Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #31
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Hold on, guys. Emma asked what type of software we use to write e-books.

All this good stuff about formatting may put her off. And besides, her publisher will do all that for her. What she has to do is get a good MS to the publisher.

And if she's going to be her own publisher, time enough to get into that when the time comes.

Last edited by James_Wilde; 05-28-2013 at 11:50 PM.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Hold on, guys. Emma asked what type of software we use to write e-books.

All this good stuff about formatting may put her off. And besides, her publisher will do all that for her. What she has to do is get a good MS to the publisher.

And if she's going to be her own publisher, time enough to get into that when the time comes.
Actually, James:

She certainly asked about some of the formatting issues, stating that she was struggling: "I used MS word but now sick with it. After every new page I have to adjust lines, header, footer, page number and pictures." So, above and beyond writing software, like LO, OO, Word, etc., she seemed to be asking about certain formatting aspects. I think everyone here tried to answer what we inferred to be her questions and to address issues that we also inferred were what she was discussing when she mentioned the above problems.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #33
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
If you're using Word correctly, you should only have to mess with headers, footers, page numbers, and things like that once, when you set up your document. If you're constantly having to mess with them, you're doing something wrong. I'd have to see the file to figure out what. I'm no Word expert, although I know people who are, and I'm pretty good with working with it.

The key is to not impose formatting, but to use styles to define your formats. It's a bit tricksey until you get used to it, but Word styles are a big part of its power.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
If you're using Word correctly, you should only have to mess with headers, footers, page numbers, and things like that once, when you set up your document. If you're constantly having to mess with them, you're doing something wrong. I'd have to see the file to figure out what. I'm no Word expert, although I know people who are, and I'm pretty good with working with it.

The key is to not impose formatting, but to use styles to define your formats. It's a bit tricksey until you get used to it, but Word styles are a big part of its power.

Becca:

Indeed. I asked the OP why she was having those issues, looking to assist somewhat, in my first post on this thread, but never received any reply. Word's built-in styles and outlining feature are pretty much everything.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #35
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It would help immensely if the OP returned and clarified the issue a little.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
for about 9 months, I made a tolerable living doing nothing but taking badly formatted word documents and imposing a style template on them and cleaning up the styles. It was a good education, but boring after awhile.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #37
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
What software do you use to write with?

Title says it all really. Whether you use a dedicated software package that does everything, or you use notepad in DOS, what do you use and what do you like about it?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #38
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I do the bulk of my writing in Word. I use other tools to make my ebooks out of my word files, but I do my writing in Word.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #39
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I use Scrivener too, and like someone said, it is better than ... (I wouldn't know, I'm only 24, hahaha).

I like that you have one file, and it's like a complete package. You have a Binder, and then you have individual folders, you can set them up anyway you want. Default, you get a folder for your Drafts, and then another for Research. There's also a Trash folder.

But then you can have one for Characters, Pictures, Notes, To-Dos, and whatever the hell you want. For people that aspire to be more organized when writing, and don't want the hassle of doing the file setups themselves, this is the perfect software.

And the backup feature is great. You can keep up to 25 of them, and it really works well when you have it pointed to Dropbox, Google Drive or whatever. So if you like to use multiple machines, it makes a cool setup.

You can also set up the formatting however you like so it always works and looks the way you like it.

Great, great, great software. Worth the $50.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #40
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I tried Scrivener, and quite liked it, but it didn't have styles, and I had issues with documents having inconsistent formatting for no readily apparent reason. I found lots of little irritations with Scrivener. Individually, they were tiny, so I kept with it, hoping that I'd get used to it, but in the end it was just too much and I gave up on it.

I've also written in a text editor called Geany, using Markdown syntax for formatting. Using a text editor meant there were few distractions, which I liked. The side bar showed the headings, and so acted in a similar way to the navigator in LibreOffice and the binder in Scrivener.

I'm currently using LibreOffice. I've just installed the writer2xhtml extension recommended by gmw, which resolves one issue that concerned me, since it means that I can easily export to a nicely formatted ePub for final editing in Sigil. I've been using OpenOffice since before v1, then switched to LibreOffice, so it's very familiar to me. I've recently discovered EuroOffice, an Android app that allows me to edit .odt files on my phone, which I find occasionally useful. I've written a macro to provide me with a session word count, one of the things I liked about Scrivener that LibreOffice can't do out of the box.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #41
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I use Scrivener, libreoffice and Sigil.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #42
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
You might want to check out using Wordpress or similar blogging tools. They have extensive
plugin support. The nice thing is that you can always access your writing as long as you have some kind of net connection.

I use it on my local server here and works well for writing, collecting ideas, etc.
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote