Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #61
Canadian Cookie
Canadian Cookie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Question Transfering files on my Kobo Arc

Today I phoned Kobo to get some help. I was on the phone for one hour and I still don’t have an answer for this . I have been trying to transfer some files from my computers to my new Kobo Arc. I downloaded the Adobe reader app because some of my files are going to be PDF. So far I can only see the files that are jpeg through Gallery. When I am transferring files to my Kobo I am not sure where they’re supposed to go, so I try putting some in the Kobo folder but I still can not see them on my tablet even when I open Adobe reader. By the way if I try transferring files to my Kobo without opening it to the point where I see the folders it doesn’t work, they will not transfer. The Kobo support people do not know how to do this, yesterday I was told that I need Overdrive to read PDF files and was also told that Adobe reader doesn’t work on Kobo. When I want to unplug my Kobo from my computer I do not get an “eject” box. Right now when my Kobo is hooked to my computer I can see the files that I have transferred on it. I am running Windows XP with SP3.
Some of the files that I would like to transfer are in Word, can I still view them on my Kobo and which app do I need for that? As you can see I haven’t started making a tapestry yet.
Also I got a free book that never downloaded to my Kobo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
I have a question. Who let you out of your cage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaisalAbid View Post
Hi guys. Im glad to see many of you loving your Kobo Arc.

The team worked really hard on it and we are humbled that you enjoy the device. After all its because of you guys we love getting up in the morning and do what we do!

Feel free to ask me anything technical regarding your device or Android in general.

p.s There is a kobo easter egg on the device! Find it if you can!
Canadian Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #62
luxaeternam
busy bee
luxaeternam began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / Sony PRS1 / Kobo Arc
I've had my Arc for a week now, and loving it so far. My question is more of a feature request. I'd like to be able to correct typos as I read (in DRM free EPUBs of course). Is this feasible?
luxaeternam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #63
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaisalAbid View Post
Hey guys, great questions here. I will reply very shortly with answers!
could you define "very shortly"
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #64
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
If you mean the Discover section, unfortunately there's nothing you can do to reclaim the space. Best you can do is go into Settings -> Apps -> All and look for the "Discovery Service" and disable it (and the "KoboTracking" and the blue & yellow one with the Chinese character while you're there - the latter is for inputting Asian characters, but it for some reason needs access to your contacts. I don't trust it). That will clear the pictures from the Discover area.
Thanks this worked after a powercycle of the unit. Now I am 100% happy.

Does anyone know if you can use an external keyboard with the arc? I didn't notice any bluetooth options. I know when I was working with OMAP we could use an A - B cable to connect other equipment. Can something similar be done with the arc for using HICs?
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #65
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Cookie View Post
Today I phoned Kobo to get some help. I was on the phone for one hour and I still don’t have an answer for this . I have been trying to transfer some files from my computers to my new Kobo Arc. I downloaded the Adobe reader app because some of my files are going to be PDF. So far I can only see the files that are jpeg through Gallery.
Open the Acrobat Reader app.
Click on the menu icon in the top-left of the title bar.
Switch to Documents.
Click the dropdown in the title bar and select Folder View.
Navigate your way to to where ever you stored the PDF you want to read.

Quote:
When I am transferring files to my Kobo I am not sure where they’re supposed to go, so I try putting some in the Kobo folder but I still can not see them on my tablet even when I open Adobe reader.
They can go pretty much anywhere. Most apps'll move or copy them to their own spot (not Acrobat Reader, though). For your PDFs, unless you're the obsessive type who has to have everything perfectly organized, I'd suggest just creating a PDFs directory in the main folder (/sdcard) and putting them there so you can find them easily.

For the Kobo app, you have to use the Import menu option (and even then you can only import DRM-free ePub files)....

Quote:
By the way if I try transferring files to my Kobo without opening it to the point where I see the folders it doesn’t work, they will not transfer.
Well, yeah. You have to actually go in and place them somewhere inside the /sdcard folder, preferably in a subfolder there.

Quote:
The Kobo support people do not know how to do this, yesterday I was told that I need Overdrive to read PDF files and was also told that Adobe reader doesn’t work on Kobo.
Unfortunately, from the sounds of it, the Support people don't really know about the Arc and might think you're talking about one of the eInk ereaders, or perhaps the Vox...

Quote:
When I want to unplug my Kobo from my computer I do not get an “eject” box. Right now when my Kobo is hooked to my computer I can see the files that I have transferred on it. I am running Windows XP with SP3.
The Arc doesn't attach as a traditional removable storage device, and seems to do all write operations immediately instead of caching them. Still, it's probably best to wait 10 seconds or so after the last time you access a file on the Arc (opening a file, editing a file, or copying a file to it, for example) before unplugging it.

Quote:
Some of the files that I would like to transfer are in Word, can I still view them on my Kobo and which app do I need for that?
Unfortunately, I have no idea which apps there are, or which are best, but I'm certain there's plenty in the Play Store. Do a search for "office", perhaps.

