Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Do you want to scan and fix Kindle?

Well, it happened to me yesterday. My Win7 PC started prompting for this every time I connected by USB.

I placed a service call to Amazon, and the tech had never heard of it! He had me try a hard reset (press and hold the power button for 30 seconds), which did not work.

At this point he decided it must be my computer. I proved to him it wasn't by repeating the exercise with another PC. He wasn't really convinced, but I offered to connect another Kindle which was clean, at which point he gave in and acknowledged the problem lay with the Kindle.

Fortunately, my library is maintained by Calibre, so I suggested to the tech that we try a factory reset, and the problem went away, but now I am partway through re-loading my books onto my Kindle from Calibre.

How do users without Calibre cope?
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Well, it happened to me yesterday. My Win7 PC started prompting for this every time I connected by USB.

I placed a service call to Amazon, and the tech had never heard of it! He had me try a hard reset (press and hold the power button for 30 seconds), which did not work.

At this point he decided it must be my computer. I proved to him it wasn't by repeating the exercise with another PC. He wasn't really convinced, but I offered to connect another Kindle which was clean, at which point he gave in and acknowledged the problem lay with the Kindle.

Fortunately, my library is maintained by Calibre, so I suggested to the tech that we try a factory reset, and the problem went away, but now I am partway through re-loading my books onto my Kindle from Calibre.

How do users without Calibre cope?
Vista did this to me when I got my K4. It seems to think the K3 and K4 were the same. I had to run the scan under certain line commands to get rid of it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The file system on the Kindle memory got corrupted. It works like a Usb-stick and is treated as such. Next time make a full backup copy of everything on the Kindle memory as insurance against any disasters (if this can still be done), and then let the scan run. It should fix the file system and the problem. A factory reset effectively formats the Kindle's storage, so it creates a new file system, thereby also solving the problem.

This problem is caused when you disconnect the Kindle (or any other storage device) while it's being written to. Make sure you eject (safe remove) it to avoid this problem.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-19-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just say "Yes" and do the scan and fix.

It sounds as if you've been unplugging your Kindle from your PC without doing a "Safely Remove Hardware" first. Never, EVER do this, or you run the risk of corrupting the file system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
My Calibre restore went without a hitch. Everything is back to normal again.

I had thought Amazon Support would be the best place to go for advice about what to do, but it turns out, there are far more folk here with knowledge of the problem (and its cause) than at Amazon.

Yes, I did disconnect my Kindle without ejecting it first. As a Calibre user, I use Calibre's Eject mechanism, which is their equivalent of the Windows 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool.

Just the once I let my guard down, and it bit me!
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert