Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
eriel_ramos
eriel_ramos began at the beginning.

Device: Android FBreader
An old hand looking to standardize on RTF...

While I've only just bought my first dedicated eReader (Sony 505), I've been reading digitally from the original Palm Pilot in 1997 up to the Treo 755.

I've got a humongous library of ebooks in multiple formats, mostly TXT, PDF, DOC and RTF.

With the capabilities of the PRS505, my objective is to find a reasonable way to convert all my files to RTF.This would give me long-term viability, text formatting freedom, and inclusion of graphics.

Glad to find a community of digital readers to exchange ideas and books with.
eriel_ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Have you tried Calibre (free SW converter/reader)? I'm not the expert but I believe you can convert all those formats to Epub and Calibre will do a batch convert.

Not exactly what you're looking for but may suffice. There is also a relatively new program being worked by one of MR's members called Sigil. It's an Epub editor and is already pretty good. This may be of interest to you.

Amber makes some pretty good converters you might find interesting, some are free.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello eriel_ramos, and Click image for larger version

Name:	metal-welcome.gif
Views:	244
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	33999 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Unfortunately, RTF doesn't handle graphics in the Sony implementation. Cybook and the Kindle don't handle it at all. That's why the EPUB recommendation. The Hanlin readers (BEBook, Astak, and others) do handle rtf with pictures and the OpenInkPot open-source software also does (but it only runs under Hanlin machines currently.)

I like RTF. It's the easiest format to fix typo's with. But the hardware world is focused on tightly proprietary formats, nowadays....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I use RTF quite often on my device but for stories with images I do save the RTF as HTML and convert to LRF.

one thing I noticed about RTF is that the font sizes are very small on the reader so in order to not have to magnify every story I read I just increase the font size to 20.

But I think 18 would work too.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi eriel_ramos and welcome to MobileRead. I used to read on an iPaq but am now hooked on eInk and the Sony
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I too found RTF very small on the Sony. Kovid suggested saving RTF as HTML before bringing into Calibre, and it works for me. If I do need plain text again, I can just open the file in a web browser and copy/paste the text into a Word document.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, eriel_ramos!

Along with your own reading material, MR has a great selection of free ebooks in both the lrf and epub format. Enjoy.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
eriel_ramos
eriel_ramos began at the beginning.

Device: Android FBreader
I could not have imaged having such a quick and helpful set of responses, folks! Thanks for making a body feel welcome...
eriel_ramos is offline   Reply With Quote