Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #151
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@yiming: It's actually pretty simple, although there is indeed a twist since the K5.

Let's start with the basics (and what the hack actually relies on):

There's *one* full size cover in the file. It's a simple metadata (exth) field with a pointer to one specific image resource in the mobi. This is what the Kindle shows when you 'Go To > Cover', this is what the hack uses, and this is what Calibre uses if you ask it to use the cover from this file.
Some files may *NOT* have one. Nothing we can do about it. (That's not to say that there won't be a full screen, or nearly full screen image near the beginning of the book, but, technically, it's not the cover. You also sometimes see this (ie. a second cover at the beginning of the book) even in books with a proper 'metadata' cover).

Looking for such 'extra' covers is clearly out of scope in this case (we'd have to unpack every image, identify all of them, and 'guess' which one looks like a good fit for the cover based on its size. That's a job for a human (ie. fix your metadata ^^) .).

Now, since the K5, there's also a twist with the Cover View. The mobi file also bundle a thumbnail, that's flagged in the metadata the exact same way as the cover. AFAIK, both Calibre and KindleGen will make sure that this thumbnail matches the metadata cover. Thing is, the Kindle will only use it for the Cover View in a very specific case:
When there's no ASIN set in the metadata (and, with JBPatch only, when the ASIN is 'invalid' [ie. is not an ASIN, but an UUID]).
When there's a (valid) ASIN set, the Kindle will do a simple HTTP request to Amazon to download it. This thumbnail (downloaded from Amazon) might not actually match the cover in the file (it usually uses the latest cover, if the publisher updated it).

Annnd, that should cover everything. Hope it helps .

TL;DR: The hack *needs* the metadata to be correct. Trying to do guesswork when it isn't is too expensive resource-wise, and out of scope, IMHO .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-11-2012 at 08:50 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #152
DevilCat666
DevilCat666 began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Having got this great screensaver hack working on my PW, I'm keeping my wifi off so I don't get the 5.3 update - I'm assuming the update will clear the hack and I couldn't just re-apply it?
DevilCat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #153
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DevilCat666: it's a bit more complicated than that (it actually wipes everything custom).

For more details and ways to update 'safely', check the Bridge section of the JailBreak first post .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-13-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #154
DevilCat666

Thanks @NiLuJe
Your screensaver hack gives me more of what I want than the 5.3 update, so I'm disabling wifi for now. May try the bridge at the weekend
DevilCat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #155
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
Seriously a huge thanks to you @NiLuJe!

All of your work is awesome and the bridge was easy to install and it worked like a champ when I installed 5.3.

Cheers!
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #156
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
With the bridge applied to a jailbroken 5.2, and then the official 5.3 bin, the screensaver hack will still work? Just want to confirm before I try the steps. Thanks!!
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #157
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Someone was impatient and did it anyway.
On my jailbroken PW running 5.2 I did the following ...
1. Ran the Jailbreak bridge
2. Ran the 5.3 update downloaded from Amazon

and everything is ship-shape -- screensaver hack is STILL intact and all! WOOHOO!!! NiLuJe, you are my hero.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #158
sparrowlight
Zealot

Update. Not all ship-shape. I still see the linkss folder, but my Kindle is using the stock screensavers. Un-installing and re-installing the hack now.

[editing this post rather than being That Girl who keeps posting]

I uninstalled the hack. Still saw the linkss folders when plugged in via USB. Still dropped the screensavers install bin, and successfully installed the hack, seeing the "checking for screensavers" dialog. BAZINGA. Back to custom screens. Whew!

Just wanted to leave this here for others who may have similar confusion.

Last edited by sparrowlight; 11-14-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: more details.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #159
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@sparrowlight: Yep, perfectly normal .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Once that's done, you should be able to reinstall every hack you used (because the official update wiped them).
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #160
Vegastar
Vegastar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
A request/"is it possible" question. Would there be any way to actually apply the "swipe to unlock" to the custom screen savers? I know it kind of defeats the point of the magnetic case that way, but I'm so very fond of both the case and my special screen savers that I'm debating just cutting the magnet out of the case so I can admire them a little before getting on with reading.

Silly, I know.
Vegastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #161
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
Yep all I did is re install my screensaver hack after I applied the new jailbreak over my old one, and then following it up with the 5.3 install...

Everything is working great!!!
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #162
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Vegastar: AFAICT, not easily, no. (I'll look into it, though, it might be possble to inhibit the hall sensor on the software side).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-14-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #163
Mikeu48
Mikeu48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite e-book
Had my Paperwhite all set up and running perfectly with the custom screensavers and guess what? Left my wireless on over night and BLAM....All gone.... 5.3 update got installed overnight.
Looked at the new info here on the Bridge and SURE wish I saw that a few days ago but.....
At this point the 1.7 jailbrake does nothing so I'm stuck. I noticed in the Readme.txt because 5.3 is now on my Paperwhite without the Bridge application, I'm and I quote "screwed"..... Any Idea HOW long I'm gonna be screwed????? lol
Mikeu48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #164
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeu48 View Post
Had my Paperwhite all set up and running perfectly with the custom screensavers and guess what? Left my wireless on over night and BLAM....All gone.... 5.3 update got installed overnight.
Looked at the new info here on the Bridge and SURE wish I saw that a few days ago but.....
At this point the 1.7 jailbrake does nothing so I'm stuck. I noticed in the Readme.txt because 5.3 is now on my Paperwhite without the Bridge application, I'm and I quote "screwed"..... Any Idea HOW long I'm gonna be screwed????? lol
Absolutely no way to predict.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #165
DevilCat666

OK I went for it.
1. installed the bridge
2. installed 5.3 (manually)
3. re-installed python
4. re-installed ss hack

All perfect :-) You're a start @NiLuJe