Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I remember Freddie Prinz using that as his gagline in Chico and the Man. That attitude is older than you think!
It may be old, but it is becoming more so every day. I only have to look at my 1 year old house that I am repairing. Everything from plumbing leaks to shoddy wiring; I had outlets not grounded, pvc landscape pipes not glued, paint job on exterior, they missed large areas and gutters that leak. I have repaired most of the items because if they couldn't do it right the first time, the second time is usually worse.

Also I am a fine-art photographer; the quality of photography has dropped considerably in the past 10 years. New photographers don't seem to feel that learning the craft is important. You have to become a craftman first to allow your vision to grow.

A quote by Ansel Adams: There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
It may be old, but it is becoming more so every day. I only have to look at my 1 year old house that I am repairing. Everything from plumbing leaks to shoddy wiring; I had outlets not grounded, pvc landscape pipes not glued, paint job on exterior, they missed large areas and gutters that leak. I have repaired most of the items because if they couldn't do it right the first time, the second time is usually worse.
The house my family bought, built roughly 1960 in what was at the time one of the richest counties in the U.S., had most of these problems, and a few besides. The "in my day" arguments really don't hold up... people were lazy a decade, a century, and a millennia ago. Moreso now? Judging from my experiences, I wouldn't say so.

Anyway, accusations of laziness aren't dealing with the problem, that is, assigning responsibility to the proper organizations to do their due diligence. The best way to do that is to make it clear you will not buy from them unless they do their jobs properly. That means boycotting publishers, not Sony or Amazon.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #18
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I complained to Ballantine about some issues I had with an ebook I purchased from them and received a rather snotty e-mail in return saying essentially, "It's not our fault, we outsource ebooks and it's their fault." But--don't you pay them to do it? Can't you pass on the complaint to them? Aren't you upset that this contractor is messing up your house's good name? Apparently not. I don't understand that attitude at all.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I complained to Ballantine about some issues I had with an ebook I purchased from them and received a rather snotty e-mail in return saying essentially, "It's not our fault, we outsource ebooks and it's their fault." But--don't you pay them to do it? Can't you pass on the complaint to them? Aren't you upset that this contractor is messing up your house's good name? Apparently not. I don't understand that attitude at all.
Yes, Ballantine should pass on the complaint, and/or find another outsourcer. But the only thing that will give them incentive to do that is for customers like you to make it clear that you won't be buying any more of their product until they straighten it out.

And tell them that includes printed books... that will probably get their attention faster.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
cjracer
cjracer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question What happened to the amazon kindle discussion forum?

I am sure I was still reading Amazon's discussion forum for the Kindle in the last week ? Does anyone know what happened to it ? On another note about the Kindle, I just ordered the Kindle 2 --have had the first Kindle for about a year-- I read that the Kindle 2 is being supplied by an expanded whispernet...but it does not apply to the Kindle 1. Why wouldn't it be available for the Kindle 1...I have never had great luck with the whispernet for my Kindle 1....if I wanted to use Whispernet I couldn't get reception for it from my home and many other places. So why not let the Kindle 1 users have the expanded coverage. ? Anyone know about these 2 issues?
cjracer@intnet.net
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
reddwarf
reddwarf began at the beginning.

I agree with Steve Jordan's post when he said that "They're just the retailers... that's not their job"! I believe that it is the publisher or editor job if it is a paper.
reddwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #22
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Why wouldn't it be available for the Kindle 1...I have never had great luck with the whispernet for my Kindle 1....if I wanted to use Whispernet I couldn't get reception for it from my home and many other places. So why not let the Kindle 1 users have the expanded coverage. ? Anyone know about these 2 issues?
cjracer@intnet.net
This is just a guess, but it might have to do with EVDO (Sprint’s Broadband data service) Revision A or RevA. To receive RevA requires hardware and firmware that supports it. If Kindle1 doesn't have a RevA radio, it can't receive RevA.

That's not really a big deal though, RevA is a little faster than Rev0, but not significantly so, and the coverage is the same.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:50 AM   #23
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
true, but wouldn't it be great if someone could zoom through the books once to get rid of the glaring errors like two words run together or completely wrong punctuation?
One reason why PG have 3 proof-reading rounds at picking up errors. Even then some get passed the 3rd check, despite due care and attention ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:24 AM   #24
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Well, people intruduced the 9 99 boycot tag to complain about the expensive books so why not a crappy formatting tag
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote