Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
New firmware for Pocket Pro?

Hi guys,

On a whim, I went to the EZ Reader site and checked the firmware page and it looks like there is a new firmware version out. I've been kind of busy recently, so I haven't been checking the forums much, but I don't think I saw an announcement that any new firmware had been released.

Anyway, the EZ Reader site says it was posted on 9/7/2010 and doesn't have much of a description except for "Clock but no TTS version". The various parser versions look like they are the same as listed for the previous firmware version. The Firmware version is V2.02ASTAK.100706 and BookShelf version is V2.00.100706.

Except for the fact that TTS is gone in this version, the only difference I see is that it looks like they increased the contrast on the menu screens and switched the default font for the menu screens to Ibookn and added a couple of options for the date format. However, I was running an older version of the firmware, so that might not be new.

Anyone else running this version? If so, was the battery drain issue of the past couple of versions resolved? Doesn't look like any of the issues I cared about were addressed (mobi still forgets user settings if you exit a book and no user override for font or margins in ePub) and I'm guessing they will never be addressed.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
yes, I just returned from http://www.theezreader.com/ because of Joebill's post pointing out that the Plus and the PPro are now on the website. I also noted the new FW and was getting ready to post a question like yours.

From your description, (V2.02ASTAK.100706) it is the same FW that was already loaded on my replacement PPro which I received in mid-August. At the time, no one had ever heard of it, and Astak support's response via Jenifer was that the April FW was the latest, but that they only recommend the December FW.

I commented at the time that the screen seemed to have more contrast (darker font) than the one I broke. In addition, I also observed the menu font seemed a little larger and easier to read. So it would appear that Astak finally received the FW that the factory was already sticking on newly-shipped items.

I can say that having been using the FW for about a month, I have seen no problems with it, and although I tested a little epub.fb2 on it just to see if CR was there, I haven't done much else to test it except read read read.

Note: the "ebook" tab still only goes to a page listing outside sources for ebooks. No direct link to their own ebook store (yet, perhaps?). And I guess the site isn't really back up/repaired/whatever. All readers are still shown "out of stock".

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-18-2010 at 12:03 AM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Thanks eGeezer! I never used the TTS so it doesn't bother me that it's not in this version, although it is strange it was removed. (Did anyone ever have an explanation on why it was removed?) As long as the battery drain issue is fixed, I'll keep this version. The menus are definitely easier to read.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
Thanks eGeezer! I never used the TTS so it doesn't bother me that it's not in this version, although it is strange it was removed. (Did anyone ever have an explanation on why it was removed?) As long as the battery drain issue is fixed, I'll keep this version. The menus are definitely easier to read.
Hopefully it will come back soon. The EZ Reader V3+ finally got TTS. None of the standard Jinke Hanlin products (V5 or V3+) have TTS. It is a customization for certain customers. It is likely that Astak took the standard released Hanlin version instead of their custom version and didn't notice.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
When the previous version came out without TTS we all threw such a fuss, Robert put pressure on them to return the TTS, which they did.

I guess without Robert's pressure they decided to remove it as they had previously tried. This is my opinion only, not anything that was told to me.

I have not idea about the TTS on the 6".

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI

Just for something to compare, I went back to my saved copies of all the PP updates and compared the sizes of the zipped file.

The updates for the PP have grown in size each time. Though the v5setup.bin file (that is the unzipped file used for the FW update) is always 130,048KB, the zipped file is different.

(YYYY MM DD)
2009 09 07 ==> 82,538KB
2009 11 05 ==> 77,204KB (I guess this one was smaller)
2009 12 11 ==> 106,577 KB
2010 03 12 ==> 110,796 KB (pulled for errors)
2010 04 06 ==> 111,093 KB
2010 09 07 ==> 112,715 KB (no TTS)

This is just for FYI if anyone is interested.

AJ
Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Hmmm...I might try this new update on my PPro. See if it is better than the dec FW version I'm using.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
AJ Starr
Guru

I just installed this latest FW on my PP and updated the Sticky with the versions numbers.

One thing I noticed in addition to the two facts above,

Coolreader has been removed.

So if you have been using Coolreader for your files, it is no longer there.

(If anyone updates to this FW and has Coolreader, please let me know which format you are reading with it. I only checked it with RTF. Otherwise I use epub.)

AJ
Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Hi AJ, do you know if there is someplace that has the info on the LBook firmware changes? The reason I ask is because I'm using the latest LBook firmware (Aug. 30), but it has the same version number on my Pocket Pro as the June 11 Firmware. Maybe they don't change version numbers, but I was just curious to see if there is someplace (preferably in English ) that lists the LBook changes. Thanks!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Hi AJ, do you know if there is someplace that has the info on the LBook firmware changes? The reason I ask is because I'm using the latest LBook firmware (Aug. 30), but it has the same version number on my Pocket Pro as the June 11 Firmware. Maybe they don't change version numbers, but I was just curious to see if there is someplace (preferably in English ) that lists the LBook changes. Thanks!

Sorry, I have only used the Astak software. But I'm sure someone will answer you soon.

AJ
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I was able to bring up an epub.fb2 file with no problem. However, this is still the FW I received on the unit fresh out of the box in mid-August, so it came from the factory that way.

The "about" page lists FB2 parser version: V2.00.100304.
(FW ver: V2.02ASTAK.100706)
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I just installed this latest FW on my PP and updated the Sticky with the versions numbers.

One thing I noticed in addition to the two facts above,

Coolreader has been removed.

So if you have been using Coolreader for your files, it is no longer there.

(If anyone updates to this FW and has Coolreader, please let me know which format you are reading with it. I only checked it with RTF. Otherwise I use epub.)

AJ
CoolReader has always been included for FB2 files. It is not missing. For other files it is generally not the default reader. You can always use cool reader by append the .fb2 extension to the end of the file. Only one or two releases included RTF as a format that defaulted to being read by coolreader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
tamzilla
Zealot

Thanks for the info on the TTS situation.

I can confirm that Cool Reader 3.0 is present in the 9/3/2010 firmware. I added the fb2 extension to an ePub file and Cool Reader opened the file. I don't know why Jinke would keep changing which program they use to open RTF. I guess they are having a hard time keeping track of what features are supposed to be on which reseller's firmware.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
This firmware is junk, like many from 2010 it has the keystroke swallowing problem.

This problem is manifested when you press a key and nothing happens, then you press a second key and it performs the action of the first key.

The swallowing does not occur in 2009 firmwares.

I still need to flash around and see when roughly it started happening because it's really bothering me a lot, these mini-interruptions in "flow".

It's a pity, because the 2009 firmwares aren't fully usable either, they don't have Coolreader 3.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Switch to Lbook firmware it has Cool Reader 3 on it. I use 6/22 version with no problems.
The contrast is much better as well.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote