Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
DarkLoki82
DarkLoki82 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Can't fetch Metadata

"No Metadata found, try adjusting the title and author and/or removing the isbn"
What do i do here? i used to be able upload metadata by isbn. Idk what to do here.
DarkLoki82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoki82 View Post
"No Metadata found, try adjusting the title and author and/or removing the isbn"
Do exactly what it says. Remove the isbn and then try fetching the metadata again. Some ISBNs don't have info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
DarkLoki82

Still nothing, same error again.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoki82 View Post
Still nothing, same error again.
I can't explain the inner workings, but since you removed the isbn make sure the title is correct, spelling is correct, make sure author is correct, try just the title with no author. After all that manually search Amazon or other internet source for metadata. If all that fails move on to the next book. Not all books are supported with metadata through Amazon, librarything etc... Some smaller publishers fly under the radar or haven't submitted flight paths.

If it is all books having this problem let us know
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
DarkLoki82

Same. Can't remember the last batch of books of books think Jd Robb books. This time books from publisher ROC and still the error
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Post the isbn of a book for which the metadata fetch is failing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
DarkLoki82

Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I tried fetching metadata and got madhouse by rob thurman. Make sure your isbndb key is correct and you haven't made more than 500 queries today as isbndb limits the number of queries per key.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
DarkLoki82

Still nothing, keep getting the same error
Updated calibre, still nothing.
Tried disabling the other two plugins and just leave isbndb.com and still nothing

Last edited by DarkLoki82; 01-18-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
...Not all books are supported with metadata through Amazon, librarything etc... Some smaller publishers fly under the radar or haven't submitted flight paths.

If it is all books having this problem let us know
Is there a way to change where Calibre looks for the data? Many times Calibre can't find info for the books I have, but when I manually look them up on goodreads.com, they're listed there with isbn, summaries, series info, covers etc. Can I switch it so Calibre looks at goodreads instead?
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
lilywhite
lilywhite doesn't litterlilywhite doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Same problem here. No changes to system, software, or anything. It just stopped working yesterday.

I tried opening the metadata for a book whose metadata I updated back when it was working, and "Fetch Metadata" didn't work there either.
lilywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
lilywhite
lilywhite doesn't litterlilywhite doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Found my problem and fixed. Not sure if it will help anyone else, but here's what happened:

Yesterday I was happily typing along in another program when my firewall generated a popup from the systray. Because it automatically went "on top" (I'm sure everyone is familiar with this maddening circumstance) and I was typing furiously in another program, I made a change to the firewall without knowing what it was. A quick check in the firewall settings didn't seem to reveal any problem so I let it go.

Just now I tried to email myself a book from calibre, and when that failed I reasoned that the firewall must have blocked calibre's internet access. Sure enough, a slower, more careful survey of the firewall settings revealed that this was the case. Gave calibre full access again and all is fine.

Thanks so much for this great program!
lilywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #13
DarkLoki82

ERROR: Cannot fetch cover: <b>Could not fetch cover.</b><br/>For the error message from each cover source, click Show details below.

openlibrary.org covers: <urlopen error [Errno 10049] The requested address is not valid in its context>

librarything.com covers: <urlopen error [Errno 10049] The requested address is not valid in its context>

error i get for trying to get covers.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #14
DarkLoki82

Updated to new version, everything works fine now.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
goldnangel
goldnangel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Freda WM7
Hi All,

I'm having the same problem as DarkLoki82 with regards to fetching metadata in Calibre. I'm running Windows 7 and have had no problem with fetching data in the past. The only change that I recently instituted, was I set up the web server in Calibre so I can access my library from my new WM7 Samsung as the new phone OS doesn't have the capability of transferring files via USB. I wanted the ability to view the library outside my home network so did some port forwarding to insure the connection. Everything works great on that end, but just these past few weeks, I've not been able to download any metadata. I instantly get the error message:

calibre, version 0.7.44
No metadata found: No metadata found, try adjusting the title and author and/or removing the ISBN.

Additionally, the following appears:
Google Books:
IsbnDB: Could not fetch ISBNDB metadata. Error;
Douban Books:
NiceBooks: Nicebooks encountered an error.

I was looking for Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh. The following is the info from ISBNDB:

Archangel's Consort
Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter)
Nalini Singh,
Publisher: Berkley
ISBN: 0425240134 DDC: 813 Edition: Paperback; 2011-01-25

I also, checked my access key with ISBNDB and found that it was active but had no usage today even though I tried retrieving the metadata on 18 books.

So clearly, the info is available but I can't seem to connect to any of the servers/db to download. I've tried other books as well, plus books that I was previously able to download the metadata for but no luck. I thought it might be my version of calibre as prior to today I was running ver 0.7.31, so I updated but again no connection. Not a firewall issue either as I tried disabling it and still no dice. Next, I tried disabling the port forwarding in the router but same results.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
goldnangel is offline   Reply With Quote