Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2022, 10:41 AM   #1
ajkessel
Connoisseur
ajkessel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation
Did latest firmware break /etc/udev/rules.d?

I recently updated by Libra 2 to firmware 4.33.19759 (7/20/22). The rules I have in /etc/udev/rules.d disappeared. I re-copied the relevant KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo, rebooted, then telnetted into the device. Still no files in /etc/udev/rules.d. I manually created the files via vi in the telnet session and that seems to have worked. But did something break with the latest update such that /etc/udev/rules.d is no longer written from KoboRoot.tgz? Or am I doing something wrong?
ajkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:55 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I would assume PEBCAK, yeah. Haven't noticed anything unusual on that front over here.

More details about what exactly you're doing and how would possibly be helpful .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:10 PM   #3
ajkessel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
More details about what exactly you're doing and how would possibly be helpful .
I have a KoboRoot.tgz file that includes a few files in /etc/udev/rules.d. I copy the file to the .kobo directory on the Libra 2, eject and reboot. It does show the usual screen when a new KoboRoot.tgz is added. If I then telnet to the Kobo and look in /etc/udev/rules.d, there are no files there. I am able to manually create the files with vi, but the normal installation route via KoboRoot.tgz isn't working for me. This same KoboRoot.tgz was working fine for me on earlier releases.

I should also note that until this update, those rules.d files were there. I did nothing to delete them. They just disappeared. Of course, it could be something other than the update that is responsible, but I haven't done anything out of the ordinary with the device in the past couple of weeks and certainly never deleted the rules.d files.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:14 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I was kinda implying actually wanting the exact filenames of the rules and very specific details about how the tarball is built and how it actually lists ;o).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #5
ajkessel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I was kinda implying actually wanting the exact filenames of the rules and very specific details about how the tarball is built and how it actually lists ;o).
Ah, I figured it out. I thought this tarball had worked in the past but it turns out when I created it most recently, I forgot to include -h to deference symlinks. So the tarball contained symlinks rather than the underlying files. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Tags
firmware, udev