Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
New Firmware 1.29US

I thought I'd start a new thread for firmware Release Version 1.29 US

It downloaded successfully-Whew!

It booted up with release notes as my" Currently Reading". But it was the original text doc that came with the unit. Current through v1.14. So no lessons learned by iriver in this regard. What a joke. No new release notes found elsewhere either.

Main Option Menu seems the same as well as Settings Menu

I went in to the book I had been reading. No new menu options.

Page progress bar still flashes at bottom after page change.

Page numbers in margin are gone- Yes

and,

Nitsimp reported: "I just installed 1.29. I went to check, and found that moving from one jpg to the next in the directory works again. Yay! And this update didn't mess with my time settings. Even if nothing else was changed I'd be happy with it."

So I guess that's it. I'm hoping I missed something.
Pretty disappointing
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I'm not happy about the loss of the page numbers. Why couldn't they have made them optional instead?
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I guess my feel on the page number issue is this: I'd like to have them but only if they were properly displayed. When they blur out the last letter of a word it's annoying.
If iriver doesn't have the mental horsepower to do it right, then I'm glad they just eliminated them.

Last edited by CJJ; 02-17-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Device: none
I think I found some pdf viewing improvements: it is now possible to read pdf (djvu) in landscape mode. Before that pressing the next-page button would throw you to the next page without showing the lower portion of the current page.
(At least that is my experience as I remember when first started using the device. I can't swear on it - since the first disappointment with the landscape I've been reading pdfs with pages cut in half before putting them in iriver Story.)

Unfortunately, zoom is still inactive in the landscape mode - and when I tried to zoom in while in the portrait mode and then switch to the landscape mode, the zoom was scaled accordingly, but alas! it's not possible to move the page up-down, so a portion remains always out of view.

Therefore, their approach is to handle the Adobe Mobile page in the landscape mode strictly by dividing one page in half and showing a half at a time.

In my pocketbook 301, the landscape page is handled flexibly: you can move it up-down by any number of steps required in order to finish reading the entire page (there is a small black box at the bottom of the screen with a white portion moving while you move around the page).

Last edited by chuckz; 02-17-2012 at 02:05 PM.
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm, they changed the 1.29 update today. It's still 1.29 so whoever updated it already might not be able to get the "new" 1.29 since it's technically still the same version number.

They only changed one file (Popup Window app) compared to the previous 1.29. I can't tell what they changed from the file and I didn't notice any difference after putting it on the reader so ... ... it remains a mystery.

EDIT:

Oooh, they put it on their homepage.

Quote:
1. Added Functions
- Arrow guide icon added for reading convenience when horizontal reading mode.
- Keep zoom status of PDF format when horizontal reading.
- Screen margin added for ePub reading.

2. Bug fixed

- "A Game of Thrones" can not be downloaded issue was solved: There was some error in our rename function. Game of Thrones Boxed Set: A Game of Thrones/A Clash of Kings/A Storm of Swords/A Feast for Crows (Google eBook)
- Sometimes the device cannot connect to hidden AP issue was fixed.
The patch on their homepage is identical to what was offered as 1.29 update originally, it does not contain the change in todays 1.29 OTA firmware... but whatever, at least some changelog

Anyone ever see the arrow guide icon, cause I'm still looking for it. I've seen it in the firmware files but not actually on the reader, when does it appear...?

"Screen margin added for ePub reading" could by why the margins I configured in calibre no longer seem to work for the right hand margin...? Anyone else uses custom margins in their epubs and have problems with them?

Last edited by frostschutz; 02-22-2012 at 07:52 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
CJJ
Zealot

Mine will not OTA update. Says 1.29 is most current, just like you suspected.

Arrow Guide icon- not sure what that's supposed to be. Nothing in ePubs. I checked a PDF and there were two solid triangles in the margins while in landscape mode. I never use PDF's (or landscape) so i don't know if those have always been there. Not sure what use they are, they seem more like floating page break indicators to me.

Unless someone stumbles on what the latest change was, I don't think I'm even going to bother with it.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
I checked a PDF and there were two solid triangles in the margins while in landscape mode.
Ah, that's it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
Not sure what use they are, they seem more like floating page break indicators to me.
It shows the top half and then the bottom half of each page (or rather the top 70% then the bottom 70%, depending on page size), and the arrows just help with orientation. I think I've seen screenshots of something similar of the Sony, some kind of shade effect to mark the section that will appear on both sides since it displays more than just exactly half.

The shade effect may be more intuitive than the arrows, but oh well.

Nice to see such features added at all, maybe they'll add a notepad next, who knows
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
CJJ
Zealot

Good to know.

Frost Protection- Do you think the added file you saw was a release note? These were not included (nor modified) in the original OTA 1.29. Just a thought.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User

When you turn off the iriver (hold power button 5-15 secs), it displays a shutdown screen. On the bottom of that screen it says "firmware 1.xx". Does it say "firmware 1.29" for you?

It does for me now but IIRC it said "firmware 1.21" the other day...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
CJJ
Zealot

Ye,p that's it! Mine still says 1.21.

(I can live with that LOL) Another "whoops" moment by the iriver programmer(s).

In their defense, the unit is very stable. Maybe it's due to the rather thin features set, but i'll take that over the endless bugs you hear about in some of the feature-heavy readers.

Last edited by CJJ; 02-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User

The unit is stable, yes, but there is some serious danger in accidental bricking. And once that happens there is no way to recover.

Take the 1.29 US firmware for example. They offer this on their homepage for download now. That's nice, however this isn't a full firmware but a patch, and it's expected that you are already using the 1.25 US firmware before using it. It doesn't say so in the instructions however. So if someone tried to go from 1.21 to 1.29 (the only firmware versions available for download if you can't use wifi), you're missing some changes/files that were added in 1.25. Not sure if they are important...

My recommendation is to never use the downloads and always use the wifi upgrade... if you dont have wifi at home go to a cafe that offers wifi or something
Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

I guess I am the only one here who reads image-scanned pdfs - and those two changes make the whole difference for me:
1) zoom scale arranged in the portrait mode is maintained in the landscape mode and
2) I am able to move down the current page in case the book page is bigger than the screen (the triangular page-cutting marks show the cutting line with a substantial overlap)

These two features allow reading in the landcape mode which makes a lot of sense considering that a real book page gets all squeezed in a portrait mode so that even the best resolution makes it impossible to read for more than a few minutes.

My gratitude to the developers is a little diminished though - since these features must have been there from the beginning :-)

Philosophically speaking, when e-readers were starting up, not many books were OCR-d yet and put online for downloading from libraries or stores. Many of the older readers were equipped with pdf-reading features. Then, tons of epubs have appeared with these features becoming kind or redundant. Nowadays people realize that not only many books they want have not been OCR-d but those available are full of errors. And some of us like a feel of a real paper book on the device, with wrinkled pages and underlinings.

Last edited by chuckz; 02-24-2012 at 10:05 AM.
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User

There are a couple of people who read image pdf actually (manuals they need for their work or whatever). But usually you buy this thing for actual ebooks, not pdfs...

Of course it's nice to see an improvement in this area (or in any area for that matter).
Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
karakai
karakai began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story HD
Has anyone tried the HD with the new firmware to connect to a Linux computer?
As it looks It has some connection problems with this fw. The system says, that the SD card (FAT32, 8Gb) has no free space left, but on a windows computer everything works fine.
I wrote a mail to the iriver support, but they answered, that Linux is not a supported OS. But the connection worked with an older fw...

Do anyone know any workaround for this problem? (I don't want to downgrade.)
Thank You.
karakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Kubuntu (always the latest release) is my only home OS. I haven't seen this problem. I did have a problem a couple of months ago where occasionally a large djvu file on the SD card couldn't be read by my computer, but that hasn't happened for a while. I'm not so sure the problem is the firmware version, but I wish you luck in solving this.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote