display mode). You can see that when turning pages in a book in some non-flash modes.

The tradeoff is that the faster you update, the more ghosting you get.

Many eink displays only use 80-percent contrast ratio (black and white pixels only have 80-percent of their respective color particles affixed to the front display surface of the eink beads). I did a demo (unpublished) on my K3 (my first kindle) back when I first got it, which forced 100-percent contrast ratio by redrawing each display line many times in pure black and pure white very quickly, followed by line of image. Comparing what I drew that way compared to other pure black and white drawn elsewhere on the screen made a HUGE difference (making "normal" black and white look LESS than 80-percent contrast).

I was always planning to make my native mode framework (a work-in-progress) support this GMOD (GeekMaster OverDrive) display mode for when you want to redraw the screen with "real" 100-percent contrast instead of the much-lesser-contrast "normal" black and white. Some day RSN...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw2