Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
tryp
tryp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cool What eReader should I buy?

I'm thinking about getting an eReader. I'd prefer one on the lower end of the price range. What's important to me is the ability to read PDFs, and books from places other than the website (booksonboard etc.). A good selection of books is also important - I read a lot of obscure-ish sci fi fantasy. I'd also like to be able to organize at least a bit. I'm thinking of the Kobo but I'm also tempted by the Kindle.

Plus I'm in Canada, so I need something readily available there, which is why I thought the Kobo, though if something else is really better, I'm willing to import. Unfortunately, only some of Amazon's library is available to Canadian IP addresses, so that's a big drawback for me, since it excludes a lot of new releases I want to read.

I am a student, and I do plan to try to read PDF papers and some academic stuff. I know that eReaders are not the best for this. That said, the kind of papers I read don't have a whole lot of important figures and such, and I usually read straight through without taking notes or skipping around. I know Amazon has a better selection of medical textbooks, too.

I'm mildly computer literate and I don't mind working a little bit to convert file formats as long as it's not super complicated or involved.

Anyone have any insight/personal experience on which ones I should look at?

Last edited by tryp; 11-02-2010 at 12:05 PM.
tryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to Mobileread, tryp

Hang in there, you're about to get lots of suggestions...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Checked the PRS-650 ?
650 has a lot good points mentioned in several reviews.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't think you are going to find a good e-reader on the low end that handles PDF's well. Pretty much everyone has compalined about the PDF usability on the Kindle and Nook. The SOny's are suppose to be good but are not on the low end side of things.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

All Amazon books are not available for the Kindle though. You should check if the medical books you seek are available in their format. Otherwise, the PRS-650 seems better for PDF books, although 6" devices are not optimal for this format. Bigger ones (9") are more suitable, but are a lot more expensive too.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
tryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
All Amazon books are not available for the Kindle though. You should check if the medical books you seek are available in their format. Otherwise, the PRS-650 seems better for PDF books, although 6" devices are not optimal for this format. Bigger ones (9") are more suitable, but are a lot more expensive too.
They do have good med books in kindle format, but I think I could probably also get them in ePub or another format.
If I give up on the PDF thing and I just want a low end reader that I can get a good selection of sci-fi/fantasy for in canada, is Kobo or Kindle better?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do a search for the books that you are interested in at the stores of the e-readers you are thinking of buying. Keep in mind that the Nook and Kobo can read books from multiple stores.

I have a feeling that you will find that Amazon has the best selection. I say this because I have seen posts by more then a few Nook users who have bought a Kindle in order to get books that are available at Amazon and no where else.

But the easiest way for you to decide based on book availablity is to go to each store and see what they have.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
tryp

Amazon has a good selection, but a lot of the books I want are only available in the US D: I'm going to look some more before I decide.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Good hunting.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

If you get ePub books, you cannot read them on the Kindle. You could use the PRS-650, because as a student you might want to take notes on the books.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
tryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
If you get ePub books, you cannot read them on the Kindle. You could use the PRS-650, because as a student you might want to take notes on the books.
I'm definitely considering the 650, now that everyone has mentioned it.
Can I not convert ePub stuff to Kindle with Calibre?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Hi tryp and welcome to MobileRead.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryp View Post
I'm definitely considering the 650, now that everyone has mentioned it.
Can I not convert ePub stuff to Kindle with Calibre?
If it is not DRMed you can convert it in Calibre. If it has DRM then you first have to strip the DRM.

Personally, I would not buy an e-reader without at least WiFi. The ability to connect to the web and download books where ever you want is something that I would not give up.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
tryp

How hard is it to strip DRM?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I have nver done it myself so I have no clue. Try a google search to get more info.

Tags
canada, kindle, kobo