Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
usb power draw question

If I have a USB device (let's say a Sony Reader) and I connect it to my Macbook to charge, does it charge faster if my macbook is plugged in, vs on battery power?

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
If I have a USB device (let's say a Sony Reader) and I connect it to my Macbook to charge, does it charge faster if my macbook is plugged in, vs on battery power?

Thanks,
eP
NO

USB puts out 5Volts Period
The port has a preset limit on how much current is allowed to flow. That is the sole limiting factor on charge time.

Will it kill your MBP (or any other brand) battery sooner when not plugged in. Yes. Both ways . Charge - Discharge cycles use up the Battery Lifetime (More equals Less )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Or it might not charge at all. I believe my netbook will popup a notice that it cannot charge an external device - depending on its battery level if the netbook is not plugged in.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok, thanks!

I have also noticed that if the computer goes to sleep, the reader stops charging. Time to get a wall plug, I think.

eP
Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Most devices only draw at most 500mA (milliamps) so charging from laptop battery itself is minimal. Considering it takes several hours for a full charge for most of our devices, the laptop battery will be low or unusable by that time anyways.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
ok, thanks!

I have also noticed that if the computer goes to sleep, the reader stops charging. Time to get a wall plug, I think.

eP
Some computers have advanced power settings that let you decide what happens to USB power when the computer is in various states. You might be able to change it on yours.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
A KINDLE battery's capacity is 1750 mAh. My laptop's battery capacity is near 50 Ah. USB regulated voltage is 5 VDC. My laptop's battery puts out 12 VDC nominal. There are at least three generations of USB standards, with varying power specifications. A high power USB port should be able to charge your e-reader.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard

Actually I just discovered that my ipod can continue to draw power when my macbook is asleep, but my Sony Reader cannot. Why is this?

eP
Old 01-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Different devices look for or detect different signals besides just power on usb connections. My Creative MP3 player could only charge from certain usb ports and only using certain ac adapters that provided some signal that the player was seeking. It was not just a matter of having the right voltage.

My Blackberry will occasionally throw up a prompt/message that there was insufficient power to charge it - has happened with both cigarette lighter sockets and usb ports on laptops.

Some devices will not work properly with usb hubs whether they are separately powered or not and sometimes the usb ports on the front of a computer and those on the back will provide different results. USB is not, well, always usb, I gather.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote