Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite and Nook Glow Comparison

Hadn't seen this published here yet so.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLtTKy56X0 It's by Goodereader
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Very interesting, thank you for the link. I'm surprised at how much brighter the light is on the Kobo Glo. I can also see color blobs galore on the PW. The Kobo Glo looks pretty nice, I have to say. The Nook looks pretty dark and the light very uneven, at least going by this video.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the link. I always enjoy these kinds of comparison
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Why didn't they reduce the light on the kobo to about same level as the kindle? It's like putting a tv in torch mode and say it doesn't look so good. Well, duh!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
They had a number of things wrong in what they say about the Kobo in that video. They did do a 2nd one where they turn the Kobo down to a more appropriate level and correct a few of the points they messed up.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Is the light of the kobo really that blue in real life ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I noticed another side-by-side of the Kobo Glo and the iPad, in which it became very clear that the supposed 'blueness' of the Glo has nothing on the blue blueittyblueness of the iPad. The research on melatonin suppression was done with LCD tablets cranked to full brightness for a couple of hours. I have a feeling our collective concern over slight shades of blueness in low-light frontlit displays is probably overblown.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's slightly blue, not as blue as some would like to say, its more of a tinge than a real color. But I don't see how it makes the text any less clear. When I read a paper book I turn on my room light which is yellow and not white and I can read without any problems.

Quote:
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Not realy.
Its the third time they review the Glo with that distinct bluish screen.How they achieve it I really can't tell(maybe a faulty device?).

Mine has a very slight and barely noticeable bluish hue when I use the light in max setting(and then I don't read, I use it as a makeshift torchlight).
When you use it in more normal setting the screen is almost perfectly white(at least in my device).
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I noticed another side-by-side of the Kobo Glo and the iPad, in which it became very clear that the supposed 'blueness' of the Glo has nothing on the blue blueittyblueness of the iPad. The research on melatonin suppression was done with LCD tablets cranked to full brightness for a couple of hours. I have a feeling our collective concern over slight shades of blueness in low-light frontlit displays is probably overblown.
I am asking because I am migranes prone, of the epileptic sort, so bluish lights are a big no-go for me. But the ipad is fine for me, so if it is the same kind of blue (unnoticeable for me on the ipad) I am fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
It's slightly blue, not as blue as some would like to say, its more of a tinge than a real color. But I don't see how it makes the text any less clear. When I read a paper book I turn on my room light which is yellow and not white and I can read without any problems.
I was not talking at all about the clearness of the text...where did you get the impression I was questionning it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhtsos View Post
Not realy.
Its the third time they review the Glo with that distinct bluish screen.How they achieve it I really can't tell(maybe a faulty device?).

Mine has a very slight and barely noticeable bluish hue when I use the light in max setting(and then I don't read, I use it as a makeshift torchlight).
When you use it in more normal setting the screen is almost perfectly white(at least in my device).
Thanks for the info, so it's worth a try then. I own a PW that is very good, and have another one on back order but I wanted to try (again) a kobo so maybe I'll cancel the PW order and buy a kobo glo instead.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Facinating, I wonder if Barnes and Noble will update their technology anytime soon to compete with the better Paperwhite. I had thought they would have by now if they wanted it ready for the Holiday season. So maybe they are not updating it yet.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote