Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My (free) mystery novel is here!

Hi everyone

Just testing the self-publishing waters a little. I am not quite ready to put this on Smashwords or anything---it's a draft and needs a bit of work yet. But I posted about it elsewhere and people said I might try things out here first, see how it goes etc. I may post it elsewhere, in a modified form, if I do decide it merits further updating.

Title: Hel's Angel

Genre: Mystery

Synopsis: Helena Snowden is a twenty-something hack journalist whose tame little word is thrown into disarray when her estranged father, a local literature professor, dies suddenly. As her long-underutilized reporter's sixth sense kicks in and she begins investigating, Helena finds herself competing with her arch-rival Alex Calvin for a hot local story, caring for the odd, orphaned half-brother she never knew she had and plundering her Riverside Shakespeare for messages from her father which may lead her to his killer and which will take her deeper into the troubled world he inhabited...

Notes: This is a draft and requires/will possibly undergo revision and re-issuing in an altered form. I reserve all rights to it. Apologies for any wonky formatting---the forum would not let me upload an RTF file greater than 1 mg so I had to export it as a PDF from Neo Office and then run it through Stanza to get an epub...

Comments and feedback are welcome and appreciated. I had fun with this novel and hope you enjoy it!

UPDATE: For those who can handle word docs, I have uploaded that version as well. You can save it as HTML or plain text and easily convert it to a format of your choosing. You'll get a much cleaner copy that way, I hope.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Hel's Angel.epub (130.0 KB, 322 views)
File Type: doc Hels Angel.doc (885.0 KB, 382 views)

Last edited by ficbot; 08-28-2009 at 12:53 PM.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Thank you for sharing your book. I'm downloading it and will be glad to provide some feedback when I read it. I read a lot of mystery novels -- probably 50% of what I read every year -- so I'm excited to discover something new to read.

RTF --> NeoOffice --> PDF --> Stanza --> ePub

There's a better way. Try using Calibre; import RTF, export ePub (and Mobipocket and ...)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Thanks for sharing your work ficbot , downloaded and on my 'to read' list - (feedback when I have)
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks for making this available to the members here on MobileRead!

I know you want some feedback and constructive criticism, so I'll try to get to it soon although I'm currently reading two other novels at this time. (When I was working on my Ph.D. in English Literature [not completed], I also taught writing to first year students, so I do have a little bit of training in this area.)

I look forward to reading your work.

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Thank you for the book.

Here is my first feedback.
Please understand, I do not want to look the gift horse into the mouth, I just want to help to improve the book, just as I have been asked ;-)

1. You have no metadata in the epub file. It means that when you import the file into the Sony Library, Calibre software or any reading device the title is "unknown", author is "unknown"

2. the format of the book is a mess.
2.a there are page numbers left in the text, like this
Quote:
I have been
greeted with
2.b The paragraphs are run together
2.c The xhtml files that are inside epub archive contain utf8 characters for curly quotes, emdashes, ellipsis ... . Curly quotes and other fancy characters should be represented by Character entity references
Point 2 complaint have been most probably caused by use of wrong tool for conversion or choosing wrong input format for conversion.

3. You have not provided more formats

I have made a conversion for my own use, so I can read the book (and provide further comments if you wish) because free book is free book and I have to reformat most of my reading material anyway. But few people have the time, the means, the expertise and the inclination to reformat a book that is not immediately readable on their device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kacir, I tried converting it in Calibre and Calibre kept giving me error messages. I tried uploading a plain text file and it was slightly bigger than the 1 mg the forum allows for RTF. Do you have any other suggestions for cleaning up the formatting a little?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Got it, looking forward to reading it. THANKS!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Kacir, I tried converting it in Calibre and Calibre kept giving me error messages. I tried uploading a plain text file and it was slightly bigger than the 1 mg the forum allows for RTF. Do you have any other suggestions for cleaning up the formatting a little?
I guess there is some problem with the source file you started with.

- The most obvious thing you can do is put the txt file inside zip archive.
- you can also divide the book into two text files and ask local experts for help with formatting
- you can upload the original document in MSWord, OpenOffice Writer or whatever format you use.
- you can try to download bookdesigner and try to convert.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard

I am on a Mac so I don't ave Book Designer. I am uploading the word doc and maybe that will be easier for some people. Thanks for the feedback so far! Hope you enjoy the content of the story.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Hels Angel.doc (885.0 KB, 479 views)
Old 08-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
I am on a Mac so I don't ave Book Designer. I am uploading the word doc and maybe that will be easier for some people. Thanks for the feedback so far! Hope you enjoy the content of the story.
Thank you very much. This is much better.
The book is at the moment being read on my Reader.

Last edited by kacir; 08-28-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Quote:
If you would like to try, PDF optimized for ebook readers is quite good. You can have a try at a web app I made at http://www.majgaj.com/pdf
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
... I am not quite ready to put this on Smashwords or anything---it's a draft and needs a bit of work yet ...
Well, I have loaded it to my Reader and have read about 25% so far.

It is good. Surprisingly good.
The first few pages were a little bit unconvincing, but the book quickly picked up the pace.
I even got a new word for my vocabulary - finagle.
It has been literally years since I looked up a word from a fiction book in a dictionary ;-)

Last edited by kacir; 08-29-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
Krapmeister
Krapmeister began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Thanks for the opportunity to test drive your book... I've downloaded it and put it on my eReader. If you don't hear from me in a few weeks time, give me a poke so I can offer you my feedback.

K
Krapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Looking forward to it, ficbot, and congratulations!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you, ficbot, for putting this out there for us.

I downloaded and will get to it as soon as the first couple of weeks of the new school year settles down.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote