Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
forlor
forlor began at the beginning.

Device: none
InDesign 5.5 Issues

I generated an epub in Indesign 5.5.

Whenever I add the vendor-specific(kobo) metadata into the opf file, I get about 30 errors of "text not allowed here".

When the metadata is taken out, the epub validates fine.
This doesn't happen when I put the same metadata in an epub generated by an older version of InDesign.

Thoughts?
forlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
It did the same with the date field for me yesterday...5.5 is a pile of steaming...well...
You'll need to edit the content.opf file to fix the error
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Oh no, we just upgraded to 5.5 for the new epub features. Maybe not so wise after all. I might add, I'm surprised at InDesigns lack of power to create good quality pubs, especially as it's considered one of the most powerful tools available for epub creation. It feels like its trying to create the Internets first ever website, an ice age ago.
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_ink View Post
Oh no, we just upgraded to 5.5 for the new epub features.
Don't get me wrong it has some good features and the fact that it fixes annoying little things like adding , serif; or , sans-serif; after every font in the CSS is almost worth it right there...

You should make your own mind up on it though...Tip: don't use the preserve local overrides...in fact...yes. Use it once... then take a look at your code, Unusable.

Anyway this is just my opinion...Other people I know swear black and blue its the best thing since sliced bread and will not listen to the contrary...(but then they are InDesign Fanbois to begin with)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
petermarkadams
petermarkadams began at the beginning.

indesign cs5.5 image export

Hi

I guess this is probably down to my lack of experience with indesign but whenever I export my book as an EPUB & then use Calibre to convert it to MOBI for viewing in the Kindle reader, with Sepia colored pages the images show up with white backgrounds. I have fiddled with these images both before importing them to indesign & within in design (usingEffects - Fill - 0% and transparency /clipping paths) I wonder where I'm going wrong or is this a software bug ... sorry, 'feature'?

Thanks in advance

Peter
petermarkadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Adjust
Addict

It will be to do with the transparency. You really have to dumb down the ID file first. eg no nested style etc.

Tip. Get the images working how you want then in ID and do a screen capture of the image. and place that in instead.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by forlor View Post
I generated an epub in Indesign 5.5.

Whenever I add the vendor-specific(kobo) metadata into the opf file, I get about 30 errors of "text not allowed here".
How are you adding this metadata? This sounds like a problem in the post-processing rather than one concerning InDesign.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
petermarkadams
petermarkadams began at the beginning.

Hi,
Thanks for the idea ... I guess the drawback of that would be that I would lose the inDesign CS5.5 export feature that supports the dynamic re-sizing of images on different eReader devices.

Regards

Peter
petermarkadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Adjust
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermarkadams View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the idea ... I guess the drawback of that would be that I would lose the inDesign CS5.5 export feature that supports the dynamic re-sizing of images on different eReader devices.
No. Not if you are placing the screen grabs back into ID before exporting.