Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #1111
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I've just bought it.
I will have it tomorrow evening.
I'll post first impressions in about 30 hours.
I'm really curious about Android 4.0.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #1112
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
I have been finding that i am reading a lot lot less nowadays, in spite having a few Readers lying around. Not fault of the Readers, but of the reader!!

During this time, i noticed an amazing thing, my ipad has the most resilient battery life, while on standby..and closely followed if not overtaken by my Touchpad.

I can pull both these out of sleep and they have almost the same battery % after a week to 10days. The longevity of the Touchpad still amazes me.

Playbook seems a third losing about 5% each day.
The Streak on full battery lasts about 7-10days before going down. But my old Archos5IT in deep sleep mode seems quite strong too (dont remember its lifetime).

The Adam is definitely the poorest, lasting just a day or 2. I doubt even ICS can cure the disease.
All these with wifi/3g turned off and most apps killed.

I noticed these as i find myself turning the readers on for occasional use and seeing them either with too less charge or in a useable state!
You have a device listed "I*". Never heard of that?! Did I miss something great?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #1113
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You have a device listed "I*". Never heard of that?! Did I miss something great?
Those are just the iphone and 3 gens of itouches.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #1114
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Quote:
Those are just the iphone and 3 gens of itouches.
Shouldn't it be 'i*'?
All those iGadgets start with lowercase 'i'.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #1115
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I have been finding that i am reading a lot lot less nowadays, in spite having a few Readers lying around. Not fault of the Readers, but of the reader!!

During this time, i noticed an amazing thing, my ipad has the most resilient battery life, while on standby..and closely followed if not overtaken by my Touchpad.

I can pull both these out of sleep and they have almost the same battery % after a week to 10days. The longevity of the Touchpad still amazes me.

Playbook seems a third losing about 5% each day.
The Streak on full battery lasts about 7-10days before going down. But my old Archos5IT in deep sleep mode seems quite strong too (dont remember its lifetime).

The Adam is definitely the poorest, lasting just a day or 2. I doubt even ICS can cure the disease.
All these with wifi/3g turned off and most apps killed.

I noticed these as i find myself turning the readers on for occasional use and seeing them either with too less charge or in a useable state!
I wouldn't even know how long my Flyer would last... I'm using it too much! Doubt I could do without it for even 2 days straight. I mean, how am I going to read in bed?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Shouldn't it be 'i*'?
All those iGadgets start with lowercase 'i'.
That's because people who buy them don't know how to spell
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #1116
mgmueller
Member Retired

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Brief summary:
I'll resell it, after only 3 hours of playing around.
Android 4.0 is nice enough. Not much differences to 3.0, but it will bring smartphones and tablets together.
Galaxy Nexus performs well enough and certainly is one of the better smartphones. But it doesn't have any outstanding features.
I clearly prefer Galaxy Note.
Obviously smartphones aren't my kind of game...
Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #1117
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Brief summary:
I'll resell it, after only 3 hours of playing around.
Android 4.0 is nice enough. Not much differences to 3.0, but it will bring smartphones and tablets together.
Galaxy Nexus performs well enough and certainly is one of the better smartphones. But it doesn't have any outstanding features.
I clearly prefer Galaxy Note.
Obviously smartphones aren't my kind of game...
What are the most notable difference between 4.0 and 3.0?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #1118
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
What are the most notable difference between 4.0 and 3.0?
There are lots of changes to the settings.
For example, there's a more detailed susetting for data consumption.

There's the facial recognition, mentioned in lots of reviews.
Working well, but I didn't test with a photo of myself for example.

The home screen has changed.
Until now, a long press on the home screen did activate a context menu, to add widgets for example.
Now it's all integrated into a single app:
Apps, widgets, market. You flick through the screens with your apps, then you enter the screen(s) with your widgets. Or you directly press "widgets" on top of the screen.

There's a smooth animation on the home screen.
If you've got more than 1 screen with apps, the 2nd one seems to zoom in from the background.

There's a huge developer's section in the settings:
USB debugging, stay awake, desktop backup password, strict mode enabled, pointer location, show touches, .....

Some additional live wallpapers.

What I don't like:
The context menu within the apps is sometimes on the bottom and sometimes on the top of the screen. So far, I don't see any logic behind that.

So far, the changes to 3.0 mainly seem to be of "cosmetical" nature.
There's no significant difference.
But of course it will be great, having the try same OS on all your Android units, instead of 2.x on your smartphones and 3.x on your tablets.

The interfaces of some stock apps slightly have changed, for example in the browser.

You have NFC and Android Beam now.

In general, 4.0 seems a bit more polished than 3.x. But on it's own, without bringing smartphones and tablets together, I don't think the changes would make up for a whole new revision (3 --> 4).

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-30-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #1119
mgmueller
Member Retired

Android 4.0 - Facial recognition

Just tested with my iPhone4 camera:
I can trick the facial recognition on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
I'm not prominent enough that thiefs typically will have my picture with them. Still surprisingly weak protection.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #1120
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Actually, the facial recognition is not considered as sufficient and is more a gimmick than a security feature.

I agree that for smartphones the transition between 2.x to ICS is much larger than for tables 3.x to ICS.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #1121
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Does 4.0 support Cisco AnyConnect VPN access with group passwords yet?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #1122
mehdivinci
mehdivinci began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Every One!
I want to buy a reader for my studies!
and because almost all my files are PDFs (of course scanned book and..) I want a large ereader!
I research a lot , and I came to Onyx Boox m92!
I found this device as the best ebook reader right now!
but I want your idea about that!
what do you think is the best?
buy M92?
waite for more new devise , like jetbook color?
enyone have eny news about that??
OR
I completely forgot large ebook reader and get an Ipad2??
Please help me!
thanks
mehdivinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #1123
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdivinci View Post
Please help me!
thanks
What's your budget?
Do you want to spend $200 or $600?
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #1124
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdivinci View Post
Hi Every One!
I want to buy a reader for my studies!
and because almost all my files are PDFs (of course scanned book and..) I want a large ereader!
I research a lot , and I came to Onyx Boox m92!
I found this device as the best ebook reader right now!
but I want your idea about that!
what do you think is the best?
buy M92?
waite for more new devise , like jetbook color?
enyone have eny news about that??
OR
Please help me!
thanks
I don't know... but that new JetBook color reader looks pretty nice.

Although for $500 I would probably get an iPad. But, I expect the prices to come down on this size/tech reader in the next few years. The original Kindle was $399... now you can buy one (4 years later) for $80.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #1125
ebi985
ebi985 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
some questions

thank you for the very informative review.
i have some questions if you kindly take time to answer:

1. since i have to read many articles from jstor i need to know whether it is possible to read footnotes in sony e-reader (T1) or not?
2. i need to know whether you can copy texts from a pdf/epub file and paste it somewhere (i would like to save myself from writing note cards for my research) or I have to type the text in another application (e.g. word)?
3. how compatible is the e-reader with pdf files regarding navigation, font size, page orientation, and readingin landscape mode?

i really appreciate your kindness for reading my questions and sharing the info or advising me on modifying my choice (with special regard to the available budget of $170)
thanks in advance
ebi985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test