Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #61
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiridan View Post

I had November 3, 2012 delivery estimate for for my leather cover, but it changed to October 9 - October 15, 2012 when I:
1. "changed shipping speed" from FREE Super Saver Shipping to Standard shipping and
2. selected FREE Super Saver Shipping again.

I like this so much better

Be careful playing with the shipping methods of your cover, especially if it's in the same order as the kindle itself. I changed the shipping method for my blue cover from 2-day to 1-day and the delivery date went from Oct 31 to Nov. 5! The shipping method for the kindle itself also went from 2-day to 1-day, even though they both had their own separate "change shipping method" button. Luckily the delivery date for the PW wi-fi w/SO didn't change - Oct. 2.

That day (a few days ago) when I placed another order for the cover, it still said Nov 5, so I cancelled that new order. But today I ordered it again and it says Oct. 29 (with 2-day shipping). But I'm not going to try and remove the cover from the order with the PW until I have the PW in my hands - I'm not taking any chances!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #62
booknerd391
booknerd391 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The Kindle's going to be at Best Buy! So I think I'm going to go pre-order it there, too, and If I can get it earlier than October 24, I'll cancel my Amazon pre-order.
booknerd391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #63
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Ordered a SO WiFi as soon as it became available. My estimate never changed and still says 10/5-10/11 (with free super saver shipping to New England)
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #64
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
Oh @hit! So my cover was going to be shipped in November (after my PW). I clicked on change shipping and re-selected free shipping. It updated to October 9-15 (with my PW at October 17-20).

BUT, now I am being charged California tax! LOL. California passed a law that starting 9/15/12 or thereabouts, online retailers that sell 1 million or more (I think) have to collect tax. I'm a little pissed, but actually, I wanted my cover either before or at the same time I get my PW. I don't want to have a naked PW that might get damaged. LOL. So, I'm pissed, but them I'm also happy.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #65
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure25 View Post
Oh @hit! So my cover was going to be shipped in November (after my PW). I clicked on change shipping and re-selected free shipping. It updated to October 9-15 (with my PW at October 17-20).

BUT, now I am being charged California tax! LOL. California passed a law that starting 9/15/12 or thereabouts, online retailers that sell 1 million or more (I think) have to collect tax. I'm a little pissed, but actually, I wanted my cover either before or at the same time I get my PW. I don't want to have a naked PW that might get damaged. LOL. So, I'm pissed, but them I'm also happy.
I would call Amazon CS. Since you never cancelled the order, just changed the shipping type, you might have a legitimate case for stating that you still bought it before the CA tax rule went into effect. Amazon might disagree, but it is certainly worth discussing with them.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why does it matter? If Amazon didn't charge you the tax, you'd have to pay it yourself as Use Tax, surely?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #67
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Technically that's true, but a lot of people "cheat" and count on not being caught.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So the suggestion is that the previous poster complain to Amazon because he won't be able to commit the crime of tax evasion so easily?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #69
jswinden
Nameless Being

In USA we have 50 states and multiple territories each with the autonomy to write and enforce their own tax laws separate from the federal tax code. As you Brits might say, it is a bloody mess! Add to that confusion another layer of confusion where each city (or appropriate taxing authority) can also charge taxes on sales as well as income if so allowed by the state or territory in which it is located. Most cities don't tax income but do tax sales, but a few tax income as well. Now add yet another layer in the form of independent school districts (our secondary education system) which can also tax property. No wonder why we have so damn many tax lawyers in the USA!

But seriously now, in the USA Congress passed a law way back when the internet was beginning to gain popularity wherein internet commerce sites were given a multiple year exemption on charging sales tax on goods sold. The rationale was to give this then new form of commerce plenty of time to establish itself and to take care of all the confusion over which taxing authorities could tax internet sales. At first taxing authority at the state level or lower could tax internet retail sales. That law has been extended and amended a few times over the years. Now states are allowed to tax sales from internet commerce sites that have a physical presence within their borders. Defining "physical presence" is controversial and ultimately up to the states and courts. Some states like Texas where Amazon has no retail stores/centers still force Amazon to charge/collect sales tax because they claim "physical presence" includes warehouse distribution centers used to speed up the delivery process.

