Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #76
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Last I heard, the Sony Reader was due to be launched in Spain and Portugal in October, so I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more about it then.
Hm, do you have a source for that?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #77
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Yes, that is the meaning of "proprietary", but although PDF was originally created and owned by Adobe, they handed "ownership" of it to the International Standard Organisation (ISO) a couple of years ago, and it is now an open standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
What you looked up is quite correct. PDF *WAS* a proprietory and *DID* belong to Adobe. But once something is standardized by the ISO it doesn't belong to one single company anymore in the sense that that company can change/withdraw/etc. that format on a whim.
THX HarryT and Snuffi for enlightenment on this. Seems I'd better looked up PDF as well - good to fresh up your knowledge from time to time...

*sigh* When you've been there from the early days on, you sometimes feel SOOOOO old...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #78
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
I really don't agree with you, I'm afraid. The iPod domination of the MP3 market has not killed off the other players in the market; alternate MP3 players proliferate - some because they are much cheaper than Apple; others, because they offer different features. I think the same will be true in the eBook Reader market.

Well said Harry. There are other companies besides APPLE in the mp3/ipod market.

I have a Cowon mp3 player that offers many more formats for listening than an ipod and I can drag and drop without the use of any media player. So, yes there are alternatives to Apple.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 AM   #79
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Last I heard, the Sony Reader was due to be launched in Spain and Portugal in October, so I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more about it then.
I read a small notice some time ago and nothing else.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:51 AM   #80
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Well said Harry. There are other companies besides APPLE in the mp3/ipod market.

I have a Cowon mp3 player that offers many more formats for listening than an ipod and I can drag and drop without the use of any media player. So, yes there are alternatives to Apple.
Yeap.
No drag and drop is the reason i will never get an iPod. Had my share of anoyances with the sony about that. Never again. I now use that nifty "rsync" command (yeah linux !).

I'm using a samsung P3. Better sound quality than iPod, better video support (Not having to re-encode makes video actually useful).
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #81
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
And even if it was, I don't want to put my reader down, take my phone, use the dictionary, put my phone back again and pick up my reader again. It's just too cumbersome.
It is a bit more cumbersome but it takes approximately the same time as to look the word up using the Cybook. And the look up process is not so boring as the one in the Cybook.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #82
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is a bit more cumbersome but it takes approximately the same time as to look the word up using the Cybook. And the look up process is not so boring as the one in the Cybook.
Yes, but you need two more arms if you want to lookup something - while standing in a bus, for example.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #83
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So, you wait until you sit down and then look it up. How often are you faced with a "I must know what that word means NOW" situation? .

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a dictionary on my Opus. However, having now used it for a while I've come to the conclusion that I'd far prefer ePub support and a separate dictionary, to Mobi with a dictionary. The benefits of ePub are compelling.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-31-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #84
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
So, you wait until you sit down and then look it up. How often are you faced with a "I must know what that word means NOW" situation? .
When it comes to the words I cannot guess from context it's yes, right now. And I had such case today. I admit it's not every time that urgent but that's why I bought Cybook - dictionary is what sold it for me.

And besides, I would have to carry my Palm with me always and its additional weight in my already loaded bag is not welcome...

DrS

Last edited by Vesper; 08-31-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-31-2009, 02:43 PM   #85
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
How often do you read books in other languages? Me, I very seldom read german books (which is my mother tongue). But if I do, I have no need for a dictionary! With other languages, it depends on how fluent I am and if I kinda "know" that author and his style.

BTW: If I need /want to look up a word, it's always a NOW situation for me!

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a dictionary on my Opus. However, having now used it for a while I've come to the conclusion that I'd far prefer ePub support and a separate dictionary, to Mobi with a dictionary. The benefits of ePub are compelling.
OK, please tell us about those benefits...

Don't get me wrong, I see the possibilities/advantages of ePub and that it is assured of a good future. And Sony has improved that with his built-in dictionary support for the new reader(s). But right now and on the Opus... what am I missing?

Last edited by gerraldo; 08-31-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #86
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
You know, i went to the fnac, see if the opus was there. I saw a guy looking at the psr-505 on display. One of the question he asked was "Can we use dictionary ?"

And there problem. Mobi supports dictionary, but ePub is the format the e-book he is interested in (ie in French or German), will be published.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #87
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
You know, i went to the fnac, see if the opus was there. I saw a guy looking at the psr-505 on display. One of the question he asked was "Can we use dictionary ?"

And there problem. Mobi supports dictionary, but ePub is the format the e-book he is interested in (ie in French or German), will be published.
Welcome to the tower of eBabel... remodeled. Just added another floor and some nice trimmings.

DrS

p.s. Yes, yes... ePub is a new standard etc. But, no dictionary? Please...
Old 08-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #88
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
p.s. Yes, yes... ePub is a new standard etc. But, no dictionary? Please...
Yep, this is a BIG step backwards... But the new Sony reader has a built-in dictionary function to overcome this lack!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #89
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
BTW: If I need /want to look up a word, it's always a NOW situation for me!
But if you need to lookup a lot of words in a book it would be better to be able to mark a word for lookup later and when you have finished the chapter you check each word to see that you did not misunderstood anything.

This would be an extremely good functionality to have. And the words you lookup should be saved so you can read through them to make sure you have not forgotten the meaning.

It will be fun to implement these kind of things on the txtr reader...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #90
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But if you need to lookup a lot of words in a book it would be better to be able to mark a word for lookup later and when you have finished the chapter you check each word to see that you did not misunderstood anything.

This would be an extremely good functionality to have. And the words you lookup should be saved so you can read through them to make sure you have not forgotten the meaning.

It will be fun to implement these kind of things on the txtr reader...
Personally, when I need to understand a word, it's when I read it, not at the end of the chapter. I can wait until the end of the phrase/paragraph, but I know for sure that if I had to wait for the end of the chapter, and then search for multiple words, it would break the line/mood of the story...
But I miss the Mobile version of Mobipocket Reader, for its lookup system !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quad-posting, whining