Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
romlan39
romlan39 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Man Eating Duck made a very good start with epub.annot. I hope that Sony will, at least, bring possiblity to remove annotation from the Reader.
romlan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@MED: The element pointers probably refer to block level elements (usually <p>, <div>, but potentially any element that has css display set to block).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
wonderose
Enthusiast
wonderose began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablets
Is there anything new in this respect?

As for my Sony PRS-650, it still does export the notes and highlighted passages in a seperate XML file via the Reader library.

Is there still any possibility to export not only the highlighted parts but the whole text, i.e. a pdf-file, with all the highlights and all the notes?

Who should one prod into doing this? The team of calibre? The one of prs+? Sony itself? Or anyone else?

Perhaps it has already been done... as for the Kindle ...
Calibre + Kindle: Fetching User Annotations
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=1

But to be honest, I would be extremely glad if calibre could come around (as announced for the forthcoming future, but helas not promised) to add to one of its next versions a possiblity to export the notes and the highlighted parts of the text. That would really facilitate things!
There would surely be many grateful users ....

Last edited by wonderose; 04-26-2011 at 12:10 AM.
wonderose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #19
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I am interested in this as well. I gotta read a few books for college and would love to be able to export in pdf the notes to attach them to Evernote. Would make research LOTS easier!
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderose View Post
Is there anything new in this respect?

As for my Sony PRS-650, it still does export the notes and highlighted passages in a seperate XML file via the Reader library.

Is there still any possibility to export not only the highlighted parts but the whole text, i.e. a pdf-file, with all the highlights and all the notes?

Who should one prod into doing this? The team of calibre? The one of prs+? Sony itself? Or anyone else?

Perhaps it has already been done... as for the Kindle ...
Calibre + Kindle: Fetching User Annotations
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=1

But to be honest, I would be extremely glad if calibre could come around (as announced for the forthcoming future, but helas not promised) to add to one of its next versions a possiblity to export the notes and the highlighted parts of the text. That would really facilitate things!
There would surely be many grateful users ....
Kovid Goyal has stated in another thread that he'd prefer this effort to be part of a general framework for annotations, not a one-off like the Kindle functionality. Annotations could then be stored in the library, be transferred between devices, be edited in the Calibre viewer and so on. This is not trivial, as you must support all different kinds of annotations (scribbles, highlights, free text notes), and every device seems to do this in a different way . You should also implement a flexible and general way to store them in the library, complete with a programming interface to manipulate them. I have a prs-650 myself, and the annotation functionality for that device would have to dive into the ebook file itself to be able to extract the full text.

I'd very much like this functionality as well, but I would need significant assistance from a senior Calibre developer or someone else with design and implementation experience to pull this off (I'm not a programmer, barely a tinkerer). As of now I wouldn't even know where to begin.

As for who you should prod: No one. Every developer in the project is a volunteer, they are already extremely generous with their time and efforts, they are already aware that several users want this, and frankly they owe us nothing

That said, and I'm not speaking for the devs here, but what might be an idea is to ask them what a reasonable funding goal in for instance a Kickstarter project might be in order to provide an incentive. Note that any realistic goal would likely be far less than the real worth of the time and effort they would have to put in.

Like I said, I would provide assistance in any way I can, but I'm simply not good enough to even be of nominal help in such a sub-project.

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-08-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import/export notes, sony reader