Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
There's been a known issue with a lot of sgs3 stopping to recognise the sim card. That might explain the replacement rates. I currently have a 2 and am nearly absolutely perfectly happy with. Am just searching for a ROM suiting my preferences.

Only thing where they really suck is the maintenance software. (Kies) Even if someone wants to stick to the official ROMS I'd recommend to use Odin for the upgrades.
I believe you mean the SD card, not the SIM card. SanDisk admitted that they were at fault for that. It had nothing to do with the S3. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03...3_sandisk_msd/

I've had my S3 since last September. I couldn't be happier with it. You have way more options in customizing your phone with Android. I can change everything on this phone from wallpaper, icons and fonts right on into installing a custom ROM and whatever launcher suits your needs. My phone never looks the same for more than a couple months. The only thing I did have an issue with was my battery life. I fixed that by adding a 4200mAh extended battery, now I have a smartphone that lasts up to 3 days with moderate use.

I agree with the people that say the plastic feels flimsy. I only find that I notice this if I take the battery cover off and hold it in my hand. It is pretty thin. But the phone itself feels sturdy to me.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Nope the error I meant was, that without any traceable reason the phone "lost" SIM card. Imagine you just do something with it and get the "Simcard not found" msg and the phone behaves as if there wouldn't be a card put in.

Re custom ROMs: I'm still looking around which would give me as much additional functionality and customizability as possible compared to stock; WITHOUT rendering components unusable: some "pretty sweetie" ROM leaving the device without WiFi tethering or cam functionality would be pointless for me.
Suggestions are btw. highly welcome

Even coming from a Linux savvy background doesn't make me grokking everything at the first glance although it saves a lot of looking up.
I try to get the information which would spare me the flashing equivalent of "distro hopping". Already got that t-shirt on the PC side. No wish to repeat the experience.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Nope the error I meant was, that without any traceable reason the phone "lost" SIM card. Imagine you just do something with it and get the "Simcard not found" msg and the phone behaves as if there wouldn't be a card put in.

Re custom ROMs: I'm still looking around which would give me as much additional functionality and customizability as possible compared to stock; WITHOUT rendering components unusable: some "pretty sweetie" ROM leaving the device without WiFi tethering or cam functionality would be pointless for me.
Suggestions are btw. highly welcome

Even coming from a Linux savvy background doesn't make me grokking everything at the first glance although it saves a lot of looking up.
I try to get the information which would spare me the flashing equivalent of "distro hopping". Already got that t-shirt on the PC side. No wish to repeat the experience.
Looks like the "No Sim" error was resolved by Verizon with an update: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/09/13...rror-resolved/

I wish I could give you some advice on a good custom ROM, but I haven't rooted my phone yet. Waiting for my 1 year warranty to run out just in case I mess it up . Have you gone over to XDA or Android Forums?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Yeah still reading my way around
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
The technician told me, they've collected data for some time. Within the measured time period, they had to take back 186 Samsung Galaxy S2 & S3 and 1 (!!!) iPhone.
Not much data there. Maybe they sold 1000 S3s and two iPhones. Maybe there were lots of Apple returns on either side of the measured time period. It's not prudent to make generalizations on an undefined snapshot.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Not much data there. Maybe they sold 1000 S3s and two iPhones...
...they said (quite a surprise for me) iPhone outsells Android 3:1...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I always get suspicious of such generalities. Sounds like fanboys rallying around a setting sun. (AAPL dipped under $430 today.)

Define the study period, tabulate sales, and compare returns of units sold during the study period. Even an iFan should be able to pull that off.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I always get suspicious of such generalities. Sounds like fanboys rallying around a setting sun. (AAPL dipped under $430 today.)

Define the study period, tabulate sales, and compare returns of units sold during the study period. Even an iFan should be able to pull that off.
If you read my other threads: I'm not even close to being an Apple fan.
I even stated in this thread, that I absolutely don't like iPhones (kind of a MacBook Air fan, though).
And I really don't get your aggression.
Who cares?
We're talking about meaningless gadgets here.
And btw: I've got about 50 of those, so I really don't mind about a single manufacturer.
Just wanted to share an interesting anecdote, whether it's representative or not.
And btw: Equity price rarely is linked to actual sales figures, even less so to historic ones...
And: How should anyone pull off sales figures of iPhones and Android (Samsung) phones from a retailer such as Media Markt? You can believe the sales guys or not. But you'll never get insights into a single (minor) product group.

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-01-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #24
wizwor
Wizard

No, but I suspect your friend is.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
No, but I suspect your friend is.
What friend are you talking about?
When did I mention any friend at all?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
wizwor
Wizard

technical support of German Saturn Markt
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
They didn't give any figures.
But they said (quite a surprise for me) iPhone outsells Android 3:1. They didn't give a split Android Samsung.
Those numbers are highly suspicious. Here's why. http://www.androidauthority.com/andr...-sales-182642/

"Only Germans seem to love Android even more, as the market share has grown from 58.8% to a whopping 71%."

Last edited by afv011; 04-02-2013 at 09:36 AM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #28
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
technical support of German Saturn Markt
But he's no friend of mine.
Never met him before.
I've talked to him because of my defective Nokia Lumia 920.
I've tried to establish a "friendly atmosphere", hoping for an exchange unit.
Didn't work though, I have to send the Lumia 920 in for repair.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Those numbers are highly suspicious. Here's why. http://www.androidauthority.com/andr...-sales-182642/

"Only Germans seem to love Android even more, as the market share has grown from 58.8% to a whopping 71%."
Pure speculation.
But there may be an explanation for the sales figures:
This Saturn Markt is placed in a shopping mall.
In this mall, there's one of the few Apple stores in the south of Germany (next one in Munich is ca. 80km away).
I can imagine, lots of Apple fans drive to this mall specifically for the Apple store.
Get informed in the Apple store, but then buy from Saturn Markt.
I don't know about iPhones or iPads. But for Apple TV, surprisingly enough, Saturn Markt is ca. 5% cheaper than the Apple store.
(The slogan of Saturn Markt [or was it their "brother" Media Markt?] a few years ago even has been "parsimony/greed is awesome" [Geiz ist geil]).

Meaning: This specific Saturn Markt may attract Apple fans because of the Apple store only 200m away in the very same shopping mall.
Those fans already may have made up their minds to buy an Apple product.
And they may buy from Saturn Markt instead of Apple directly, because of some slight price advantages.
So this Saturn Markt actually really might sell way more iPhones than Androids because of that...

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-02-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

71% Android.
But how much of that is Samsung?
Let's assume, it's close to 50% of the Android share.
Then Apple and Samsung would be about even in total.