Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
jskvbinmv
jskvbinmv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard wifi
Page turning remote / App wanted

Hey everybody,

i came about various threads here on how to set up a remote page turning device.

I already jailbreaked my device, set up usbnetwork, enabled ssh and logged in successfully. I am now able to turn pages from the terminal on my computer.

However this does not solve the problem of staying warm and cosy while reading. So now I am looking for a solution to send ssh-commands by pushing a single button from an under the blanket device.

I am sure there are some Android Apps doing this. I found this one but unfortunately it won't install. The installer quits with a parsing error. (I am using Cyanogenmod 9 based on Android 4.0.4)

I also found various apps browsing the play store but none of them is able to connect a command with... the volume buttons for example.

Maybe one of you has an app or a solution for me...
jskvbinmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
http://www.xkcd.com/730/
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
jskvbinmv

Well you could have pointed me over to this thread at least...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2540347
Old 04-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskvbinmv View Post
Well you could have pointed me over to this thread at least...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2540347
or:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

Specifically, the entries on finding things yourself.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
jskvbinmv

Well I've used the board search and extensive google searches. I found some threads describing that someone has done this before but there isn't any downloadable app i could use. Therefore I opened this thread here...

I can bring my kindle to respond to ssh commands using HowTos from the Internet but I simply cannot write an android app. That's why I am asking if anyone who has done this before could provide his or her solution.
Advert
Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Here is the answer I gave in another thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...79#post2626579
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

You want an Android app then. . . .
Hmm....

If zxczxc ever released his code, I don't recall his announcing it on the forum.
You could try to contact him by PM, he still visits this site.

Since this forum is for the grayscale Kindles, and the grayscale Kindles do not run Android . . . .
This probably isn't the best place to be looking for an Android developer.

The few people I can think of with both skill sets have not been very active here recently.
Although someone here may be an Android Guru and just never mentioned it (yet).

You might try to contact the author of the application which you can't load.

- - - - -

You might change your requirements -

The K3 has physical page turn buttons and is fairly easy to open;
get someone to wire them to an edge connector, then use button(s) in a small holder connected to the Kindle by an "extension cord".

That can be done by anyone with electrical/electronic skills in short order.
Someone that is probably easier to find than an Android developer on a non-Android forum.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
Ian.M
Connoisseur
Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle 3 GB 3G
It might be better to hack in via the serial port. A simple pulse of the right range of lengths will be decoded as various characters depending on the pulse length. The serial line needs to idle at 1.8V (K3 logic '1' level) and be pulled down to 0V (logic '0') for one bit time to send the start bit of a character. If it immediately returns to '1', the character 0xFF will be received, if it is held low for one more bit time, the character will be 0xFE, two more bit times 0xFD and so on to 0x00 after eight more bit times. If held low for longer it will get a framing error.

To do something useful with this, you would need a keyfob wireless remote kit and receiver + a circuit to generate the correct delay for each button and limit the voltage to the K3 to 1.8V max. It should also force logic 0 if the kindle's TX line isn't idle at logic '1' or pulsing so it doesn't try to apply a signal when the kindle is off.

You would also need to write a daemon to run on the K3 that monitors serial input, looks for characters, counts the '0' bits in them starting from the LSB and fakes key presses as appropriate.

Incidentally, I find it much simpler to read in bed on the PC using a 5 button wireless mouse with a very large font selected, the screen dimmed and one of the extra buttons set up to turn pages, but I do encourage you to pursue this as a simple standalone hardware interface for external buttons would be a real boon for users with physical accessibility issues.

Last edited by Ian.M; 04-15-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Ian.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian.M View Post
It might be better to hack in via the serial port.
- - - - -
If you re-purpose the serial port, what are you going to use for the operator's console port?

Linux **MUST** have a console port, otherwise it will not even boot.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
why not just open the unit and solder a push button switch across the turn page button?
I've modified a multitude of devices to a similar end (I worked with special needs children who couldn't operate the devices without the modification). I don't see why (without looking at the hardware itself as I don't have a K3) you couldn't just do that. Why would you need another device?
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
jskvbinmv

Yeah I already thought about opening the device and to connect the page turning buttons to the audio jack plug. but when I found out there is a software method to this i tried this one because I really don't feel confident about soldering stuff.

I am going to contact zxczxc...
Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #12
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Have you checked Tasker and Tasker SSH Command Launcher ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #13
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
ok ok, i'll release the apk and source i'll try and do it today
i meant to do it shortly after when i first created that thread, i just forgot etc
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
mbarabasz
mbarabasz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 wifi
Hi,
I don't know if you still haven't found the solution. I recently updated my blog entry about http://mbarabasz.wordpress.com/2013/...e-page-turner/ there is a new version of the app available on github. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you. This version of app works greate with bluetooth shutter - also mentioned in the blog.

regards
Marcin
mbarabasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarabasz View Post
Hi,
I don't know if you still haven't found the solution. I recently updated my blog entry about http://mbarabasz.wordpress.com/2013/...e-page-turner/ there is a new version of the app available on github. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you. This version of app works greate with bluetooth shutter - also mentioned in the blog.

regards
Marcin
hey, i saw your website a few months ago, i like what you did. i didn't look at your code but i guess it is better than mine
i'm not sure if you saw what i did, i posted it here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2540347
(you basically did the same thing as me -i'm not hurt , although i didn't use the wired version)
the last time i looked at your site you didn't have the bluetooth thing, cool that you have it now
i did mine more than a year ago, i haven't used it for a few months, but did you have any weird problems at all with disconnecting? i forget exactly, but i think after a while the ssh session would die, and i would have to reconnect to the kindle.
(i simply made a button on the zeemote remote to do this)
thanks
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote