Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
First visits to Sony store - comparing content to Chapters

No contest. Sony wins hands down for me, and I happen to have this ereader. Perhaps they figure buyers of a $200 device have more education and leisure time, but the quality of books and the selection is vastly superior to Chapters (Canada anyway). And maybe there are privacy or service attractions to Chapters that I don't know about.

Take the differences in various subjects...

1. 17th century - Chapters 30, Sony 260
2. cannabis - 3 versus 166
3. perfume - 11 vs. 166 - Emperor of Scent $11.99 (slightly higher than Chapters)
4. opium - Opium for the Masses $11.86 (slightly lower than Chapters)
5. India - 154 vs. 1893! Frommer's India $17.49 (slightly lower than Chapters)
6. Investment - 141 vs. 2472! Fishers Investments on Emerging markets $20.96 (slightly lower than Chapters)
7. Ethiopia - 4 vs. 90
8. Lonely Planet - sort of 1 vs. 137
9. Hawaiian shirts - 0 vs. 0 (obviously image-rich books are not ebook forte)
10. Orthodox Church - both have just a few ones wholly on this subject

I have eliminated Chapters as a preferred content supplier for myself.

I am too tired to continue this comparison. Of course, this isn't very accurate as a trustworthy comparison would be comparing the same books across the board, and what books I really want are available at provider A but not provider B. But after half an hour I am much more impressed by Sony. And the website is easier to navigate and easier on the eyes (unless online the Chapters one is different than in their stores).
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
I've read your previous post on Chapters and this one on Sony.
Well, for one thing, I have a Sony reader and one of the main advantage (at least for me) is to be able to buy books virtually (yeah good word placement here) everywhere.

that doesn't shock me that you were not able to find everything in one place. I have the same problem with books in a store you know. Sometimes you have to try different places to find your gem. I guess it's the same online except that it's quicker to surf online than to drive or ride the bus.

All that said, it's good you found your books finally.

Oh and this is a bit tacky don't you think ?
Quote:
Perhaps they figure buyers of a $200 device have more education and leisure time[...]
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Wink Umm..............

[QUOTE=Dedale;1559835.
Oh and this is a bit tacky don't you think ?
[/QUOTE]

Unlike some avatars ..... ?

Tee hee.........

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Herrumph.............

P.S.

Sorry, completely unconnected, but I've just noticed I'm an evangelist...........

Oooer................

Thank you ?

I think.................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

No, I don't

"Oh and this is a bit tacky don't you think ?" [comment about Sony's market]

I stand by my original comment that they are different targeted markets. For example, when I observe the content of standard cable TV compared to what is available by subscription, I suggest to you that poor people watch different TV than the wealthy and successful.

It's not a moral judgement, it's a matter of business (advertiser support and fees). Are rich people with Ph.ds who can afford ipads *better* than persons on welfare who never graduated from high school ? Absolutely not. Are they different markets? Absolutely. Actually I am not a high income person, but to pretend that there are no class differences and therefore market differences would be, in my opinion, an illusion.

Personally - I am not even smart. In fact, I am a fool. I enjoy deliberately taunting the powers that be - not wise. I enjoy saying outlandish and provocative things then watching the fraccase. So, I soften this tendency by associating with persons much more intelligent and cautious than myself.

And yes, intellectual abilities do not equal intelligence and taste is a very personal thing. I know a millionaire diplomat who hob-nobs with royalty yet he likes popular detective mysteries. So, I am well chastized. Myself, I have very little discipline to even read. And I prefer works by authors who in their day were considered too unpolished for publication.

Last edited by hermes; 05-30-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
hermes
non-techy

How far is everywhere?

Dedale wrote: "I have a Sony reader and one of the main advantage (at least for me) is to be able to buy books virtually (yeah good word placement here) everywhere."

Do you care to share how far afield from where your home is everywhere? I am very curious to learn how easy (or impossible) it is to download books from Sony if one registered one's account in USA or?

Last edited by hermes; 05-30-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
Perhaps they figure buyers of a $200 device have more education and leisure time
The Pocket officially retails for $180 in the US, commonly is on sale for $130, and currently is on sale for $110 to $120. Looks like they are going to have to start pulling their drug books off the shelves...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
Dedale wrote: "I have a Sony reader and one of the main advantage (at least for me) is to be able to buy books virtually (yeah good word placement here) everywhere."

Do you care to share how far afield from where your home is everywhere? I am very curious to learn how easy (or impossible) it is to download books from Sony if one registered one's account in USA or?
I'm not sure I understand what you say but I meant that I have a reader which can read epub, txt, doc, pdf...
I'm not tied to a specific store and can buy as well on kobobooks.com (which I just did), on Sony store, B&N, borders, fictionwise.
In fact, when I look for a book in particular, I go to inkmesh.com and check the links it gives me. So yes, I consider I can buy my books virtually everywhere
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote