Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
olivelove
olivelove began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
ipad - best site to purchase books?

I've just bought an ipad and didn't know that their library was so limited! I am also limited in my knowledge of downloading and finding my way around technical tasks. Is there a "user friendly" site that has a large offering of books that i can purchase for my ipad?

Thanks,
Lisa
olivelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
If you use one of the store apps like Kindle or Barnes & Noble, you can just buy from them. You will have to read the book on that app rather than in iBooks, but then again iBooks is just another app!
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Any ePub that you get anywhere can be dropped into iTunes and will show up on the iBooks shelves.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A good place to start is Smashwords.com
Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Linda S. Prather
Enthusiast
Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.

Device: none
I love it when someone else asks the questions I need to know.
Linda S. Prather is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!

Hi Linda! What can I do to help?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfitz View Post
If you use one of the store apps like Kindle or Barnes & Noble, you can just buy from them. You will have to read the book on that app rather than in iBooks, but then again iBooks is just another app!
One of my favorite web sites for free books is feedbooks.com

Amazon.com via the Kindle app has lots of freebies too.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Feedbooks is great. So is many books.org, and right here.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best bookstore by far for commercial eBooks is Amazon; download and install the Kindle app for your iPad.

For out of copyright classics, you'll find hand-formatted versions right here at MR, which are generally a lot better than those available at low cost from commercial bookstores. Download the ePub version here, and use with the "iBooks" app.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Any ePub that you get anywhere can be dropped into iTunes and will show up on the iBooks shelves.
But if it has ADEPT DRM, you won't be able to read it in iBooks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
But if it has ADEPT DRM, you won't be able to read it in iBooks.
You can in txtr though, although they don't support the standard method of loading books, which is rather annoying.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

txtr not very useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You can in txtr though, although they don't support the standard method of loading books, which is rather annoying.
I don't see that there is any way to add ebooks to txtr app other than by buying them from the txtr store in Germany. Have I overlooked something? In other words as I understand the situation there is no way that I can add Adobe DRM'd eBooks that I have bought elsewhere to txtr running on my iPad.
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by xristy View Post
I don't see that there is any way to add ebooks to txtr app other than by buying them from the txtr store in Germany. Have I overlooked something? In other words as I understand the situation there is no way that I can add Adobe DRM'd eBooks that I have bought elsewhere to txtr running on my iPad.
You can create an account on the txtr website, upload books there, then download them to the iPad app. It works fine, but is clunky, and doesn't fit in with how apps are 'meant' to work. It also doesn't accept Open In... from other apps.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You can create an account on the txtr website, upload books there, then download them to the iPad app. It works fine, but is clunky, and doesn't fit in with how apps are 'meant' to work. It also doesn't accept Open In... from other apps.
Thanks for clearing that up. I have gone to the txtr site and signed up and uploaded several eBooks and it indeed all works. As you said, it - is - clunky. Further the reader is nothing to write home about.

I truly hope that a usable ADE app eventually appears for iPad. I am however somewhat annoyed with the plethora of ways of reading and the lack of integration regarding which books are where.

At least txtr is a proof of concept that it is possible to have an ADE reader on the iPad.
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
As above really;
Free Public domain in various formats:
Mobile read books
Gutenberg
Feedbooks
Smashwords
Sribd

For purchased stuff:
Amazon - needs kindle app
WHsmith
Waterstones
Ibookstore via the ipad itself of course

Worth bearing in mind the great software in the forums here if you haven't already, Calibre for library organizing and converting formats - and Sigil for modifying, fixing and adding covers for epubs.

Last edited by rakulos; 08-10-2010 at 12:46 PM.
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote