Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
dicky.woollard
dicky.woollard began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad reader edition
Can you believe this????

I bought an iLiad reader for my wife for Christmas on November 20th. I gave it to her, but it didn't work. The USB to PC connection didn't function.

I sent it back to iLiad. They have still got it. They last communicated a week ago to say they don't have a spare motherboard! WHAT???

I MUST BE MAD

I have bought another one - a 2nd edition - for me.

You will not believe this - but THIS one won't connect to my PC (or anyone elses) either!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the problem?

Can you believe that they send these expensive tools out without testing them???

Has anyone got any clues for me about what can be done - or am I going to have to send them another one for them to put on a shelf?

Are there any hints about connecting that I have missed?

Dicky
dicky.woollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
What do you want by connecting iLiad with PC? To transfer ebooks from PC to iLiad? I would suggest use a SD or CF card or a USB memory stick to transfer files between PC and iLiad. It's much more simple and will keep you from coping with various connection problems.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's not really the point, is it? If it won't recognise the USB connection, then there's something amiss. Dicky - have you tried using the connecting cable from your old iLiad - it might be that the new cable is faulty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky.woollard View Post
Are there any hints about connecting that I have missed?
Dicky
Sometimes, with both my iLiads, to plug the USB cable while the device is ON works better than to connect the reader while OFF and turn it ON afterward.

In another occasion, I restored a dead Nokia connection with an anti-oxidant spray...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Whether it's really the point will depend on his true intention. If he just wants to transfer files from PC to iLiad, then it should be the point.
It's much more troublesome to connect iLiad with PC than using memory card. Most of the time, what causes iLiad failing to connect to PC is not iLiad's problem. But to cope with it will take much time. When there is a short and safe way, why take a long and bumpy route?
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would certainly want to know whether or not my iLiad were faulty because, for example, that would severely impact its resale value.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
ericshliao
Guru

That's your intention, not his. I won't presume his real intention, so I asked before giving suggestion. Besides, even if he does want to confirm USB connection function is working, I think that a faulty cable is the least possible cause.

Last edited by ericshliao; 01-30-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
snickp
snickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersnickp can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: pr505
Sorry to do this on a first post, but this has really prompted me to write, if we buy equipment we should expect it to work as intended, with the cable enabling connection to the PC. We should not have to rely on a SD card workaround because the way it is supposed to work is buggy or completely inoperative. These are fairly expensive consumer items, and as such I expect them to work, at the very least they should work when you get them out of the box for the first time.

Sorry to make this sound like a rant, but we get trodden on a lot by software and hardware companies producing substandard equipment, which people are too willing to forgive because they can find a way to make it work.

I bet no-one speaks to me now because of this.. :-(
snickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Besides, even if he does want to confirm USB connection function is working, I think that a faulty cable is the least possible cause.
I've had a fair number of faulty cables over the years - that's the reason I raised it as a possibility.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickp View Post
Sorry to do this on a first post, but this has really prompted me to write, if we buy equipment we should expect it to work as intended, with the cable enabling connection to the PC. We should not have to rely on a SD card workaround because the way it is supposed to work is buggy or completely inoperative. These are fairly expensive consumer items, and as such I expect them to work, at the very least they should work when you get them out of the box for the first time.

Sorry to make this sound like a rant, but we get trodden on a lot by software and hardware companies producing substandard equipment, which people are too willing to forgive because they can find a way to make it work.

I bet no-one speaks to me now because of this.. :-(
No, there are quite a few people here who agree with you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
In order to get the iLiad to connect to your PC, you first need to turn the iLiad on and then make sure it's in the Content Lister screen (not an open document). Then connect the USB cable between your iLiad and PC.

Most of the time someone can't get the iLiad to connect is because they're doing it wrong. Either connecting it before turning it on, or connecting it while they're on a document page.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
.. connecting it while they're on a document page.
Exactly. This had me wondering for quite a while, too. Simply press the Up (or Books or News or...) button when in a document and then the connection screen will magically appear (if there is no other problem with the connectivity, that is, of course... )

Cheers,
- Don [:-]
DonRobodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
dicky.woollard
dicky.woollard began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad reader edition
Wow - glad to have generated some interest in this problem - thanks to you all

So who want to get the update?

1. I think that I am entitled to get a piece of gear that works out of the box, so long as I follow the instructions and don't fiddle with it in an un authorised manner. My 2 (yes two) iLiad's did not work as instructed (i.e. plugged in correctly, on the Device manager page, and fully juiced up etc.). Incidentally the work around sugested is not entirely satisfactory as the books cannot be moved from one file to another (i.e. from a USB stick to the internal memory) and the USB stick shortens battery life even more.

2. The cables are not the problem. I have, now, 3 sets of cables, and none work with any of the iLiads on any PC, laptop or Mac that I have tried with the iLiads. On top of this the connectivity works when the ethernet is plugged into the router direct. It's the USB in the ILiad that is the problem

3. I returned iLiad no 1 (the reader one) to iRex and it took them a week or more to tell me my diagnosis (above) was correct. THey admitted that the mother board was the issue.

4. THey didn't have any spare mother boards in stock - I find that a bit lame to be honest. Or was it that none of the ones they had on the shelf worked either?

5. They then agreed that the 2nd unti (the 2nd Edition) probably had the same issue as this one was able to connect to the IDS with wireless and wired, but not USB. SO I have been deprived of the use of this one as well. It now has to be returned to Holland for repairs.

6. They have finally repaired the Reader version and it is on its way back to me with UPS, with a label so that the 2nd Edition one can be sent to them.

7. Why don't they test these things before sending them out? I ordered my 1st unit on 20th November. I still have not had satisfaction for the money they took off me then. THat's a lot of money for sweet fanny adam.

I think that the screen and the grey scale depth are un beaten -and - since I value my eyes I am willing to pay extra to get the best reader on the market - HOWEVER - I feel I should be entitled to get what I pay for and not to have to go back and forth with the suppliers trying to get them to make my gear work properly. I have spent hours trying to sort this out. iRex have been slow to respond. They have not apol;ogised for my trouble. They have tried to BLAME me for issues that have arisien because they did not read my messages to them. THey have offered no compensation for my trouble.

Woudl I recommend an iLiad - Not if it comes from iRex.

Be Warned
dicky.woollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
rihards
rihards began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
I am totally disappointed with my new iLiad book edition! I bought it before Cristmas and now it is dead! When switched on it shows initial screen fills in the white progress bar and stops with green power led on! That is all! After Reset the same! Beside that there is no normal mini USB connector, instead proprietary socket with ugly box which I have to carry along just to be able to recharge this crippled slate! Taking in account its short battery life it is almost not usable! I deply regret my decision to by this device! I wish I had red this newsgroup before!
rihards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rihards View Post
I am totally disappointed with my new iLiad book edition! I bought it before Cristmas and now it is dead! When switched on it shows initial screen fills in the white progress bar and stops with green power led on! That is all! After Reset the same!
That's obviously not normal. Open a ticket with them on their tech support site. They should repair the device for free since it's still under warranty.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote