Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
MP3 problems

I got a new, fully uppdated Pixelar e-reader but it just won't play the mp3 files i*ve loaded on to it. I tried both MP3s that I converted from WAV as well as MP3s that I'd bought from Itunes. I recognoses that they are music files and and it shoews all the information but when I try to play all I get is the message "invalid mp3 component". I've tried contacting support but I haven't gotten an answer yet. Any ideas?
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I got a new, fully uppdated Pixelar e-reader but it just won't play the mp3 files i*ve loaded on to it. I tried both MP3s that I converted from WAV as well as MP3s that I'd bought from Itunes. I recognoses that they are music files and and it shoews all the information but when I try to play all I get is the message "invalid mp3 component". I've tried contacting support but I haven't gotten an answer yet. Any ideas?
I do not know definitely, but it *may* be something as simple as being recorded in variable bit rate, or too high a bit rate for the reader to use.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Jokoto
Jokoto began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Mini
There is no excuse for any player to not play VBR MP3 files. Constant bitrate MP3s are just a special case, where each frame just happens to have the same size (thus wasting space if it's forcefully so). I suppose some early, very cheap MP3 chip(s) just did the dumb thing and looked at the size of the very first frame only, irresponsibly ignoring the rest and filling the market with barely functional mp3 players. It is easier to calculate the length of the track if it is CBR but that's just awfully lazy!

I just now tested my Bebook Mini's support (Hanlin V5). I gave it a VBR MP3 file and it plays, even though it has some extra APE tags (in addition to the usual ID3v1 and v2 tags) in it from replay gain operations (made with MP3Gain, recommended to get your mp3 collection "replay gained" properly). It didn't quite calculate the track length properly, but at least it didn't reject it outright.

Have you tried encoding the mp3 files with LAME?

http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bu...p#lame-current

Get the current (not the alpha build) and see how that fares. It's a command-line tool, but a good GUI front-end allows you to tell it to use LAME.

Alternatively, try foobar2000 if you don't feel comfortable using the command prompt. It's much faster to quickly try it out like this though - no installing or configuring required.

Just extract the zip archive somewhere, put a test wav file in the same directory and say "lame test.wav test.mp3 --preset medium" on the command line and you get a VBR mp3, in this case "test.mp3". Leave out the --preset medium to get a 128 kbps CBR file and test that too (give it a different name though).

If neither of those plays, there must be something seriously wrong with the player. If only one plays, it's still broken but that's how many mp3 players are... and you should (still) tell them to fix it!
Jokoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
I have a Hanlin V3 too, and I too bought it from Pixelar: it reads variable-bitrate MP3s just fine, so far It seems it reads any mp3 I throw at it; it must be noted, though, that I have replaced pixelar's firmware with Jinke's latest one (but I'm fairly sure that Pixelar's firmware does not differ at all from Jinke's, apart from the start-up and closing logos)
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a go and tell you all how if anything works.
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
I have also just hit this same problem. Some 64 kbit/s mp3 files won't play and crash the reader, and it won't respond to anything except being turned off and on again. I can't see anything unusual in these files, in fact I played one of them just fine about 12 hours before the problem manifested itself.

I have just tried to copy the directory containing them back onto my PC to look at the files. I have just got a "directory corrupted" message. Maybe that's the problem. I'll try deleting the directory and starting again.
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
Ah. I swapped my SD card from a 2Gigabyte FAT16 to a 4Gigabyte FAT32 yesterday. I figure that's what was causing directories to get corrupted. I've swapped back tot the old one now.
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Yeah, that could be the problem: I'm not 100% sure, but I remember that V3 can read only FAT16 SD cards, not FAT32, nor NTFS. So, that could actually cause some problems in certain files.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
owly
Guru

Unfortunatly that's not the problem for me since the card I'm using is the right FAT. haven't tried the other solutions yet.