California has just joined the list of states requiring Amazon to charge sales tax to its citizens. However, if an item was purchased before the CA requirement went into effect then the purchaser should not have had to pay CA sales tax. But the tricky part is how does CA and/or Amazon define "purchased." Since the purchased Kindle and cover are not paid for until they ship, it might be argued that they come under the new CA taxing agreement. One might also argue that placing the order prior to the new CA taxing agreement even without payment at that time might exempt the order from CA sales tax. Either way it doesn't hurt to ask Amazon to review the purchase as far as sales tax goes.

So Harry it is not about tax evasion. It is a question of whether Amazon was legally required to charge CA sales tax for this specific transaction.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-21-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #70
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Amazon also operates under multiple subsidiary names to avoid needing to charge sales tax in many states. But more states are writing laws to close that "loophole". I posted details about this (with a link to a relevant section of the amazon article at WikiPedia) in another thread at MobileRead.

Many "Brick and Mortar" retailers want to get rid of the internet "tax-free" ride for online purchases, so they have less "unfair" competition with online-only stores. Some of them complain that many customers visit their store to see and handle their products, then go home and place a cheaper online order.

Tax free internet sales for us in the USA may not last much longer, I am afraid.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #71
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Amazon also operates under multiple subsidiary names to avoid needing to charge sales tax in many states. But more states are writing laws to close that "loophole". I posted details about this (with a link to a relevant section of the amazon article at WikiPedia) in another thread at MobileRead.

Many "Brick and Morter" retailers want to get rid of the internet "tax-free" ride for online purchases, so they have less "unfair" competition with online-only stores. Some of them complain that many customers visit their store to see and handle their products, then go home and place a cheaper online order.

Tax free internet sales for us in the USA may not last much longer, I am afraid.
Yep, and it was these same mega-stores that drove the "mom and pop" stores out of business all across this nation. Now that Amazon figured out how to drive them out of business they are crying a river. No sympathy from me! If they want to compete then they need to transform themselves into the Amazon model--or die the miserable death they forced on the poor mom and pops.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #72
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I shopped all the local "Big Box" stores last Christmas season, to purchase a 3D HDTV for the family. I really wanted to purchase locally. But after a LOT of searching for a local deal on what I wanted, I ended up buying online from "Abe's of Maine" (through amazon.com) for less than half the local purchase price, even including in home delivery / installation / testing. And no sales tax as well, so an even better bargain. If Abe's (with its own Brick and Mortar store) can do sell it AND ship it for that price, why can't a local store match it? I even brought a printout of the online item and tried for a price match -- no can do. Why? The big chain stores must have to send a lot of their profit up the food chain to their corporate investors or something...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #73
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why does it matter? If Amazon didn't charge you the tax, you'd have to pay it yourself as Use Tax, surely?
I'm not sure about California, but in Vermont, on state taxes, you have the option of either keeping track of all your online purchases and paying the right tax, or paying a flat fee based on your income. For anyone who does even a moderate amount of online shopping, the flat fee fee is less than what you'd pay if you kept track of everything, so most people do that. So, one additional retailer actually charging sales tax will cost you more.

So, for instance, I would be likely to say something like, "bummer! I'm being charged tax!" for an online purchase that charges it. It doesn't mean I'm trying to or intend to break the law.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #74
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I just noticed my account was debited today for the PW I ordered. Delivery date is still 10/17, but I am hoping that will update.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #75
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey57 View Post
I just noticed my account was debited today for the PW I ordered. Delivery date is still 10/17, but I am hoping that will update.
Amazon normally takes its payment right before shipping

I just checked my account and I haven't been charged yet - please Amazon take my money !!!
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote