Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I'm curious

Is there a reader on the market that has no store tied to it, no kobo, amazon, sony store etc..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
tablepad
tablepad began at the beginning.

Device: none
haven't tried it yet.
tablepad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Pocketbook?
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Is there a reader on the market that has no store tied to it, no kobo, amazon, sony store etc..
With the Sony reader you're not tied to a store. You can always install the software (Digital Editions) direct from Adobe and you won't even see the Sony Store.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Bookeen, Onyx, Bebook, all the Hanlin and Netronix clones?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies, I was just wondering. Sometimes the stores on the devices I have feel less like something useful and more like advertising being forced on me.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think that you are looking at the issue wrong ron. Its not that electronic readers are tied to a particualr store its that they can only read a particular set of formats, and anyone can provide books in that format. All of the readers that I have had will allow you to download electronic books to your computer then upload them to the reader, often referred to as side loading. The Libra Pro can understand a particular set of book formats and can read any book in one of those formats and show it to the screen. The Kindle is another good example, its tied to Amazon only when you use the 3G or wireless capabilities. If you go to a store, such as BAEN (as I have done a few times) and purchased a book from there, you can download the book then upload it to your Kindle and as long as the book is in one of the formats that the Kindle supports it will show it to your screen. I have recently downloaded a few free books from BAEN and sideloaded them to my Kindle and it has no problem showing either to the screen since I downloaded them in one of the format's that Kindle supports. I have a friend who routinely buys from several online stores and downloads in formats that the Kindle will support and he sideloads them to the reader.

I know my older Libra Pro can read books from ebooks.com, since I did that a few times. The Libra Pro is tied to Borders but I did not always get the books from there.

So none of the readers force you to buy from a particular store you can alsways side load in any of the formats that the reader can except.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Ron.
Evangelist

I sideload almost all my books, even if I buy from the store tied to the device. I might buy from the kindle store just because I happen to be browsing amazon, then convert and load it on my nook. The kindle has it's recommendations at the end of books, doesn't matter if it was bought from amazon or not. my nook has recommendations on the home screen. I have never bought any of them from either device. I guess at times I feel like the ereader serves as an advertising device for the store (amazon or B&N) and not as an ereader for me. I was just wondering if there was a magical device out there that simply read books, nothing more. I can ignore these (recommendations/ads) and I do, it's not really deal breaker for me. I was just curious, If it ever bothered me so much I wanted to scream I could just root my nook and install any number of epub readers on it that do not tie into a store.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
As I said earlier, download Digital Editions direct from Adobe and you won't even see the Sony Store on your Sony ereader.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Ron.
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
As I said earlier, download Digital Editions direct from Adobe and you won't even see the Sony Store on your Sony ereader.

If I ever find a store that sells sonys I will check them out
Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The only way you'll ever see the Kobo store (or anything related to it) on a Kobo is if you specifically open it. No rec's or ads or anything like that. The only store related thing you can't avoid is the "Store" (that's what it literally says) "button" on the home screen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #12
Ron.
Evangelist

The "Lookbook" I have runs the kobo software, it's been awhile since I played with it, might give it another look..
Old 09-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Android Tablet. You can load epubs and choose your reader. No store. Or you can add apps for all the stores if you like.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote