Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
sajje
sajje began at the beginning.

Device: noen
PSR-600 owners, would you change it for a 300?

Hello

im planing to buy a sony reader but cant figure out which one to take. now it seems like i go for the 600 touch edition but im not sure

i read alot of threads here on the forum but still i cant make up my mind

why the 600:
Touch screen
Dictionary
memory slot
bigger display
faster

why the 300
Better display
cheaper (about $100)
smaller device

the reason i want one is to read books from Swedish libraries and then the display is the most important part of the device. so its hard to decide to go for the smaller but better (300) or bigger display(600)

so my question is this to 600 owners:
After having your device for a couple of weeks have you compared it to the 300 and regret that you bought the 600 instead of 300?

please tell me why i should take the 600 instead of the 300
sajje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
No way that I trade a 600 for a 300. Reading is good on PRS-600. There may be more glare/reflection, but this is not really a problem, juste move you reader a few degrees and it is gone. The other day I was reading a paper book with nice white shiny paper. There was a reflection on it making it unreadable. Though none never complain about glares on paper books...

The 600 has better size, and the zoom/reflow/touch features are unique (even if they could be improved).
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
stevegolf
stevegolf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
As I've mentioned before in this forum, I swaped my PRS 600 for a 300. Reasons : better display, don't need MP3 or pictures to read a book, the 300 is truly good and good only for reading book with a much better display as far as I am concerned. I figured that a year from now we will probably have a new PRS 1000 (if ever) with a better display and touch screen. I must admit I do miss the dictionary on the 300. Ebook readears are fantastic but give them so time to come up with even better products in the coming years. Just like a remember buying my first Palm Vx handle 10 years ago. Look what we have now for handles ?
stevegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
sajje
sajje began at the beginning.

Device: noen
want one now

Thanks for replies, hope for more comments

ofcource i can wait for newer model, but then if just wait a littlebit more there would be even better..

if i think like this i guess i will never get one :O

i want one now and after comparing alot of models it seems like Sony Reader 600 and 300 is the best on the market
sajje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I've never seen a 300 in action but I definitely wouldn't swap for my 600 - no way.

As it is my main reading device now, I wouldn't be happy to swap for a smaller screen particularly as I'm quite a fast reader.

The dictionary function on the 600 is one I use several times, daily - especially when reading older or classic books. Very useful indeed.

I'll admit I don't use the note-taking function much but it has come in handy a few times when I've had to remember things and have nothing else to hand.

There are many arguments that the quality/readability of the screen on the 300 is better. That may be so but I don't have an issue reading off the 600.

I guess the best thing if you can is to go to your local sony store and compare the two.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dictionary and annotation are the "killer" features of the PRS-600 for me.

If you want a 5" device, there are much better ones available than the PRS-300 (IMHO).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
I love my 600. Yes, the glare can sometimes be an issue, but as has been said by many, if you tilt the device, it goes away. And, after you get lost in a book, you don't notice anymore.

I think glare and $100 are the main issues at stake. It seems that 600 owners who are also first time eInk reader owners (myself included) seem to think glare isn't that bad. Current eInk reader owners (505 owners in particular, it seems ) gather their pitchforks and start a riot about how bad it is. So, it seems ignorance is bliss on this front.

The $100 buys you some extra features, and that is what you need to keep in mind. Are you just going to read ebooks? The 300 should be fine. Are you going to read graphical PDF files where you'd want to zoom in? Does the extra screen size make a difference? Do you want to annotate what you're reading? Then you'll need to pony up for the 600. Basically, if you're just using the reader for leisure, the 300 should be enough. If you're planning on using it for "professional" purposes (as a student or someone who is reading documents for a job and wants to mark them up), then the 600 is better.

If you are interested in the reader just to read books, and you are willing to spend up to $300, I would seriously wait and consider the nook. I was all fired up, but when I found out it couldn't do some of the things with PDFs that I needed it to, and I realized how useful annotations could be with a touch screen, I went with the 600. But the nook has a perfectly clear screen, easy and fast navigation with the capacitive screen on the bottom, and a dictionary (that the 300 lacks). If I was buying a reader just to read books (and not technical PDFs), I would have gone with the nook and never looked back.

That said, I love my 600 and have no regrets.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
terekkincaid
Connoisseur

Oh, and I forgot the mention, the card slot is convenient if I just want to throw something on right quick without having to pull out the usb cable and plug in your reader. I can load the morning paper on a card on my way out of the house and not have to dig everything out of my bag.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
If you are interested in the reader just to read books, and you are willing to spend up to $300, I would seriously wait and consider the nook.
Don't you think it's a little pointless to advise someone in Sweden to buy a machine that's only sold in the USA?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
terekkincaid
Connoisseur

Hehe, good point. But, for anyone Googling to get here, I think it's still sound advice
Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
erio
erio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I agree with the ones who wouldn't change their 600 for the 300, and i add something really important...

in the PRS-600 you can play tic-tac-toe and other similar games... lol

nah, i'm just kidding, but the touch screen and being able to write or draw is the best part for me... i also like the dicctionary, but i'm sure somebody will install it in the PRS-300 eventually, so its not a big PRO... =]

long story short, i would go definitelly for the PRS-600 time after time...
erio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
I've had my 600 for about 3 weeks now, and no i wouldn't consider swapping it for the 300, though to be fair the big thing for me is the size of screen (6 inch gets enough print on it it feel like a paper back book)

I also own a Cybook Gen 3 and to be honest the first time i got the 600 out of its box and switched it on I was disappointed with the screen. (it looked so much better in waterstones) but is just a matter of angle and the screen is just a good.

I have not regrets at all
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
donald1
Enthusiast
donald1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have my reader for two weeks and really like using it.
Switching to the 300 (smaller screen size but a little clearer screen) is not preferred. Once you are used to the PRS-600, it's a nice reader.
donald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I only recently got to see the 300 in passing.I would personally go back to a 505 rather than a 300.For me,its just too small a size,but that's a personal preference based on what I'm used to (505 700 and now 600)...but I also remember reading on my palm pilots as well...I could do it,choose not to do it.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
Star56
Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle, Sony Psr-300, Sony Psr-505
The 300 has more text per page than the Kindle ( both using the next-to-the-smallest text size) and is far easier to read than the Kindle. Side by side with the 600 the 300 wins in screen quality and readability.
Star56 is offline   Reply With Quote