Quote:
Also I got a free book that never downloaded to my Kobo.
You should've gotten two free books inside the Kobo app - a Star Trek comic and a book of photographs. And maybe a third, "Margarita Nights" (I think that's it), an epub - not sure if it comes with the Arc, though, as I'd gotten it when logging in on a non-Arc device.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #66
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
J D kobo should be payin you
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #67
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
First off, I don't have an Arc, but I do have a similar android tablet. I find that Dropbox is the best solution for transferring files to my tablet. Just have Dropbox installed on both your PC and the Arc. Copy the file into the Dropbox folder on your PC and it will be transferred to the the Dropbox folder on your Arc.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #68
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
First off, I don't have an Arc, but I do have a similar android tablet. I find that Dropbox is the best solution for transferring files to my tablet. Just have Dropbox installed on both your PC and the Arc. Copy the file into the Dropbox folder on your PC and it will be transferred to the the Dropbox folder on your Arc.
Problem with that is that it first has to be uploaded, usually at a glacially slow speed, to Dropbox's servers before it gets sent over to your tablet. Still, it's a decent option if your tablet won't behave while connected to the computer and you can't figure out how to set up the computer so you can browse it on your home network and copy files over that way... (gonna have to see how to do that myself one of these days)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #69
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
I have a question. Who let you out of your cage?
Whatever, slackass!
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #70
coreslogic
coreslogic began at the beginning.

Maybe I am the lucky one, Windows 7 recognizes the Kobo Arc as USB device right away.
And I use Android File Transfer App (http://www.android.com/filetransfer/) between iMac and Kobo Arc. No problem so far.
coreslogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #71
kindle88
kindle88 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
A question regarding the default Android keyboard on the Kobo Arc.

Is there a way to enable Popup on Keypress? This is a very useful feature to confirm what key you have pressed. But I didn't see this in the settings.

Thanks.
kindle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #72
FaisalAbid
Developer - Kobo Arc.
FaisalAbid began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
could you define "very shortly"
I apologize for not getting back to most of you. Kobo's been keeping me super busy. I plan to after work go through each of your questions and answer them.

Thank you guys for understanding!
FaisalAbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #73
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Folder question..........

Perhaps you are able to answer this for me? I posted this earlier today

"I have been getting to know my Arc over the past few days along with using Android File Transfer, so that I can try and understand the device a little better!

I have been looking at the folder structures on my Arc and decided to compare them with the same structures on my wife's Arc.

My wife's Arc in the Kobo folder has sub folders:
epubs
images
updates

These do not show in the Kobo file structure on my own Arc.

Not sure why these would be different, apart from when I went to Google Play it offered a Kobo update for my Arc, which I took, yet my wife's Arc was not offered this update. Both devices where purchased within a week of each other so I assume they are from the same production batch?

Are my missing folders important, if they are how do I mount them on my Arc.

I have had a brief trawl around the web but cannot see an answer. I have tried creating a new folder, however AFT will not let me rename it nor will it allow me to drag/drop it into the Kobo folder.

So I am here for some expert advice, or do I leave well alone?

If someone has an answer, please make it really simple as I know nothing much about Android, this being my first venture into it".

Thanks

Carpman (Peter)
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #74
Canadian Cookie
Canadian Cookie began at the beginning.

Apps

Gumby thank you sooooo much for answering my questions.
I'm just learning how this forum works and I'm a little confused about where to post and I still don't know how to find out if someone has answered other then searching my name. I think you're the only one who has. I can now see my PDF files. What I'm trying to do is put all my recipes on my tablet. Most of them are in Word, some of them I'll have to scan from cookbooks or take a picture of them - but than they would be in JPG and I would rather have them all in the same format. I was told when I bought the Arc that I would have to reformat those Word files in PDF. Do you think I can use an App such as Quick office pro to view word files?
Also I 've been trying to watch some program on web sites where it says that I need to download Flash player. Flash player doesn't work on Kobo, is there an other App to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Open the Acrobat Reader app.
Click on the menu icon in the top-left of the title bar.
Switch to Documents.
Click the dropdown in the title bar and select Folder View.
Navigate your way to to where ever you stored the PDF you want to read.

They can go pretty much anywhere. Most apps'll move or copy them to their own spot (not Acrobat Reader, though). For your PDFs, unless you're the obsessive type who has to have everything perfectly organized, I'd suggest just creating a PDFs directory in the main folder (/sdcard) and putting them there so you can find them easily.

For the Kobo app, you have to use the Import menu option (and even then you can only import DRM-free ePub files)....

Well, yeah. You have to actually go in and place them somewhere inside the /sdcard folder, preferably in a subfolder there.

Unfortunately, from the sounds of it, the Support people don't really know about the Arc and might think you're talking about one of the eInk ereaders, or perhaps the Vox...

The Arc doesn't attach as a traditional removable storage device, and seems to do all write operations immediately instead of caching them. Still, it's probably best to wait 10 seconds or so after the last time you access a file on the Arc (opening a file, editing a file, or copying a file to it, for example) before unplugging it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea which apps there are, or which are best, but I'm certain there's plenty in the Play Store. Do a search for "office", perhaps.

You should've gotten two free books inside the Kobo app - a Star Trek comic and a book of photographs. And maybe a third, "Margarita Nights" (I think that's it), an epub - not sure if it comes with the Arc, though, as I'd gotten it when logging in on a non-Arc device.
Canadian Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #75
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Cookie View Post
Gumby thank you sooooo much for answering my questions.
I'm just learning how this forum works and I'm a little confused about where to post and I still don't know how to find out if someone has answered other then searching my name.
Click on "User CP" up near the top of the page. That'll list the threads you've participated in and/or subscribed to. Click on the down arrow in the square on the left side of the article title to go to the first unread message in the thread.

Quote:
Do you think I can use an App such as Quick office pro to view word files?
I'd assume that's what Quick Office Pro is for, but I've never used it, so I've no idea for that sort of thing...

Quote:
Also I 've been trying to watch some program on web sites where it says that I need to download Flash player. Flash player doesn't work on Kobo, is there an other App to use?
Yeah, you'll have to poke around some of the other threads to find the instructions for getting Flash on your Arc (you'll need to use Firefox or Opera or Dolphin as your web browser, however, not the basic Browser or Chrome).

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc