Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #16
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I gather, the defective screens when in direct sunlight were made by LG.

No, i spoke with PVI in may at SID, they confirmed the problem. Besides, Onyx sources its displays from PVI (now "Eink Holdings")
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #17
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
OK, thank you. I will either sell the Boox or give it to my wife and buy DX I guess. Boox is real great. I loved everything about it except the screen. After sitting the whole day by PC I can notice even the smallest glare on the screen. I think newer Boox's screens has more glare, cause I was sent older device first that I had to return due to sun issues. But that first device was actually quite good glare-wise and a bit whiter. I dunno whats going on with Wacom screens but they obviously changed something. They might ve fixed sun issue but they also added more glare. Sorry for confusion, but I am just telling about my experience in case smbody will run in the same issues.
Don't give it up- it's a question that can be resolved under warranty. By the way, as pointed out by Dulin's book before, the wacom interface is not interferring with the screen- it's under the screen so don't worry about it.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Don't give it up- it's a question that can be resolved under warranty. By the way, as pointed out by Dulin's book before, the wacom interface is not interferring with the screen- it's under the screen so don't worry about it.
So what should i do Send it back again for second replacement.....Buy another device like DX or smth... I love folder support and tons of other cool features in Boox, but I cant constantly argue with a seller for replacements.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

OK, just to show everybody that this is not my imagination I went outside and made a lot of photos showing the real picture. A picture is worth a thousand words, isnt it?

I posted lots of pics online. So feel free to follow this link to browse them:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pashlit7...n88ry5rcvKrQE#

Here are some of them:

1) Screen saver on my Boox when I opened it:

2) Boox under sunlight, first with refresh ON, second OFF:

-

3) Boox with bigger fonts. Better! Yeahhh, right....

-

4) Boox in a shade. Finally some progress:

-

5) Glare on Boox's screen. Tough to show in the pic but still quite noticeable.

-
Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes its defective. you should have no trouble getting it exchanged can you pm to me who you purchased it from? ill get you the address for where to send it for exchange.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #21
water515
water515 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox
I ordered my boox in January. About a month ago I sent it in because some permanent black bars were developing at the top and bottom of the screen. The new one they sent me has much better contrast. The black is black, not grey.
water515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #22
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by water515 View Post
I ordered my boox in January. About a month ago I sent it in because some permanent black bars were developing at the top and bottom of the screen. The new one they sent me has much better contrast. The black is black, not grey.
Is it better than one the pictures I posted? I just sent second device back and dont know if I want to take the 3rd chance.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm hoping the new Pearl screens won't have this defect at all so there will be no sunlight issues with it. I've seen the sunlight fade that is so bad, that if you put a finger on the screen, turn the page, you can see where the finger was.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm hoping the new Pearl screens won't have this defect at all so there will be no sunlight issues with it. I've seen the sunlight fade that is so bad, that if you put a finger on the screen, turn the page, you can see where the finger was.
But I am confused a bit now. BOOX comes with Wacom screen, that is not pearl as I know. Is there going to be a new Boox witn pearl screen? Who else besides Amazon's manufactures eReaders with pearl screens now. Pocket Books might come up with one, but they also use Wacom screens as I know.

Last edited by pashlit; 08-25-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #25
hca2000
hca2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Bebook Mini, HTC Desire, Ipad, Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
But I am confused a bit now. BOOX comes with Wacom screen, that is not pearl as I know. Is there going to be a new Boox witn pearl screen? Who else besides Amazon's manufactures eReaders with pearl screens now. Pocket Books might come up with one, but they also use Wacom screens as I know.
I think you got a few things mixed up. At the moment only the Kindle feature the Pearl screen.

The Boox uses a Vizplex screen to show you the image, like most other E Ink ereaders.

The Wacom is a separate screen, behind the E Ink display, that interacts with the stylus.

Could we see a Boox with both Pearl and Wacom? Maybe, but not for a while. It seems Amazon has their big grubby hands all over the first many batches.
hca2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #26
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hca2000 View Post
I think you got a few things mixed up. At the moment only the Kindle feature the Pearl screen.

The Boox uses a Vizplex screen to show you the image, like most other E Ink ereaders.

The Wacom is a separate screen, behind the E Ink display, that interacts with the stylus.

Could we see a Boox with both Pearl and Wacom? Maybe, but not for a while. It seems Amazon has their big grubby hands all over the first many batches.
Ahhh, OK. Thanks a lot for nice explanation. Yeah, I mixed up things. I thought Wacom was a screen itself up till now.
Yeah, greedy Amazon is killing the market. selling their stuff dirt cheap.