Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Free (Kindle DRM-free) October Five by Mobashar Qureshi [Canadian Mystery] +KDP

No significant backlist sf/fantasy has yet shown up in the KDP Select exclusive-or-else slushpile trawl.

But there is something nice for Canadiana mystery aficionados. (And a few romance thriller etc. for non-Canadiana/non-mystery aficionados.)

The Mercury Press is a long-established (okay, they're older than I am, which I count as ancient in publishing terms) Canadian small-press imprint which has produced stuff which has gone on to win the Governor General's Award.

Mobashar Qureshi, a Nigerian-born Canadian writer, was once named a top 10 rising mystery talent in our semi-prestigious Quill & Quire book industry/home-grown literature magazine, roughly equivalent to Publisher's Weekly.

The October Five by Mobashar Qureshi is an apparently police procedural murder mystery, originally published by Mercury Press in 2009.

He also offers some other novels and short fiction at prices ranging from 99 cents to $2.99, it looks like.

Free without DRM for who knows how long @ Amazon main UK DE ES FR IT.

Description
Veteran Detective Karl Whaler is thrown into an investigation that may be the strangest and most dangerous of his career, involving five men who meet secretly in a room. They consist of a Plumber, an Electrician, a Caretaker, a Locksmith, and a Butcher.

Whaler’s search leads him to a mystery that is decades old.

The October Five is a mystery that examines friendship, loyalty, and justice.

Award-winning sf writer Eric James Stone's free story of the day is: Tabloid Reporter to the Stars

Don Pendleton, writer of those Mack Bolan: Executioner action/adventure novels which my library has in paperback, offers the self-explanatory: Time to Time: Ashton Ford, Psychic Detective. Other books in this and another series by him are $2.99.

Kensington & Harlequin-published Doreen Owens Malek offers two more romances; contemporary with lawyer & soap opera star: Another Life, historical which looks like it's set in the US Civil War, though there could be some other context for "rebel" such as Highland Scot: Torchlight

Kensington-published cozy mystery writer Peggy Webb offers two romances free to all via Smashwords; time-travel romance novella: Christmas in Time, humorous contemporary romance: Donovan's Angel

Formerly featured small-press erotic romance writer Jenna Byrnes offers two shorter tales; paranormal f/m ghost romance: Dreams of Dani

In conjunction with also-Phaze Press-published Jude Mason, Byrnes offers an m/m romantic suspense: Willing and Able

Mason also offers a solo m/m historical romance short with a paranormal element: Of Death and Desire

Writers who have been omnibused with formerly Dorchester-published Gemma Halliday's works have some of their own works free if you want to try them (mainly horror & thriller as far as I can tell + some mystery and maybe a fantasy): Scott Nicholson, J.R. Rain, Aiden James.

Previously-featured Robert Swartwood, who had a few stories published in respectable horror/literary outlets, offers a collection of such (may not be the same as the published ones): Phantom Energy: [Very Short] Stories

(ETA: Short zombie story by Swartwood which he says won some kind of contest: In the Land of the Blind)

J.R. McLemore, who similarly has one or two stories published in traditional small-press horror/thriller magazines, offers a mystery/thriller novel: Majoring in Murder

Previously-featured Robert W. Walker's 5th Jessica Coran Forensic Pathologist thrillers is now KDP-freebied and seems to have comparatively better reviews than the 7th posted earlier: Darkest Instinct.

Fellow MR member author and writer of TV show tie-in novels Lee Goldberg offers a PI mystery/thriller: Watch Me Die.

Dave Zeltserman's Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine Reader's Choice award-winning short stories are now KDP-freebied (previously free for a long time on Smashwords, but now Amazon-exclusive): Julius Katz Mysteries

Berkley-published Julie Hyzy offers a mystery in her Alex St. James series: Deadly Shorts

If you missed UK writer John Matthew's previously Penguin-published legal thriller earlier, it's free again: Ascension Day.

That pretty much seems to be it. Happy reading, if you see anything you think you might like.

ETA: This is as far as I can tell not a genuine backlist author/book (only work, published as only book by "publisher" who's never printed anything else), but the Product Description section is certainly what I can only hope is a work of performance art and I encourage you to view it for the lulz: Noble Vision: A Novel

That is possibly the most brilliantly elaborate product-page-trolling I have yet to see on Amazon, short of those comedic fake reviews on the 3 Moon Wolf Shirt and the Tuscan Milk.

