Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Pocketbook Touch Lux or Basic Touch in USA?

HI

Does anyone know where can I order one of these PB devices in USA? I used to have a PB360 and loved it very much. How're the new Pocketbook Touch Lux or Basic Touch comparing to the PB360 in term of stability & ease of use? Do they still have the folder structure to manage ebooks on the devices?

Thanks
mimosa
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
I had the same question. I sent an email to Pocketbook. Below is their answer

Pocketbook products are unfortunately not sold in the USA. However, they are available for order in France to be delivered to the USA http://boutique.pocketbook.fr/

To get the quote and place the order, send your request at info@pocketbook.fr in English or French.

In case of ordering the device in France, please mind that the warranty card will be valid for 24 months across Europe only.

Return within 14 days is only possible once you cover the two-way shipping costs.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL! I'm not crazy enough to order an ereader from France and have it sent to USA, unless it's absolutely the best in the market which it is not... Sigh!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
LOL! I'm not crazy enough to order an ereader from France and have it sent to USA, unless it's absolutely the best in the market which it is not... Sigh!
I think I may be (and getting it sent to Canada). On January 1st, I started a year long project to convert Burt's Polish-English dictionary to PocketBook format. I'm 3/4 of the way through (less than 90 pages to go). After that colossal effort, it would be a shame if my PB902 died and I couldn't use the dictionary. So, if I'm crazy enough to work on the dictionary, why not be crazy enough to order the device from overseas?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I bought one from Amazon marketplace.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
mimosavj
Addict

It's just sad that ereader companies start to leave the US market. Now my choice is limited to a Kindle PW2 or a Kobo Aura? God! What a shame!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The ones staying all subsidize their ereader prices with sales from their ebook stores. PocketBook cannot compete in such a system, especially with low volume sales. I don't like it, but I don't blame them for pulling out.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
How're the new Pocketbook Touch Lux or Basic Touch comparing to the PB360 in term of stability & ease of use? Do they still have the folder structure to manage ebooks on the devices?
They still have all the features, plus some. So the folder support is there, even with a few clever enhancements.
The new firmware doesn't seem to me as polished and bug-free as the one on my trusty PB360. But, it took a while at PB360 to develop that great firmware and there is is already a public beta for the next firmware for PB623.
I also miss the fbreader180 with its extended configuration possbilities and a theme that would put 50 books/folders on one page the way ClearLook did on PB360.
PDF support is flaky. They have more features, but sometimes you have problem turning page and you have to go to the menu to turn to next page, some epubs in FBReader ignore my settings in styles.cfg and I get text fully justified instead of left justified ... small things but I got used to one of very best devices out there.
In my eyes, despite tiny flaws, my PB623 is still by far the best reader.

If they had front-lit five inch device with a lid like PB360, I would try to import it from Mars, not only from France ;-)

It is sad they pulled out of USA market, but *very* few players can survive a price war with Amazon that barely breaks even on Kindles (that are manufactured in much greater numbers) ... Sigh ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard

I followed Gardenman's instructions, and was able to order the Touch Lux relatively easily. I sent an E-mail to PocketBook France asking them what the shipping would cost, and got the answer back next business day that it would cost 27 euros. I sent back a reply that I was interested in ordering one, but couldn't set up an account on their website since I was outside the EU. Next business day, I got an E-mail with a link to a Paypal page for ordering the device. The device was delivered about a week later via Colissimo/Canada Post. I didn't have to pay any duties, but that may have been luck on my part (don't know if the high shipping cost included the duties, but I doubt it).

So, it wasn't cheap (156 euros in total == $220 CDN), but it was easy to get. Thanks Gardenman.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
Wink

I have purchased it on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
sbwtxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I followed Gardenman's instructions, and was able to order the Touch Lux relatively easily. I sent an E-mail to PocketBook France asking them what the shipping would cost, and got the answer back next business day that it would cost 27 euros. I sent back a reply that I was interested in ordering one, but couldn't set up an account on their website since I was outside the EU. Next business day, I got an E-mail with a link to a Paypal page for ordering the device. The device was delivered about a week later via Colissimo/Canada Post. I didn't have to pay any duties, but that may have been luck on my part (don't know if the high shipping cost included the duties, but I doubt it).

So, it wasn't cheap (156 euros in total == $220 CDN), but it was easy to get. Thanks Gardenman.
I bought my 602 a few years ago from U.S. for about the same price, no duties or tax collected. I still love it. But the Kobo HD only cost me 135 after tax in Toronto recently, with the larger screen than the 623, I stopped being loyal. For me, Pocketbook is still best in dictionary support. Even with the Koreader software, Kobo does not support on-screen dictionaries except English - X ones. What other features make you feel 623 is the best in the market?
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
I bought my 602 a few years ago from U.S. for about the same price, no duties or tax collected. I still love it. But the Kobo HD only cost me 135 after tax in Toronto recently, with the larger screen than the 623, I stopped being loyal. For me, Pocketbook is still best in dictionary support. Even with the Koreader software, Kobo does not support on-screen dictionaries except English - X ones. What other features make you feel 623 is the best in the market?
Two things make me want to stay with PocketBook. One, I have got into developing apps using their SDK, and want to continue to do that, as well as using the previous stuff I developed. Because of the uniqueness of their SDK, porting that work to other platforms would not be easy. Two, I've been working for almost a year on transcribing Burt's Polish->English dictionary, and I know how to make that work on PocketBook devices. I would hate to have to throw away that effort if I went to a different ereader company. Those aren't reasons that apply to most people who use ereaders, but they are important to me. So, I would not say that the 623 is best in market, but it meets my specific needs, and is more than good enough in the areas that most other devices cover.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
sethdove
sethdove began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360+, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
If they had front-lit five inch device with a lid like PB360, I would try to import it from Mars, not only from France ;-)
I know this is a bit old, but had to agree with this statement. I love my 360+, and wish only to have one exactly like it but with a light a la the LUX.
sethdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
too bad the PB360 is not a popular as it should be...IMO
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote