Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
Really? So, that one TOPAZ book (Warrant and Proper Function) that had the big spaces between words could be fixed?
It should but Topaz is a little funky because it doesn't use the built in Kindle font. You can still change the text size on a Topaz book but you would have to play with the line spacing and the text size to find what works best for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bumping thread for wallcraft. He's going to post a screen cap of something for me.
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Screenshots of another TOPAZ ebook, An Introduction to Probability and Inductive Logic , for enarchay. These are again font sizes 3 and 4. The (a),(b),(c) lines are very small and don't rescale with the font change, because they are an image. It is possible to zoom images, but this does not help much here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_TPZ3.gif
Views:	213
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	29706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_TPZ4.gif
Views:	225
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	29707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_TPZ5.gif
Views:	216
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	29708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_TPZ6.gif
Views:	211
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	29709  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #19
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Screenshots of another TOPAZ ebook, An Introduction to Probability and Inductive Logic , for enarchay. These are again font sizes 3 and 4. The (a),(b),(c) lines are very small and don't rescale with the font change, because they are an image. It is possible to zoom images, but this does not help much here.
Hmm, not sure if it makes better sense to buy it in paperback.

Last edited by enarchay; 05-24-2009 at 02:53 PM.
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
I asked this question in my previous thread, but I thought it was important enough to start a new thread just for this question.

I'm considering buying an ereader, but I'm wondering if most of the books I want will be available. First, some background. I’m a college student and I read a lot in my free time. I read almost zero fiction, so I’m not sure Kindle’s store would be a big advantage for me. When I'm not reading the required texts for my college classes, I primarily read about philosophy and theology.
I am new to the ebook thing and found a website called XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX that seems to have quite a bit of philosophy/theology, etc. in addition to tons of everything else (I'm chuffed to see lots of Steinbeck there). I haven't downloaded from the site yet and would welcome comment from anyone who has. Who will be the brave one to do this??

Last edited by Nate the great; 05-24-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: link deleted
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #21
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
I am new to the ebook thing and found a website called XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX that seems to have quite a bit of philosophy/theology, etc. in addition to tons of everything else (I'm chuffed to see lots of Steinbeck there). I haven't downloaded from the site yet and would welcome comment from anyone who has. Who will be the brave one to do this??
I think XXXXXXXXXXXX is great -- both in terms of his selection and what he is doing. Most of the books are txt which aren't going to be the prettiest thing to display on your reader but txt is most "reader-agnostic".

XXXXXXXXXXXX has books that you can't find electronically any place else. Are they going to be as good as something you buy in the Kindle store from a formatting point of view? Probably not. But you probably won't find most of them any place else. If you are really compulsive about formatting, you can always take the text file and format it the way you like and then use Calibre to convert it to the format of your choice.

Just my humble opinion...

Last edited by purl4peace; 05-24-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: link and name deleted
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Folks, that is a pirate website. As a matter of policy, we do not allow links. (I went a step to far in removing the name. My mistake.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #23
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Folks, that is a pirate website. As a matter of policy, we do not allow links. (I went a step to far in removing the name. My mistake.)
Sorry Nate... I didn't mean to step over the line. I'll remove the name from the title of my post as well.

Cheers...
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #24
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Sorry about doing that. I'm not familiar with the term, pirate website, and had no idea even the mention of one was not allowed. I did ask for info and so now I have received yours.

Is the website considered "pirate" because the owner bought ebooks and is now sharing them without charging? What's the difference between that and what members of this forum do? Just asking so I know and do not get spanked again.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Sorry about doing that. I'm not familiar with the term, pirate website, and had no idea even the mention of one was not allowed. I did ask for info and so now I have received yours.

Is the website considered "pirate" because the owner bought ebooks and is now sharing them without charging? What's the difference between that and what members of this forum do? Just asking so I know and do not get spanked again.

The problem is that he is sharing copyrighted material. Copyrighted material is owned and allows for a publisher and an author to be compensated for intellectual material.

Presently, in the way the site is set up, there is no montary compensation to the publisher and the author.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #26
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The problem is that he is sharing copyrighted material. Copyrighted material is owned and allows for a publisher and an author to be compensated for intellectual material.
Presently, in the way the site is set up, there is no montary compensation to the publisher and the author.

Don
Thanks for the explanation and like I said I didn't realize as it seemed like the same thing this forum does. How is it different so I can look for this?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Generally speaking, in the United States (where you are), material published prior to 1923 is in the public domain. Material published after that date is not, and cannot be legally copied or redistributed without the copyright holder's permission.

It's a lot more complicated than that in reality, but that's the basic version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #28
F1Wild
Addict

OK,thanks - want to make sure I'm understanding and not continuing to do something against the rules without realizing it. So, in order to upload something onto this forum permission is needed from the copyright holder? Wow, who gets to handle all of that admin. for the forum?!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
OK,thanks - want to make sure I'm understanding and not continuing to do something against the rules without realizing it. So, in order to upload something onto this forum permission is needed from the copyright holder? Wow, who gets to handle all of that admin. for the forum?!
It is the uploader's responsibility to ensure that what is uploaded is in the public domain, or is uploaded with the copyright holder's permission. Please see the book upload guidelines in the relevent fora for details.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #30
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is the uploader's responsibility to ensure that what is uploaded is in the public domain, or is uploaded with the copyright holder's permission. Please see the book upload guidelines in the relevent fora for details.
Thank you.