Huh. Looks like the author may actually be seriously for serious about that. But the hyperbole of the quoted "reviews" are still sporfle-tastic, even if subject to Poe's Law.

I also like how the moment there's a 1-star review, several other 5-star reviews pop up in the next couple of weeks, some by people who've never bothered to review anything else thus far. But that may simply be coincidence. Very enthusiastic sudden coincidence.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-11-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: You'd think that a testimonial from a Nobel non-literature laureate on a self-published novel would be totally fake.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Jenna Byrnes link goes to Robert Walker

Here are her links:
http://www.amazon.com/Willing-and-Ab.../dp/B00507FOS6
http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-of-Dani.../dp/B006V56YHG
http://www.amazon.com/Never-Goodbye-.../dp/B005DHNY1W
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

correct link for Lee Goldberg's Watch Me Die.

http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Me-Die-ebook/dp/B003BLPGZO/
Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer

J.R. McLemore's Majoring in Murder - http://www.amazon.com/Majoring-Murde...dp/B0067838EO/
Old 01-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Just for those interested - the free books from Aiden James, Scott Nicholson, J. R. Rain, and H.T. Night are part of a promotional contest that is giving away at least four and perhaps as many as 6 Kindle Fires (paid for by the authors). There are details on an early blog post on my website, if you want to enter (social media required, probably somewhat limited in where they can ship - full details on the contest site, as well).
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fixed, thanks. I have no idea whether the Windows clipboard simply hates cooperating with Chrome, or it just malfunctions for reasons of its own, or maybe the netbook has keys that intermittently stick on C and V, but I hope that Apple comes up with some nice models when they refresh their laptop lines with the rumoured redesign this year.

OS X may have its problems, but at least they're problems I'm familiar with and know to expect.

Thanks also for the info on the contest for interested forum-goers. That sounds like a nice bonus for fans of those authors and new readers looking to get acquainted.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks for the list.

I think I picked up 27 titles.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-11-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: from 20 to 27 titles
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard

Two non-KDP additions, likely to last about as long:

Aris Whittier's Five Star-published mystery/romantic suspense is apparently playing pricing catchup with Smashwords: Fatal Embrace is now free for Kindle, but back to $2.99 @ SW.

But now free @ SW is her contemporary romance novel, which was 99 cents+ last time I looked: Across Eternity
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks for the list.

I think I picked up 27 titles. Don
Thanks for these books being available only to Kindlers -- saved me from buying 27 more books. The more I think about the Kindle exclusivity, the more I appreciate that Bezos is helping my personal economy. There are a whole lot of ebooks that I'll never buy or hear of again.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really don't see the problem here, Rich . I buy both Kindle and ePub books, and convert the ePub books to Mobi; is there anything to stop you from converting Mobi books to ePub?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Given a chunk of these are free and DRM free and you can buy on the web and download from the website, exclusivity doesn't matter in a lot of cases?

Also, nice list - never thought I would serendipitously come across one of the Pendleton Ford books!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don't see the problem here, Rich . I buy both Kindle and ePub books, and convert the ePub books to Mobi; is there anything to stop you from converting Mobi books to ePub?
Harry, if I could tell which books are mobi and DRM free then no, Calibre would do them justice. Of course, I'd have to break my #1 book-buying rule (buy from anyone but Amazon) and my #2 rule (don't buy books from authors who have given Amazon exclusives), but these days rules are made to be broken.

The other problem is that Amazon hasn't let me download ebooks unless I install Amazon software on my computer, something I'm not going to do.

Last edited by rhadin; 01-12-2012 at 11:45 AM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Harry, if I could tell which books are mobi and DRM free then no, Calibre would do them justice. Of course, I'd have to break my #1 book-buying rule (buy from anyone but Amazon) and my #2 rule (don't buy books from authors who have given Amazon exclusives), but these days rules are made to be broken.

The other problem is that Amazon hasn't let me download ebooks unless I install Amazon software on my computer, something I'm not going to do.

"Buy" the book - it's free, so buy isn't really the right word.
Using a broken Kindle (which you only need to get a serial #), register it to your account (cheap on ebay).
Use the transfer via USB option to download the books to your computer. No software required.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Heck of a lot easier to use "Kindle for PC/Mac". Why the vehement objection to it, Rich?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote